Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeter Downs

Re: Jeter Downs

Nice start for the Reds CBA-first rounder.

27 PAs:

.318/.444/.591
    2 HR
    4 BB/5 K

In addition to the four walks in 27 PAs, Downs has reached a 3-ball count in four other plate appearances. If he can stick at SS, the Reds may have found their stud SS prospect. The bat looks really advanced for his age.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-07-2017),Griffey012 (07-07-2017),Knightro28 (07-07-2017),marcshoe (08-19-2017),Pacman Fever (07-07-2017),RedlegJake (07-07-2017),REDREAD (07-07-2017),reds44 (07-07-2017),RedTeamGo! (07-07-2017),Tom Servo (07-07-2017),UKFlounder (07-07-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I liked this pick from the Go!!
    Kinda hate to think if we had picked just one place sooner (Drew Rasmussen)
    I mean, imagine how screwed we'd all feel if both our 1st round pitchers never signed..........
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 07-07-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post
    I liked this pick from the Go!!
    Kinda hate to think if we had picked just one place sooner (Drew Rasmussen)
    I mean, imagine how screwed we'd all feel if both our 1st round pitchers never signed..........
    Well played.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Doug has a list of longest minor league HR's this season for the Reds. I was surprised to see Downs tied for second. He has four HR's overall this year. Is it possible that the Reds have a speed/power SS in the making?

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/08/...homers-week-7/

7. Likes:

REDREAD (08-23-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Doug has a list of longest minor league HR's this season for the Reds. I was surprised to see Downs tied for second. He has four HR's overall this year. Is it possible that the Reds have a speed/power SS in the making?

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/08/...homers-week-7/
    Downs was 2nd this week, not 2nd this season. His home run this week is tied for 11th of the ones I've got distances for (now over 200 homers). But yes, there's a reason Jeter Downs went where he went in the draft - can hit, can possibly remain at shortstop.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (08-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Downs was 2nd this week, not 2nd this season. His home run this week is tied for 11th of the ones I've got distances for (now over 200 homers). But yes, there's a reason Jeter Downs went where he went in the draft - can hit, can possibly remain at shortstop.
    He has 16 errors in 36 starts. Any reports on whether the problem is mostly throwing or the glove side?

Interesting comparison (and trust me I'm aware slash line scouting is not the be all end all) between Downs at Billings and Taylor Trammell the last two years

Downs: .274/.368/.438 with 28K and 21BB in 146 AB's

Trammell: .303/.374/.421 with 57 K and 23 BB in 228 AB's

Obviously all the small sample size caveats are there, and Downs' season in Billings isn't over yet, however it is interesting to see how the two compare at a similar stage, and it might be underappreciated what he is doing as a 19 year old in that league so far.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (08-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SYCMiniBus View Post
    Interesting comparison (and trust me I'm aware slash line scouting is not the be all end all) between Downs at Billings and Taylor Trammell the last two years

Downs: .274/.368/.438 with 28K and 21BB in 146 AB's

Trammell: .303/.374/.421 with 57 K and 23 BB in 228 AB's

Obviously all the small sample size caveats are there, and Downs' season in Billings isn't over yet, however it is interesting to see how the two compare at a similar stage, and it might be underappreciated what he is doing as a 19 year old in that league so far.
    And Downs is hitting this way as a SS.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (08-31-2017)

I'm as excited about Downs as anybody, but he got a signing bonus designated for players drafted #38 overall. Trammell was paid like he was the #12 draft pick. Their skill sets and talents have a noticeable difference imho. The 2017 draft was about putting all their eggs in the Hunter Greene basket.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The 2017 draft was about putting all their eggs in the Hunter Greene basket.
    Huh, well, I just don't agree with this. Just about every draft expert said the Reds knocked this draft out of the park and got a ton of value with downs and Fairchild.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Huh, well, I just don't agree with this. Just about every draft expert said the Reds knocked this draft out of the park and got a ton of value with downs and Fairchild.
    Agreed. The Reds signed 21 of their 25 top picka, missing out on 12, 14, 19, and 21. This was not all the eggs in the "Hunter Greene Basket". Their Top 5 picks were incredibly solid in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Well, semantically speaking. They could've signed someone under slot and gotten better prospects later in the draft like we saw with Senzel. Obviously no team goes into a draft with the idea that they're getting one player.

From the chat today:
    Lilith: Have you been impressed at all by Jeter Downs? Could he become a top 100 prospect in the next year or so? What are your thoughts on him?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Opinions on Downs are all over the place because some think he stays at short, some think he hits, some think he does one of those, some think he’ll do none. For me, he’s a 2B who has enough hitting ability and power to have a shot to be an everyday guy.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-...nside-a-dream/

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-05-2017)

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hunt...tional-league/
    SS Jeter Downs, the Reds’ comp-round pick from June, has also been impressive. Downs sprays hard contact to all fields and has shown enough arm strength to stay on the left side of the infield. I’ve yet to see his range and athleticism challenged, but what I’ve seen is pretty good.

22. Likes:

BillDoran (10-04-2017),Bourgeois Zee (10-04-2017),Edd Roush (10-04-2017),RED VAN HOT (10-04-2017),REDREAD (10-04-2017),StRedlegs900 (10-05-2017),Tom Servo (10-04-2017)

Turn Off Ads?