Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

I'd be more worried about the Olympics than the World Cup. Most Brazilians will care deeply about the World Cup even if they're pissed that the average citizen is being screwed in the process. For the Olympics, they're just going to be very, very angry. I would want nothing to do with Rio in the summer of '16.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As long as Brazil wins you should be fine.

Glad I picked the Germany 06 cup to go to instead of this one.

Short of some government collapse, I think the Brazilians will hash out some deal to get the stadiums done and beef up security in time, and FIFA will give them every opportunity to come through. Last thing Sepp Blatter wants is egg on his face for giving the Cup to the wrong country. Plus if Brazil fails, it all but guarantees that UEFA head Michel Platini gets Sepp's job. Blatter has been able to keep his job for so long by giving sweetheart deals to just about everybody outside the US and Europe.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Short of some government collapse, I think the Brazilians will hash out some deal to get the stadiums done and beef up security in time, and FIFA will give them every opportunity to come through. Last thing Sepp Blatter wants is egg on his face for giving the Cup to the wrong country. Plus if Brazil fails, it all but guarantees that UEFA head Michel Platini gets Sepp's job. Blatter has been able to keep his job for so long by giving sweetheart deals to just about everybody outside the US and Europe.
    Sepp should be in a prison somewhere.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Belize is terrible

They also said the Same about the Greek Olympics, Bejing Olympics and South Africa WC. More threats than anything in order to get them to put there arse in to gear.

Either way finacias are going to stop me from going to Brazil next year, hopefully i'll get back on the WC train for Russia. Hope Russia will be the same as it was when i last went in 2010 $4 bottles of vodka and 3 litre bottles of beer for not much more.
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

9. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-10-2013)

He couldn't give a toss, his pockets have already been lined with millions of dollors worth of bribes.
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    They also said the Same about the Greek Olympics, Bejing Olympics and South Africa WC. More threats than anything in order to get them to put there arse in to gear.

Either way finacias are going to stop me from going to Brazil next year, hopefully i'll get back on the WC train for Russia. Hope Russia will be the same as it was when i last went in 2010 $4 bottles of vodka and 3 litre bottles of beer for not much more.
    They always talk about fiasco in financing world events. In reality places that already have the infrastructure in place are the countries that are better able to hold large events. But if you look back to London you still had issues popping up from time to time about construction delays and funding issues.

The problem with Brasil they were given the World Cup and Olympics within a couple of years. In hindsight it wouldn't seem smart to give two massive events to a developing country who doesn't have the proper infrastructure in place.

12. Likes:

Slyder (07-10-2013)

I've said that the US won't get a world cup for much the same reason LA won't get an NFL team. We're so effective as a threat that if X, Y & Z aren't met, they'll move the World Cup to the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Belize is terrible
    It is really nice that our B team is doing to terrible teams what we should be doing. That hasn't always been the case.

He couldn't give a toss, his pockets have already been lined with millions of dollors worth of bribes.
    I don't think it's the money that's important to him as much as the power and access he gets as head of FIFA. If it was just about money, he could have retired and bought a small island with a secret lair under a volcano by now. From what I gather, he really gets his kicks being able to fly into most countries in the world and receive treatment as if he were a visiting head of state. The guy loves having the leaders of developing countries give him the royal treatment in exchange for FIFA "grants" to build soccer facilities, which inevitably find their way into offshore bank accounts of government and sports officials.

He got pretty Machiavellian with his former henchmen Mohammed Bin Hamman and Jack Warner when they dared challenge his position as King of the soccer world.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It is really nice that our B team is doing to terrible teams what we should be doing. That hasn't always been the case.
    Well if they keep it up, it will give the USMNT more depth than it's had in any previous World Cup. In the past, the US has had issues with being a little thin on talented players with International experience. Injuries to key players could be devastating and coaches often kept older players around past their expiration date. I'm intrigued by how Klinsmann might work Donovan and some of these guys into the primary lineup between now and Brazil.

Well if they keep it up, it will give the USMNT more depth than it's had in any previous World Cup. In the past, the US has had issues with being a little thin on talented players with International experience. Injuries to key players could be devastating and coaches often kept older players around past their expiration date. I'm intrigued by how Klinsmann might work Donovan and some of these guys into the primary lineup between now and Brazil.
    It's a ways off but I like something like this:

Altidore Donovan
    Dempsey
    (Jones/Cameron/Holden) Bradley Zusi
    Chandler Gonzo Besler TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They always talk about fiasco in financing world events. In reality places that already have the infrastructure in place are the countries that are better able to hold large events. But if you look back to London you still had issues popping up from time to time about construction delays and funding issues.

The problem with Brasil they were given the World Cup and Olympics within a couple of years. In hindsight it wouldn't seem smart to give two massive events to a developing country who doesn't have the proper infrastructure in place.
    I agree unless the plan is to host the World Cup and then convert the stadiums into use for various events (track and field for example) for the Olympics. Even still thats a lot of stuff to prepare for (multiple billion if not trillion dollar events).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?