Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone think Hairston has earned a future here?

Anyone think Hairston has earned a future here?

I like this guy. He's been on fire ever since he found out he's had a cracked rib the past couple years and had it heal. 3 for 5 tonight, I think this guy would be a solid LF or RF if Griffey and/or Dunn aren't back, he's a solid contact hitter even if he doesn't hit for power. Keep him around, he should have got Patterson's paycheck.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Re: Anyone think Hairston has earned a future here?

In spring training he kind of got lumped into the same category as Corey Patterson, that being one of "Dusty's boys." But after going to Louisville and waiting for his time, he has stepped out of Dusty's "shadow" and proven himself as a Reds regular. Is he a long term member? If Javy Valentin can stick around for a long time, Hairston has a chance too.

Stat geek...and proud

Sure, if he's the Hairston from 2003-2004. It's too soon to tell if he's THAT guy or not, or the sub-average player from the past few years. I think playing everyday for 600 ABs in a season his weaknesses would be exposed, but in a Freel type role, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Sure, if he's the Hairston from 2003-2004. It's too soon to tell if he's THAT guy or not, or the sub-average player from the past few years. I think playing everyday for 600 ABs in a season his weaknesses would be exposed, but in a Freel type role, why not?
    He apparently cracked a rib in an O's game like TWO years ago, and didn't know it. He just attributed it to getting older. Who knows what effect that's had on him. Now he's healthy and been tearing it up. Maybe he's back to his old self just because he's healed.

got alil captain in u?

If he continues to hit like this all year i dont' see why not. Now Im sure he's not going to continue this pace. He can play 2nd and SS as well as all 3 of spots and that's a very valuable bench player. Still has speed at his age and can swipe a few bases.

He can take Freel's role over. Spell every outfield position , and 3B and 2B. But, when Keppinger comes back, I don't want to see Hairston EVER playing SS.

Hairston fits that mold of the "versatile player" that the reds have been high on for the last few years. They look for players that can play multiple positions and Hairston has done just that. If he continues to get on base with regularity and steal bases at a high clip like he has, I think that he sticks around for a few years. Like one of the previous posts says, he fits that Freel role well, and we've seemed to have found him plenty of playing time over the last 3 years. I'm a fan of the guy, I hope that we continues to get ABs when Keppinger gets back.

He was traded for both Sammy Sosa and Phil Nevin, so he obviously was highly considered at some point. He has great pedigree and is clearly a "baseball" player, had it in his blood, literally.

I wouldn't mind the Reds signing him for next year to be the centerfielder and leadoff hitter. They are going to need one, even if they re-sign Dunn.

Now, clearly this was a Dusty pickup, so do you think that this one makes up for Patterson? Just curiously, would you rather have Patterson and Hairston, or neither?

I'm not a fan of cheaters. Hairston is a cheater. Cut him loose.

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    I'm not a fan of cheaters. Hairston is a cheater. Cut him loose.
    He didn't cheat. He bought HGH with a presciption in 2004 (he actually denies it, but so does Clemens) when it was legal according to MLB rules. It was later added to a list of illegal drugs. There is no evidence that he used it or bought it after it was added to the list.

What he did was wrong, but it was not cheating.

I like the guy in a super utility role such as Freel.I do like he has some fire in him and not afraid to show some emotion.

If Hairston can play at this current level all year it's a no-brainer. Pencil him into the lineup and throw away the pencil. He's not only hitting great right now, but he's playing with a fire and high energy that I love to see. It fits right in with the young guys like Votto and Bruce who are also out there every game burning for wins.

Yeah, Hairston's usage of HGH has really propelled him into the all-time HR leaders category. He's made millions because how much muscle he's put on and how much power he exhibits. I'm sure they are plenty of players we will never hear about who possibly "tried" steroids or HGH, but didn't become regular users/abusers.....and clearly it had no impact on Hairston's ability or career. He's playing much better now than he ever is, and he's got to be clean.

I like the guy. Between Freel, Patterson, and Hairston, he's the only one that has produced. Freel is a nutcase and Patterson just stinks. When Keppinger comes back, I'd love to see Hairston as the everyday CFer. Next year's lineup:

CF Hairston
    SS Keppinger
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF RH power bat
    3B EE
    C Ross/Bako

My favorite part of Hairston is his approach at the plate. With 2 strikes he has a really short quick stroke and chokes up on the bat. This allows him to battle at the plate when in a hole. It doesnt translate to hits or average but it makes him a more difficult out and makes the pitchers work before they get to Bruce, Griffey, and Dunn

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

I think you have to bring back a guy that can play a passable OF, SS and 2B and isn't named Ryan Freel.

Turn Off Ads?