Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Homer Bailey for Wil Myers?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 46.55%
  • No

31 53.45%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you...Homer Bailey for Wil Myers?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Would you...Homer Bailey for Wil Myers?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    The dude is still only 26 years old. I know he has been around the Reds forever but he is ONLY 26 years old. If he stays a 2-3-4 in the rotation, he's done more than most guys who were projected to be "aces".

Also, he could easily pitch at a 2-3 level for the next 12 years...he hasn't even started yet.

Tell me he wasn't rushed to the Reds...he was...and now he is figuring it out.

Sorry, I know it sound slike I am jumping all over you but I really do not mean to, I just read that and thought "wow, 26 years old and he is supposed to have everything figured out...wow".
    Could not agree more. People have gotten tired of waiting for Homer to become what he was supposed to become but everybody forgets how early he was rushed to the bigs. He was nowhere near ready and I think that's only pushed him further back due to it hurting his confidence. Just my 2 cents of course.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    No. Once you get pitching you hang on to it. Don't believe the garbage that says:"In order to get talent you have to give up talent." That is for teams who who can't seem to make decent trades.

How much legitimate talent has been acquired by teams who leave us scratching our head because they didn't give up anything?
    When did Jim Bowden start posting on RedsZone?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Wow. Lots of varying opinions in this thread. Here's my take:

Homer Bailey
    I've not been in his camp at all for most of his career, citing Cueto beating him to the majors amid all the hype about Bailey. But by the end of 2012, clearly Bailey was pitching as well, if not better than any starting pitcher in our rotation. I was very impressed and very confident in him. In the past, I've been bothered by his chronic injuries that have kept him from pitching 30 starts. But he trained hard last offseason and had a solid, if not very good season. An e.r.a. in the mid-3.00's is very good today. And he's only 26. I think he gets better and better from here on out. My only concern about Homer would be if he regresses back to some fragility and misses a bunch of starts here and there. That would be the ONLY reason I'd consider trading him.....OR.......some team overpays to get him, which I don't see happening. I can't remember the Reds ever having a starting pitching rotation so young and so good in my lifetime. I'm reluctant to tinker with it, honestly.

Myers
    Would be a young, cheap, under control solution to the ongoing void in LF, no doubt. Answer to clean up hitter too, possibly. I'd rather trade Leake and one of Corcino or Cingrani. Although I'm a bit hesitant to do that if the Reds don't feel they can pony up enough money to sign Arroyo post-2013, which leads to the need for Cingrani or Corcino to step up. And I highly doubt KC would trade their top prospect for Leake and one of our top triple A pitchers........but maybe they would.

It almost seems like so many questions could be answered by mid-2013 or the end of the season, such as Hamilton, Corcino, and Cingrani's progress/future with the team. And you could throw in Gregorius too. I realize BP, Votto and others aren't getting any younger. But theoretically, this team should be better next season than it was this season. Part of me wants to stand pat and see how the major league club does and how our future stars in the farm system progress. Hamilton might surprise and be in the majors sooner than expected.......or not. But if he makes that leap, you save yourself from trading for a rental.

Another thought is, what if 2013 brings a rash of injuries to the major league club and they falter and have a mediocre season? Surely, then you can wheel and deal a bit at that point too.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 11-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Doubt the Royals would go for it, but if they did agree, I'd jump at it before they had a chance to re-think. I love Homer and would much rather deal Leake from the rotation if I had a choice, but for a young cotrollable bat like Myers? Hell yeah! Especially if they're moving Aroldis to the rotation. I'd also think about re-visiting the rumored Garza/Dejesus deal with the Baby Bears and I'd sign Madson.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Doubt the Royals would go for it, but if they did agree, I'd jump at it before they had a chance to re-think. I love Homer and would much rather deal Leake from the rotation if I had a choice, but for a young cotrollable bat like Myers? Hell yeah! Especially if they're moving Aroldis to the rotation. I'd also think about re-visiting the rumored Garza/Dejesus deal with the Baby Bears and I'd sign Madson.
    I'd do all that too if money was no object. How do they fit all that into a $92 Million payroll?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Homer is a good pitcher but not anywhere near the ace he was hyped to be. I don't think his stuff is as good as it was in the minors, his average fastball last year was 92.4. He was supposed to be the next Roger Clemens. Realistically I would say hes a very solid #3 and I doubt he can pitch as good as he did for the last part of last year for a whole season. If you can get a middle of the order bat for him then you sell high and move him. We also have to consider that Homer is going to start getting more and more expensive, 2012 is probably the last year we get him below market value. If the Royals would trade Myers for him I think you have to make that deal especially with Chapman ready to come into the rotation, and good options in the minors.

