Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849 LastLast

Thread: 8/27/13 - Reds @ St. Louis

Re: 8/27/13 - Reds @ St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Honest question, how old are you? I know the "board rules" vary, depending on the poster, but how about an answer. I'm guessing between 15 and 25. Is that close?
    I will be 24 in October, I have been on Redszone since age 16.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I will be 24 in October, I have been on Redszone since age 16.
    Thanks, buddy. That's awesome. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. You're three years older than my Reds-loving son. He went away for college two years ago and left me without my usual traveling companion for UK, Reds and Bengals games.

I now have a different view of you, "Tom".

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Sorry, I don't speak that language (whatever it is).
    As i understand it, its an old cheer Coach Tressel used to give whenever he handed one of his players the keys to a new car. They've captured it on video. Tressel's the one in the hat. The other fellow is some guy named Gee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=263eG7HfwBM

To get back on topic......

we can't beat the Cardinals LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Really strange game thread...

Since when did college football talk become so much of a game thread, a game thread of a Reds-Cardinals game?

Tom, that game last night highlighted the essential difference this year between the Reds and Cardinals. I don't think folks here are Cardinal fans at all, we're all Reds fans. No the Cards aren't world beaters, and have been essentially a .500 team since May, but last night they continued to hit with RISP (if it is luck, they have been lucky all year) and played generally intelligent baseball- tagging from 1B on a fly to CF to get into scoring position for Craig, double steal of 2B and 3B with no outs to stay out of the double play. And the Reds continued to spiral down this Twilight zone funk they've been in lately, running into more outs on the basepaths, throwing to the wrong base (BP with bases load and one out, on the sharply hit ball right to him, tailor made DP, turns to throw to 1B, pump fakes Votto, and then goes to Cozart at 2B, thus eliminating the DP. Ultimately, that play had nothing to do with the outcome of the game, as it was already lost, but it was just another in a long line of blunders on the field and the basepaths. It's like the Reds are playing in a thick fog of late.
    sorry we're boring

7. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    It's like the Reds are playing in a thick fog of late.
    Would you go so far as to call it "gutless baseball"? That seems to be the biggest font in my mind's word cloud during the last two series. I hate it, and try to make it go away, but the Reds won't let me.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Would you go so far as to call it "gutless baseball"? That seems to be the biggest font in my mind's word cloud during the last two series. I hate it, and try to make it go away, but the Reds won't let me.
    No, not gutless because that implies something deeper, more sinister, something far more personal. I don't know these men at all, certainly not enough to call them gutless.
    sorry we're boring

10. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-28-2013)

Why do the Reds turn into the Cubs when they play the Cardinals? Pitiful, plumb pitiful. Think we have four big games with them next week in GABP.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

No, not gutless because that implies something deeper, more sinister, something far more personal. I don't know these men at all, certainly not enough to call them gutless.
    Ha! Dang, I guess your definition of "gutless baseball" and mine differ QUITE a lot. I wasn't conjuring up visions of Joey Votto sitting in a chair planning world domination while stroking his cat and laughing maniacally a la Dr. Claw.

I was just thinking they play w/ no attention to detail, inspiration or intent to grind the game out. It certainly wasn't an attack on any front other than on-the-field behavior.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Ha! Dang, I guess your definition of "gutless baseball" and mine differ QUITE a lot. I wasn't conjuring up visions of Joey Votto sitting in a chair planning world domination while stroking his cat and laughing maniacally a la Dr. Claw.

I was just thinking they play w/ no attention to detail, inspiration or intent to grind the game out. It certainly wasn't an attack on any front other than on-the-field behavior.
    I guess it depends on what your definition of gutless is - to me that adjective implies cowardness. I wouldn't go that far.

World domination? Not sure where that came from!

I do agree with your 2nd sentence, their attention to detail has been lacking of late, and they don't appear to be very inspired. I don't think anyone needs to inspire them though, inspiration should come from within, from the excitement of being in a pennant race at the end of August.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Why do the Reds turn into the Cubs when they play the Cardinals? Pitiful, plumb pitiful. Think we have four big games with them next week in GABP.
    Even if we win today and sweep at home, we still lose the season series 9-10.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    As i understand it, its an old cheer Coach Tressel used to give whenever he handed one of his players the keys to a new car. They've captured it on video. Tressel's the one in the hat. The other fellow is some guy named Gee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=263eG7HfwBM
    Dude. Tressel is gone. Move on. You got your wish and the nice guy with the sweatervest is no longer. I hope all the Tressel angst was worth it, because you will miss him when Urban is going for two up by 5 TD’s. No more Mr. nice guy. No more playing backup’s and taking a knee late. Again, you got your wish and now you must live with it. If Tressel provided you this much torment, I can’t imagine how much Urban will drive you crazy.

I have some advice for you. Stay away from college sports and stick with the Reds and pro sports. You are a way more rational poster in that category.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I wish the Reds played like the Cubs against the Cardinals. We'd probably be in first place. Don't the little bears actually have a winning record vs. St Lewie over the last 7-8 seasons?

Randomness does not seem to apply to the Reds/Cardinals. They are in the heads of the good guys. No doubt about it.

Homey needs to deliver bigtime today. I have little confidence that will actually happen, but am clinging to the Random gods of baseball delivering some much needed justice to the Universe later today. The Reds do seem to fair well against Wainwright on occassion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Saw the score was 2-0 in the 2nd inning and didn't watch the rest because it was already over. The reds are Pedro Martinez and the cardinals are their daddy.
    I did the same thing.. Saw that Latos didn't have his "A game" and just assumed it was a lost cause. Got some stuff done. Checked the final score and I was glad I didn't sit through it.

I'm still a fan, but I will probably do the same thing tonight to preserve my mental health. I don't have much confidence that Homer will outpitch Wainright. Now, I hope this line will get thrown back in my face
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I guess it depends on what your definition of gutless is - to me that adjective implies cowardness. I wouldn't go that far.

World domination? Not sure where that came from!

I do agree with your 2nd sentence, their attention to detail has been lacking of late, and they don't appear to be very inspired. I don't think anyone needs to inspire them though, inspiration should come from within, from the excitement of being in a pennant race at the end of August.
    I see where you're going. I guess "gutless" in baseball and "gutless" in real life are two different things for me. Subjectivity of situation and all that. The world domination bit was just a joke. When I hear the word "sinister" I think of super villains. Dr. Claw, Cobra Commander, Skeletor, etc...

I agree, inspiration should come from within as well as the motivation to pay attention to detail and feel good about the way you played. If they play well and get beat...so what?...no big deal.

If they dog it and get embarrassed....the off-season is VERY long.

19. Likes:

Always Red (08-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?