Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Do you use 'string savers'?

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I haven't used string savers, but should probably look into it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Once I started using them, it about doubled the life between string jobs for me. If you are paying a lot for stringing, that could save you a fair amount of money if you tend to go through strings quickly. It also keeps the strings from moving around each time you strike the ball, creating a more consistent string pattern.You should be able to find them in a good sporting goods store or 'pro shop'. Seems to me they are about $4-$5/ pack. Personally, I prefer the Babolat Elastro Cross II brand but there are other brands on the market. If not, you can order them from www.tenniswarehouse.com . Don't bother to pay your stringer to put them in unless you want to observe the pattern that he puts in. They're easy to use and you can do it yourself while you watch a match on TV. Some people feel that string savers increase the tenssion by a pound or two when they are put in so they will lower their string weight a pound or two when they string so they will back off on the string tennsion a pound or two. Personally, I like a stiff racquet but that's me and you would have to try them and see how you feel.

Another thing I do is I have all my racquets strung the same, and at the same time. Then I rotate them by sets, the goal is to have them play similar and wear as long as possible as a group.

(Sigh) Tennis players are as finickey about their equipment as golfers and surfers are about their 'sticks'.

I hope some of this made some sense.

Rem

Curious what sticks everyone is using. I play the Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I play Wilson W6 Wild Crimson. Interesting story about that racquet. It's basically a version of their N Code Series. One of their marketing guys got an idea to spiff up the looks and try to market it as a 'Women's racquet'. Well, the racquet came out looking great but everyone knows that there is no such thing as a 'women's racquet and a 'men's racquet. It bombed, big time.

I had just bought an 'N Code' @ about $150.00, IIRC and I got an e-mail from the pro shop at the San Diego Tennis Club claiming that Wilson was liquidating all of these 'womwn's racquets' and that they had bought the entire stock. They were offering them for , I think $80.00. But! the $80.00 covered the sales tax, cost of the stringing (as well as your choice of a number of types of strings strung at whatever tension you wanted, plus free ground UPS shipping. Seemed like a deal to me so since I knew the Wilson rep in L.A. County so I called him up and asked him if this was a legitimate deal. He said, Yes, the story is true and it's a terrific racquet, so, I ordered two. San Diego is only about 75 miles from Newport Beach and the 2nd day after I placed the order they were at my door. Played with them that weekend and loved the racquet and got a lots of compliments on the looks by a number of players. So, on Monday I tried to order 2 more. Unfortunately, they e-mailed back that they had sold out the entire stock in about 5 days. (Supposedly the stock had been 50,000 frames.) Really regret not originally ordering 4-6 of these frames at that price. But, ya just never know.

Rem

I use a Head Liquid Metal 4. At some point I need to try more of a player's racquet, but right now it feels comfortable.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

In case some of you missed this----it was a bit amusing. I've never had this problem but I have encountered a rather large snake on the court.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye...rstround-match

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 08-29-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Federer falls to #19 seed Tommy Robredo. In straight sets no less. This is the first year since 2002 in which Federer has failed to make it to the finals of at least one Grand Slam event.

Nadal and Kohlschreiber are at one set all, entering the third. This just in. Rafael Nadal leads the world in wedgies.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-02-2013 at 09:21 PM.

I think the era of the Fed is over. Too bad. I got to see him live from the fifth row at Centre Court at Wimbledon in '04 (4th round), and it was something to behold.

Sorry to see the Bryan Bros. lose in the U. S. Open Doubles, the other day. Had a chance to win the Doubles Grand Slam in a single year for the first time in a single year---last time was 1951---62 years ago!

Met those guys when they were about 8-10 years old, when I played a tourney out at their Dads' tennis club in, I think, Westlake Village, CA. Dad, Wayne, leads a good band playing 60's-70's hits and is lead gitarist. Both of the boys, IIRC, also play instruments.

Rem

12. Likes:

Redsfaithful (09-08-2013)

Their opponents played out of their minds the last 2 sets. It was likely the best match they've ever played. i'd have liked to see them get the calendar slam.

I really want to like Serena Williams. I try really hard to, but I just can't. she acts too much like a spoiled brat when she plays.

Yeah, same, I appreciate her tennis, but too many moments where she acts like a jerk.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, same, I appreciate her tennis, but too many moments where she acts like a jerk.
    Good friend of mine is involved with the event in cincinnati and they REALLY do not like her there.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Good friend of mine is involved with the event in cincinnati and they REALLY do not like her there.
    Just the other day she mentioned that winning in Cincinnati is on her career bucket list. They might like her better now.

On the men's side, Nadal is playing some of the best tennis of his life. His defense is as good as ever and he's punishing the ball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?