How is Myers' glove?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    How is Myers' glove?
    He's played some CF and runs decently, he'd probably make a capable LF at least.

Plus he's a former catcher so I imagine he's got at least a decent arm.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Homer is a good pitcher but not anywhere near the ace he was hyped to be. I don't think his stuff is as good as it was in the minors, his average fastball last year was 92.4. He was supposed to be the next Roger Clemens. Realistically I would say hes a very solid #3 and I doubt he can pitch as good as he did for the last part of last year for a whole season. If you can get a middle of the order bat for him then you sell high and move him.
    Problem is, Myers is middle of the order bat in the same way that Homer was a sure-fire Cy Young winner. Like Homer when he was everyone's favorite pitching prospect, we haven't seen Myers warts yet. For all we know, Myers might be the second coming of Albert Pujols .... or the second coming of Andy Marte.

One day there will be a Bailey thread where the phrase "he was supposed to be an ace" won't be brought up.

It's no longer relevant to me, I think he should be discussed on his merits, not his projection 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    One day there will be a Bailey thread where the phrase "he was supposed to be an ace" won't be brought up.

It's no longer relevant to me, I think he should be discussed on his merits, not his projection 5 years ago.
    Seriously. The fact that Homer Bailey was the second coming of Roger Clemens six years ago means little at this point. Him and Bruce can't seem to do anything without it being viewed against what a scout projected a half decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd do all that too if money was no object. How do they fit all that into a $92 Million payroll?
    Same way they were going to do it with last year's budget.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Homer is a good pitcher but not anywhere near the ace he was hyped to be. I don't think his stuff is as good as it was in the minors, his average fastball last year was 92.4. He was supposed to be the next Roger Clemens. Realistically I would say hes a very solid #3 and I doubt he can pitch as good as he did for the last part of last year for a whole season. If you can get a middle of the order bat for him then you sell high and move him. We also have to consider that Homer is going to start getting more and more expensive, 2012 is probably the last year we get him below market value. If the Royals would trade Myers for him I think you have to make that deal especially with Chapman ready to come into the rotation, and good options in the minors.
    Homer Bailey is already better than a very solid #3 starting pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Homer Bailey is already better than a very solid #3 starting pitcher.
    Doug, serious question not trying to argue. Last year was Baileys first year with an ERA under 4.5ish, looking at his stats what tells you that 12 wasnt just everything going his way and that 2011 isn't really the real Bailey? His WHIP, HR/9 , SO/9 were all pretty much the same and he still gives up about a hit per inning. If he can keep his ERA in the mid 3's then your right he is more then a #3 but I'm just not convinced that he can.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Doug, serious question not trying to argue. Last year was Baileys first year with an ERA under 4.5ish, looking at his stats what tells you that 12 wasnt just everything going his way and that 2011 isn't really the real Bailey? His WHIP, HR/9 , SO/9 were all pretty much the same and he still gives up about a hit per inning. If he can keep his ERA in the mid 3's then your right he is more then a #3 but I'm just not convinced that he can.
    Personally, I thought he had some crappy luck in both 10 and 11. I had dug up the information a long time ago (don't have the time to re-dig them up), but IIRC his peripherals suggested his numbers "should've" been much better than they were both seasons. Take it FWIW.

Turn Off Ads?