c. His walk/hit ratio probably isn't good enough
    d. Most prospects don't make it to the bigs
    e. We overrate our prospects
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I think Valakai is great

jaxred, this is all true, however, I get to see him for free tonight (a friend is giving me tix), so, I don't care. :-) More importantly, is Sean Watson starting tonight?

Sean Watson IS pitching tonight. He's been pitching great....

Disclaimer:

a. I realize all Reds prospects are crap
    b. I'm sure he's too old for the league
    c. His strikeout/walk ratio probably isn't good enough
    d. Most prospects don't make it to the bigs
    e. We overrate our prospects
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Valaika's been awesome so far. He's probably not going to be a SS in the majors and maybe he'll hit a ceiling somewhere, but he's been 100% baseball player to date. One of the more astute, IMO, observations Bill James ever made is that guys who can play baseball often get overlooked for guys who cut a nice figure in the uniform. Valaika definitely seems like the former.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Funny disclaimers, Jax.

A couple of notes about Valaika -- he was young for a college draftee -- played most of last year at 20 (21 this year). Factor in that he missed his sophomore year with a knee injury. His polish has been aided by a lot of international play on national teams as a teenager.

Also, his 32-game hitting streak last year at Billings -- a Pioneer League record -- came without the benefit of a day off (or a game off, at least). It can be brutally hot in that league, and it's typical for managers to rotate their guys some to keep them fresh. Valaika just kept playing and hitting -- you have to like that kind of grinding.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jaxred!

Lets also note that Valaika is leading the MWL in hitting as he is actually at .410. Must be that overrated part of him that gets those extra 10 points.

I've got to get up to Dayton sometime soon to watch some of these guys, especially Valaika. All he's done since being in the Reds organization is hit, hit, and hit some more.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

If he continues to play like he is how long will he be in Dayton? It seems worthless for him to be playing in Dayton when he could be challenging himself at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If he continues to play like he is how long will he be in Dayton? It seems worthless for him to be playing in Dayton when he could be challenging himself at a higher level.
    yep, I say if he keeps hitting he should be in Sarasota by June. Challenge thy hitters.
    Go BLUE!!!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Despite all the hitting, though, he's also made four errors in ten games already. Certainly not terribly unusual for A-ball, but just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Despite all the hitting, though, he's also made four errors in ten games already. Certainly not terribly unusual for A-ball, but just saying.
    I think he made 3 of those errors in 1 game.

Please Jax, where did I say Valakai isn't good? The guy was one of the most savvy picks in last years draft. But like all prospects, we need more data. A eventually trip to Sarasota may tell us a little more about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Please Jax, where did I say Valakai isn't good? The guy was one of the most savvy picks in last years draft. But like all prospects, we need more data. A eventually trip to Sarasota may tell us a little more about him.
    From what I can gather of your recent posts, everytime Cameron Maybin draws a walk the chances of a Reds prospect reaching the majors decreases. Hence Jax's disclaimer list.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-20-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From what I can gather of your recent posts, everytime Cameron Maybin draws a walk the chances of a Reds prospect reaching the majors decreases. Hence Jax's disclaimer list.
    Not reaching the majors, but full potential in the majors. If Bruce walked 100 times this year, that would be great news for his future.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

How about Valaika at 3B?

If he keeps hitting and he can play there, maybe we try EE at 1B and see between he and Votto which one sticks. Trade the other.

Turn Off Ads?