Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

Kelenna Azubuike and Randolph Morris leaving eary (twice) really hurt us...

EDIT- also Rondo leaving early killed us as well, I was counting on him staying another year

But as for questions about UK... I am pretty sure I read he has something like a 7'2" wingspan. If so, that should account for alot of blocked shots for UK. How does everyone think he will do in his first year??

In his first year, I don't think he will get a whole lot of shots, but then again he will be basically our only low post player, so who knows. 12 and 8?
    Last edited by TeamSelig; 05-21-2007 at 12:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    With the history of Kentucky basketball its dead on.
    I think UK's history of past transgressions is pretty well established. Your comments added really nothing to the discussion other than snarky sarcasm. Of course, if that is the kinda thing that drives you to post, then have at it.

However, if you really are trying to post meaningful comments, you might consider trying to offer something within your comments that demonstates you possess a certain knowledge or an interesting perspective on the matter at hand.

You know, like demonstrating anything other than your propensity to grasp at low-hanging fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I think UK's history of past transgressions is pretty well established. Your comments added really nothing to the discussion other than snarky sarcasm. Of course, if that is the kinda thing that drives you to post, then have at it.

However, if you really are trying to post meaningful comments, you might consider trying to offer something within your comments that demonstates you possess a certain knowledge or an interesting perspective on the matter at hand.

You know, like demonstrating anything other than your propensity to grasp at low-hanging fruit.
    Wow sorry to insult the greatest basketball tradition in the history of the sport. You have to take into consideration that I am a disgruntled Indiana fan who was raised to despise UK basketball. By the way I hope your personal attack on me made you feel better.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 05-22-2007 at 03:40 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Wow sorry to insult the greatest basketball tradition in the history of the sport. You have to take into consideration that I am a disgruntled Indiana fan who was raised to despise UK basketball. By the way I hope your personal attack on me made you feel better.
    Nah, I feel pretty much the same. Fatigued.

Kentucky picked up an in-state player who should be in the top 10 for the class of 2010.

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/101156.html

Rose Hill’s Euton commits to Cats
    By Jerry Tipton
    JTIPTON@HERALD-LEADER.COM
    A reputation for hard work and the Holy Spirit landed Kentucky a commitment from Dakotah Euton, a promising high school sophomore-to-be on Monday.

Euton, a 6-foot-8 forward for Rose Hill in Ashland, committed to UK after a two-hour meeting with Coach Billy Gillispie on Monday morning.

The commitment came as Euton and his parents stopped in Lexington while returning home from his participation in an elite camp at Florida last weekend.

In explaining why he quickly said yes to a scholarship offer from Gillispie, Euton noted how much he liked the UK coaching staff.

“Coach Gillispie told me no coach will outwork him,” Euton said. “I really liked that.”

Euton also noted UK’s tradition and the power of prayer.

“I really prayed about it,” Euton said. “I think this is where God wants me. I said, ‘God, let the Holy Spirit speak to my heart.’”

Euton said he sensed a spiritual epiphany as he showered Monday morning in preparation for meeting with the UK coaches.

“I asked God, ‘When we meet, please don’t let me be nervous,’” Euton said. “He gave me a sense of calmness. He gave me joy.”

Euton joined G.J. Vilarino, a high school junior-to-be from McKinney, Texas, as underclassmen who have committed to Kentucky since Gillispie became coach in April.

Gillispie also signed two celebrated high school seniors, McDonald’s All-American Patrick Patterson and Parade All-American Alex Legion.

This spring, Euton’s father noted the difference Gillispie had made.

Until the change of coaches, Clay Euton said, his son favored Florida. Dakotah Euton described his rooting for Florida as “When I was a kid, I liked whoever the best teams were. I was sort of a bandwagon. I really, really liked Kentucky, too.”

During his weekend at the Florida elite camp, Euton said he worked out with Coach Billy Donovan. The Gators offered a scholarship, which Euton described as “tempting.”

Euton acknowledged that the early commitment means he’ll have to wait three years before joining the UK team.

