Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who do you think will get a september call up?

who do you think will get a september call up?

besides Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: who do you think will get a september call up?

Didi and Donnie Joseph
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Not sure about Billy, but I the rosters are the same as today, I would guess HRod, Navarro, Joseph and Hoover.

nm
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-12-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Not sure about Billy, but if the rosters are the same as today, I would guess HRod, Navarro, Joseph and Hoover.
    I wouldn't mind seeing HRod up here before September. He could probably be a better utility player than Cairo at this point. I expect Janish will get a call up as well

I'd guess, if no deals, Navarro, Joseph, Hoover, and Janish. H. Rodriguez has an outside shot, and Billy Hamilton is a longshot at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd guess, if no deals, Navarro, Joseph, Hoover, and Janish. H. Rodriguez has an outside shot, and Billy Hamilton is a longshot at best.
    Yea I'd be shocked if Hamilton was called up. It sure would be exciting though...

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Yea I'd be shocked if Hamilton was called up. It sure would be exciting though...
    I would call Hamilton up once the roster expands and not think twice about it. If the Reds were to make the playoffs he would also be on my 25 man playoff roster.

If he is in AA now I don't think the Reds really have to worry about burning up all of his options. If I am in a short series where a 4th and 5th starter isn't needed I want Hamilton's speed off the bench over a Bailey or Leake or Arroyo who isn't going to really help the team out of the pen. It would make little sense to me to insert Mesoraco or Leake or Arroyo as a pinch runner late in the game when you have maybe the most dynamic baserunner in the game today at your disposal.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would call Hamilton up once the roster expands and not think twice about it. If the Reds were to make the playoffs he would also be on my 25 man playoff roster.

If he is in AA now I don't think the Reds really have to worry about burning up all of his options. If I am in a short series where a 4th and 5th starter isn't needed I want Hamilton's speed off the bench over a Bailey or Leake or Arroyo who isn't going to really help the team out of the pen. It would make little sense to me to insert Mesoraco or Leake or Arroyo as a pinch runner late in the game when you have maybe the most dynamic baserunner in the game today at your disposal.
    If you want Hamilton on your playoff roster, you have to call him up before September.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If you want Hamilton on your playoff roster, you have to call him up before September.
    Yep, he would make a nice bench weapon, when you need the speed though. I am not sure who needs to be protected from the Rule 5 draft this year, but the Reds do have some flexibility on the 40 man roster to put Hamilton on if need be. I guess it comes down to how he finishes out the season at AA. If he finishes strong, he certainly fills the pinch runner/pinch hitter role better than Homer Bailey and Mike Leake. A guy like that in a playoff game can make all the difference.

My guess is you see Didi, Janish, one of Navarro/Miller, Joseph, Hoover, and Rodriguez. Because Lotzkar is on the 40 man, I could see him getting a start or two if the Reds need a guy in September. Hopefully after having clinched the division.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Janish, Costanzo, Phipps, Valaika, Hoover, Smith, Joseph, Navarro/Miller

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The only way I see Hamilton called up is as a circus act type deal, like Chapman. Chapman and his 100+ mph missile draws crowds. Hamilton would do the same. If the Reds are in the lead or playoff hunt, it would juice the crowds even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The only way I see Hamilton called up is as a circus act type deal
    Or as the best pinch runner in the playoff race/playoffs. He'd more than an act. Our bench is soooo slow.

I'll bet there is no way they call Billy up. A sports announcer at the Bakersfield game asked about Eric Davis about it (calling Billy up in September) and Eric got all kinds of bent out of shape about even asking the question...called it the stupidest idea he'd ever heard

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Or as the best pinch runner in the playoff race/playoffs. He'd more than an act. Our bench is soooo slow.
    That can be easily fixed by calling up someone other than Billy Hamilton. There are plenty of fast guys bouncing around in the minors who the Reds could acquire to pinch run. I'm sure they could acquire a guy like Luis Durango, or former Reds farmhands Fred Lewis and Quinton Berry without giving up anything of real value. The could probably get those guys for a middling minor league reliever or just plain old cash.

Turn Off Ads?