Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tom Bosley, "Mr. Cunningham" R.I.P.

Tom Bosley, "Mr. Cunningham" R.I.P.

I would speculate that Tom Bosley was the TV Father lots of us grew up with.

Not the week for TV parents following Barbara Billingsley.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/397433...ent/?GT1=43001
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tom Bosley, "Mr. Cunningham" R.I.P.

So with Mrs Cleaver the other day, Mr C today, we all know these things come in 3s. I'd be on the ready if I was a TV parent during the 50s/60s/70s.

Rest in peace Tom Bosley.

Best episode of "Happy Days": in the first season, Richie and Potsie get invited to a poker game at the local college, and get hustled. Richie tells his dad about it. Mr. C takes Richie back to the poker game and asks to join. They let him deal, and he whips out some mad poker skills, out-hustling the hustlers and winning back the boys' money.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

You know I thought the show was OK, but then after that episode where Fonzie is water skiing I think the show really took off to become iconic

I agree, the poker episode was great, I forgot all about it until you just mentioned it. Reminds me of how my friend learned to play poker. He was the guy in high school that people would go out of their way to pick up, would make sure to swing him by the ATM, etc... Eventually his father found out how often he was losing (the actual money amounts were small as we were playing nickle-dime-quarter games), but he wasn't going to stand for it. He told my friend, you're going to learn to play the game the right way, or you're going to give it up. His father grew up playing w/ Chip Reese and another poker tour regular from the Dayton area (can't remember the name) and was very good. They played down in their basement every evening for cash (same nickle-dime-quarter rules, but he was going to make the relatively poor HS student feel the pain of losing real car wash paychecks otherwise he wouldn't learn) until he learned to play the game the right way.

I am sorry to hear this. Happy Days was one of my favorites when I was a youngin'.

Yes they come in three's it seems. If I played a part of parent back in the day I would be checking to make sure my life insurance is up to date.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Tom Bosley made his movie debut in one of my favorite movies, "Love With The Perfect Stranger." He was the guy Natalie Wood's character's parents were trying to fix her up with, but in the end she winds up with Steve McQueen' s character (who had previously gotten her pregnant). I always assumed that women thought that was really a tough choice, Tom Bosley or Steve McQueen?
    I too really liked Bosley as "Mr. C" and he always seemed like he was personally a good guy. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Anyone around here old enough to remember the prime time cartoon for adults by Hanna/Barbara called "Wait 'till Your Father Gets Home"? It only ran for a couple years (1972-74) but Tom Bosley was the voice for the typical father in a suburban household trying to raise lazy, hippie kids. It was another traditional father role for him to play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wait_Ti...ther_Gets_Home

WTYFGH was almost as good as Where's Huddles

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Anyone around here old enough to remember the prime time cartoon for adults by Hanna/Barbara called "Wait 'till Your Father Gets Home"? It only ran for a couple years (1972-74) but Tom Bosley was the voice for the typical father in a suburban household trying to raise lazy, hippie kids. It was another traditional father role for him to play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wait_Ti...ther_Gets_Home
    I loved that show. I was seven.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

When my son was younger, he and I enjoyed the animated show David and the Gnomes. I believe this was on Nickalodeon. Bosley did the voice for David the Gnome.

Turn Off Ads?