A lot can happen in three years. After all, in 2005 UK advanced to the region final and came within a rebound of reaching the Final Four. Then-Coach Tubby Smith was celebrated as one of the nation’s top coaches.

“It’s a risk I’m willing to take,” said Euton, who turned 16 on March 10. Gillispie “told me he wasn’t going to back out on me, and I wouldn’t back out on him.”
    I'm going to try and make a trip to Ashland and see Euton play sometime this fall, but everything I have heard has him as a PF in the Dirk Nowitzki mold. I should mention that Kentucky is also looking hard at Euton's teammate Chad Jackson, who is also top 25. Rose Hill was also where OJ Mayo and Bill Walker got their starts as well.
    Last edited by WVRed; 06-18-2007 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

CHUG-A-LUG-A-CHUG-A-LUG-A-CHUG-A-LUG-A-CHUG-A-LUG-A

That's the sound of the Billy Gillispie-led UK Train picking up momentum.

Getting back to taking whatever recruits we desire away from Florida is an excellent start.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Now, I'm no neophyte when it comes to recruiting, but when rising high-school sophomores are being offered scholarships and making public verbal commitments, my "this is getting ridiculous" wire is being tripped.

That's nothing against UK, I realize the entire scene is like that now.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Now, I'm no neophyte when it comes to recruiting, but when rising high-school sophomores are being offered scholarships and making public verbal commitments, my "this is getting ridiculous" wire is being tripped.

Doesn't help when the kid being recruited is in-state and only lives two hours from Lexington.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if GJ Vilarino doesn't back out. I hope I am wrong.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    CHUG-A-LUG-A-CHUG-A-LUG-A-CHUG-A-LUG-A-CHUG-A-LUG-A

That's the sound of the Billy Gillispie-led UK Train picking up momentum.

Getting back to taking whatever recruits we desire away from Florida is an excellent start.
    First of all, quite ironic that your sound effect appears to be that of an inebriated train ("chug-a-lug?), which you use to describe Billy Gillespie progress as UK coach.

Secondly, you grabbed a young, in-state kid. Not exactly a recruiting coup. It should concern you that he so strongly considered us.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Just shows how much Tubby ran the program down.

You did win 2 national championships in a row, and I'm sure that didn't help UK out much.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

Yep it is everywhere. Thad Matta got a commit from BJ Mullens before he had played a high school game, several years ago. Now there were some extenuating circumstances there but, Thad has taken several other very early commitments as well.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Yep it is everywhere. Thad Matta got a commit from BJ Mullens before he had played a high school game, several years ago. Now there were some extenuating circumstances there but, Thad has taken several other very early commitments as well.
    I was listening to Dan Patrick on the way home from work earlier, apparently USC has scored a verbal from an eighth grader from Illinois. Ryan Boatwright is his name.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    Secondly, you grabbed a young, in-state kid. Not exactly a recruiting coup. It should concern you that he so strongly considered us.
    Just goes to show how far the program sunk under Tubby's watch. However, the more I think about it, the more I am glad that a coaching change was made, even though I wish it were earlier. There is a lot of young talent getting ready to come through the Bluegrass, and I feel that Tubby had let and would have continued to let these young players slip away.

Bud Mackey(IU), Scotty Hopson(Mississippi St), and Darius Miller(undecided) are all ranked in the Scout Top 50. Euton has been projected by some to be a top 10 player nationally, although it is still too early to tell. The situation is similar to the one in Indiana with Mike Davis, where they lost Josh McRoberts and Sean May, among others, to out of state schools.

Kinda getting tired of bringing this thread back from the dead, but figured id rather do this than post a new one.

DeAndre Liggins has committed, first recruit of 2008. Ranked 26th on Scout, 18th on Rivals. Listed as a SF but is more of a point forward.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/viewprosp...=42631&Sport=2

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1968745

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    First of all, quite ironic that your sound effect appears to be that of an inebriated train ("chug-a-lug?), which you use to describe Billy Gillespie progress as UK coach.

Yeah poke fun at the guy's battles with alcohol. Classy.

The reason this is important is because it's a perfect microcosm of the pitiful state of UK's recruiting under the Tubster.

Turn Off Ads?