Thread: Salmon over other veteran junk

Salmon over other veteran junk

Salmon has good stuff

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Re: Salmon over other veteran junk

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Salmon has good stuff
    Exactly who are you speaking of as far as veterans ( righties)?
    Cordero, Weathers,Burton are set.
    I have been very impressed with Reonicke also.

Cordero, Weathers, Burton are locks. So is Bill Bray if he's ready physically. I'd also say Affeldt will likely be in the bullpen. That's five spots. Perhaps it will be Coffey, Roenicke, and Salmon fighting over the last two spots, though that would not leave a long man.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Cordero, Weathers, Burton are locks. So is Bill Bray if he's ready physically. I'd also say Affeldt will likely be in the bullpen. That's five spots. Perhaps it will be Coffey, Roenicke, and Salmon fighting over the last two spots, though that would not leave a long man.
    Yeah, I forgot about Coffey.
    He has pitched well so far this ST. There was just something about Salmon last season that didnt impress me. Dont know what it was though. Sounds silly.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Salmon has some serious power to his pitching but he was very erratic last year. I think he's got a lot of potential though and he should do better having some major league experience behind him now. I like his pitching too.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

got alil captain in u?

Salmon has very good stuff but like heatherC said he was very erratic last year. He needs to tune it all up and finish spring strong. If he does this he could very well find himself in one of the final spots in the pen this sesason.

I like Salmon. I don't see him as more than a 6th-7th inning pitcher though. He doesn't have that second pitch to put him in a setup or closers role.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about Coffey.
    There was just something about Salmon last season that didnt impress me. Dont know what it was though. Sounds silly.
    Yeah it does,
    I hope it wasn't his low ERA which was #4 out of 24
    (Starters & Pen)
    I hope it wasn't that he managed to stay healthy all year

One can only guess how well he & some of the other PenPals

I can tell you what didn't impress me, and that was how little Jerry and Pete used him last year

coffey is another majewski

I have a very high opinion of Brad Salmon. he put up the 3rd lowest ERA among Reds bullpen hurlers last year(even in limited action), and has followed it up with a good spring training so far. I would say there are only 3 locks(Weathers, Cordero, and Burton) and the rest are all fighting for roster spots.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    coffey is another majewski
    I don't agree with that at all. I like Coffey's arm and I'm not giving up on him because of 1 sub par season when everyone in the BP but Weathers and Burton sucked. Coffey was very good two years ago and he's a hard worker. I do believe that because of last year he has more to prove, but I still think he'll be successful.

As for Salmon, I like anybody that runs it up there 94-96 mph. I don't know what the pen will look like, but there aren't any Chris Hammonds or Ricky Stone's running in from left center field.

Anybody heard any reports on Valenzuela the Rule 5 pickup? I haven't scene his name mentioned all spring.
    Last edited by Orenda; 03-08-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Salmon could swim upstream this summer.

Thanks. Try the veal.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I like Salmon. I don't see him as more than a 6th-7th inning pitcher though. He doesn't have that second pitch to put him in a setup or closers role.
    If I remember right they were stretching him out some in Louisville last year, he threw multiple three inning stretches. So the Reds might see him as a long relief type of guy, and I think he has a shot to make the team in that role (unless it's Cueto taking that role).

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    If I remember right they were stretching him out some in Louisville last year, he threw multiple three inning stretches. So the Reds might see him as a long relief type of guy, and I think he has a shot to make the team in that role (unless it's Cueto taking that role).
    Ideally, I'd like to have Belisle forced out of the rotation by Cueto, Bailey, and Volquez. Then he'd take that long relief role, where he's best suited.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?