Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What college did you go to and what did you major in?

Re: What college did you go to and what did you major in?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I disagree. I was a Sports and Rec. Major at Temple University and ended up getting an internship with the Frederick Keys (Orioles A club) after my freshman year. It was in Group sales and boy did I hate it. Working 9-4 during the offseason and during away games, while working 8 from an hour until the game ended (usually around 11:00 but I've gotten out as late as 1:30 thanks to rain delays). It was comprised of a lot of b*tch work (phone calls, getting events set up, and doing nothing). I really felt like I wasn't getting much of an education (including the internship and the classes) so I decided to change to Accounting. I like it a lot better, and although not the most interesting job in the world, I'm actually learning quite a lot and there will be some money out there for me once I graduate which will be in a year.

I heard a saying once, "Don't make your hobby your profession, or else you'll grow to hate it." Well, I'm not sure if that's completely true in any case, but I found there to be some sort of relevance in it, atleast for me.
    I wasn't a fan of interning in minor league baseball either, but I spent two years with the Cleveland Cavaliers and loved every moment of it. The hours are long and the pay isn't the greatest but I'd much rather work in sports than anywhere else. I guess to each his own. Good to know that you found something you don't want to do for your career, that's what internships are best for in my opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

UC, BA in Mass Comm ... which means I'm a data analyst now. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I was very close to Sports Admin at UC, but ended up doing Pharmacy. Oh well we'll see how it goes.
    If you can be successful in the pharmacy program and want to stay in this region, stay with it. It'll be competitive and pretty tough while in school, however, there's a possibility that there could be a shortage of pharmacists in the Cincinnati area in the next 5-10 years.

Plus they make pretty good coin too.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    I wasn't a fan of interning in minor league baseball either, but I spent two years with the Cleveland Cavaliers and loved every moment of it. The hours are long and the pay isn't the greatest but I'd much rather work in sports than anywhere else. I guess to each his own. Good to know that you found something you don't want to do for your career, that's what internships are best for in my opinion.

It's funny you say that because that's exactly the reason I wouldn't take anything back. That's a big thing that's overlooked about how important internships are. Sure, you can learn a lot about the in's and out's of the industry, but most importantly you can decide whether or not you're cut out for the profession.

Ohio State 2007, journalism degree. But I'm going back to get a master's in education.

University of Cincinnati - Political Science
    NKU/Chase - J.D. (in progress)
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    I'll be driving out Labor day weekend, thanks for your help man
    Welcome to LA. Where you living?

Indiana University, BS Computer Information Systems
    Indiana University, BS Management

Same school as Michael Phelps.

Masters Degree - MBA
    Last edited by MWM; 08-21-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    THE Berklee College of Music - B.A. in Jazz Composition (1990)
    Very prestigious school. But it's funny. I seriously have met about 20-30 people who have attended Berklee and only about 2 or 3 (including you) who graduated. It seems like most people either become a star and drop out (Quincy Jones) or get discouraged that they're not a star and drop out.

Vassar College, A.B. Political Science
    UMass-Amherst, M.S. Sport Management
    Suffolk University, J.D. Laws and Stuff

Perhaps the most important lesson I learned along the way. "Student Loans are not dischargable in bankurptcy."
    Stick to your guns.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

Same school as Michael Phelps.

Masters Degree - MBA
    So not to hijack the thread, but are the people at your office p.o'ed that he's going to be on a Frosty Flakes box?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1065/SPORTS17
    Stick to your guns.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

University of Arizona - English Lit & American History (2000)

Currently working in a field that has nothing to do with English Lit or American History.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I took alot of the pre-reqs the are involved in pre-pharmacy over the last couple years and had satisfied alot of the others during my undergrad years.
    You can always switch pretty easily from pre-pharm to bio or chemistry for a major.
    All I am saying is the pharmacy school is a huge financial and time commitment and very competitive. Think about what you want out of life right now before diving headlong into a something that can be very life consuming.
    My advice: Take your basic classes, don't sweat a career like pharmacy for a few years and go start a band or something.
    You're scaring me .

The thing that is keeping me with my decision is that I didn't know that pharmacy was big money till after I picked it. I went onto the Bureau of Labor's website and saw some of those #s and it got me excited.

Sounds very strenuous and apparently it is evolving into more patient care than Pharmacists have done in the past. If it doesn't work out i'll probably end up in Chem or Bio..maybe Sports Management or Business.

Don't need to worry about that now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    So not to hijack the thread, but are the people at your office p.o'ed that he's going to be on a Frosty Flakes box?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1065/SPORTS17
    Probably. I hadn't seen that. A little surprising.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Case Western Reserve University- BA in Psychology, 2006
    John F. Kennedy University- MA in Sport Psychology and PsyD in Clinical Psychology, anticipated graduation in 2011
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Amarillo College

Associate of Science in Business Administration

Turn Off Ads?