Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Armando Galarraga

Reds sign Armando Galarraga

Per MLBTR. I'm on my iPad so I can't get everything copied over for now. Decent depth move.

The Reds have signed free agent right-hander Armando Galarraga to a minor league contract, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). SFX represents Galarraga, who turned 31 last week.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincin...geBQyPJpr1U.99
    Last edited by mattfeet; 01-22-2013 at 11:28 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Armando Galarraga

the guy handled all the no-hit controversy with a ton of class.....so hes got that going for him

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincin...geBQyPJpr1U.99

Reds Sign Armando Galarraga
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 22, 2013 at 10:03am CST]
    The Reds have signed free agent right-hander Armando Galarraga to a minor league contract, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). SFX represents Galarraga, who turned 31 last week.

Galarraga, who's best known for his near-perfect game in 2010, pitched for the Astros in 2012. He posted a 6.75 ERA with 17 strikeouts and 18 walks in 24 innings for Houston before being removed from the MLB roster in August. He also started ten games at the minor league level, posting a 3.97 ERA in 47 2/3 innings. Galarraga posted a 4.55 ERA in 466 2/3 innings as a member of the Tigers' rotation from 2008-10.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincin...RgWZAfWTHIi.99

It'll be interesting if they make him the AAAA starting pitching depth or they convert him into a middle reliever. He's never had eye-popping stats, so I think he'll be the erstwhile seventh starter stashed in Louisville.

Nice depth to have, I suppose.

Starting pitching depth looks to be:
    1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Bailey
    4. Arroyo
    5. Chapman
    6. Leake
    7. Galarraga
    8. Redmond
    9. Corcino
    10.Cingrani
    11.Villareal
    12.Lotzkar

That's some really solid depth, with a mixture of high floor and high ceiling talent.

There were times during the Lost Decade when the Red starting pitching would have much closer to 6-12 than 1-6. What a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    There were times during the Lost Decade when the Red starting pitching would have much closer to 6-12 than 1-6. What a difference.
    Remember when Elmer Dessens was the #1? Good times, those.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Remember when Elmer Dessens was the #1? Good times, those.
    Just looking over some of those starting staffs. Which would you rather go to war with?

Mike Leake
    Andres Galaragga
    Daniel Corcino
    Tony Cingrani
    Todd Redmond

or

Danny Graves
    Paul Wilson
    Pre-TJ Ryan Dempster
    Jimmy Haynes
    John Bale

I could argue that today's 6-10 starters would be ahead of their 2003 1-5 counterparts at every spot.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Just looking over some of those starting staffs. Which would you rather go to war with?

I could argue that today's 6-10 starters would be ahead of their 2003 1-5 counterparts at every spot.
    <not directed at you, Scrap> You mean PITCHING means something? Somebody explain that to all the people that will trade a starter for a position player. How soon some forget the 1st decade of the 21st century. The one where this team scored a boatload of runs and never sniffed something called the post-season. Then 2010 and 2012 happen despite having a few holes in the starting 8 that could have been better.

I guess I just DO NOT get it. Maybe pitching is not as important as I thought. Tell the SF Giants that. Tell the Washington Nationals that. WAIT. I am so confused.

HRs = sexy. Pitching = flags in the OF. Always has, always will. With a few exceptions of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    <not directed at you, Scrap> You mean PITCHING means something? Somebody explain that to all the people that will trade a starter for a position player. How soon some forget the 1st decade of the 21st century. The one where this team scored a boatload of runs and never sniffed something called the post-season. Then 2010 and 2012 happen despite having a few holes in the starting 8 that could have been better.

I guess I just DO NOT get it. Maybe pitching is not as important as I thought. Tell the SF Giants that. Tell the Washington Nationals that. WAIT. I am so confused.

HRs = sexy. Pitching = flags in the OF. Always has, always will. With a few exceptions of course.
    Not sure what you are driving at but it always depends on the specific players mentioned.

Rangers did okay trading a guy named Volquez for a position player.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

WVRedsFan (04-16-2013)

This signing is almost perfect.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I like it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Rangers did okay trading a guy named Volquez for a position player.
    They took a chance (BIG BAGGAGE) and it worked out. I agree. However, they DID NOT give up a proven MLB pitcher to get him either (right?). You wanna trade one of those Louisville/Chattanooga pitchers for a starting-8, then I am fine with that. You wanna trade one of the REDS starters, then I am not fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    They took a chance (BIG BAGGAGE) and it worked out. I agree. However, they DID NOT give up a proven MLB pitcher to get him either (right?). You wanna trade one of those Louisville/Chattanooga pitchers for a starting-8, then I am fine with that. You wanna trade one of the REDS starters, then I am not fine with that.
    You're thinking more Fryman for Perez or Pappas for Robinson then?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    You're thinking more Fryman for Perez or Pappas for Robinson then?
    lol. That is probably more (unfortunately in reverse) suitable for Volquez for Hamilton. Glad I was kinda young for both of those. And probably a good thing that RZ did not exist!

Your point is good. Perez was getting older, but Woodie Fryman (ugh). Robinson goes without saying. Might have something to do with (lack of) civil rights rather than baseball.

But to be fair Texas had some good pitching on those WS teams. I am never in favor of giving up proven starter talent for position players. Only a really good catcher might be my exception.

The thought of Galarraga at GABP is pretty scary when you consider how many home runs he gives up.

Turn Off Ads?