Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Police to reunite for 30th Anniversary Tour

Rumor: Police to reunite for 30th Anniversary Tour

They were one of my favorite bands growing up, but I never got to see them live. I'd rather hear some new stuff from them, but I doubt they could get through a studio session without killing each other.

Rumors swirl about possible Police reunion
    Source says talks underway for 2007 tour of U.S., Britain

By Jonathan Cohen - Billboard

NEW YORK - Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the rock trio’s first since disbanding in 1986.

Sources told Billboard.com the reports — in the British press — were legitimate, but they would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of “Roxanne,” the single that broke the Police in the United States.

“Discussions have been underway as to how this will be commemorated,” reads a post on Sting’s Web site (http://www.sting.com) attributed to a spokesperson at the band’s A&M Records label. “While we can confirm that there will indeed be something special done to mark the occasion, the depth of the band’s involvement still remains undetermined.”

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993’s “Message in a Box,” which featured the band’s complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry’s dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting’s 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police’s only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And while Sting has repeatedly expressed reluctance at reuniting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have kept the flame alive. This summer, Summers told Billboard he was certain the group could have continued past its 1983 commercial peak with “Synchronicity.”

“The more rational approach would have been, ‘OK, Sting, go make a solo record, and let’s get back together in two or three years,”’ he said. “I’m certain we could have done that. Of course we could have. We were definitely not in a creative dry space. We could have easily carried on, and we could probably still be there. That wasn’t to be our fate. It went in another way. I regret we never paid it off with a last tour.”

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16469727/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor: Police to reunite for 30th Anniversary Tour

I saw the Police at Riverfront in 81? Joan Jett opened for them... I smuggled in 10 Film Cannisters full of Vodka, good times, good times.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

The Police are perhaps my favorite band. I missed seing them in 83 as my parents deemed me to young to go. Sad times...

I would not be suprised by a reunion tour as the $$$$ would be huge - something that seems to catch Sting's attention usually.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Saw them at a club in Centerville (of all places) on their first US tour, at the Agora in Cleveland a year or two later, and then at Riverfront. The one at Riverfront was 83-84 though, not the one woy was at.

I would imagine that tix for this reunion show would be enormously $$$.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

My first concert was a Police show at the Coliseum during Synchronity. I smuggled in what passed for a small cassette recorder at the time. I still have the tape. On it, you can hear a security guard yell at me to stop when I climbed over the wall that usually supported the glass around the hockey rink. Having gained access to the floor, I sprinted to about the tenth row from the stage, where I saw a woman with an empty seat next to her. I asked if she'd pose as my mom, and she agreed. So there I sat for the remainder of the show; an eighth grader at a Police concert sitting in the tenth row with security looking for me, a bootleg tape recorder running in my jacket, sitting next to, as luck would have it, the owner (manager?) of Everybody's Records.

That was a sweet day.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    My first concert was a Police show at the Coliseum during Synchronity. I smuggled in what passed for a small cassette recorder at the time. I still have the tape. On it, you can hear a security guard yell at me to stop when I climbed over the wall that usually supported the glass around the hockey rink. Having gained access to the floor, I sprinted to about the tenth row from the stage, where I saw a woman with an empty seat next to her. I asked if she'd pose as my mom, and she agreed. So there I sat for the remainder of the show; an eighth grader at a Police concert sitting in the tenth row with security looking for me, a bootleg tape recorder running in my jacket, sitting next to, as luck would have it, the owner (manager?) of Everybody's Records.

That was a sweet day.
    So, she got to Stand So Close To You. Nice.

I guess my favorite Police song was King of Pain. I never was a stalker to the point of like "I'll be watching you".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

This is the first reunion tour I can remember that remotely interests me. They all still have chops, and I never got to see them live in their heyday.

Still, as Sting and Copeland have sadly become more "polished" in their old age, I worry that they could overproduce the show to the point of making it not sound like the Police in the raw form.
    Stick to your guns.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Of course they are going to reunite...the amount of cash to be made in too hard to pass up...they are all at the age now where they can make a load of loot and just hang it up...I wouldnt be shocked if you dont see a lot of commercials with Police songs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    I wouldnt be shocked if you dont see a lot of commercials with Police songs soon.
    There's a Hole in My Life - Dunkin Donuts
    Peanuts - Planters
    So Lonely - Match.com
    Message in a Bottle - Finlandia
    Da Do Do Do Da Da Da Da - Berlitz
    Don't Stand so Close to Me - Listerine
    Man in a Suitcase - Holiday Inn Express
    Other Way of Stopping - Meineke
    King of Pain - Excedrin
    Tea in the Sahara - Tetley
    Wrapped Around Your Finger - Helzberg
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Of course they are going to reunite...the amount of cash to be made in too hard to pass up...they are all at the age now where they can make a load of loot and just hang it up...I wouldnt be shocked if you dont see a lot of commercials with Police songs soon.
    I saw an interview with Chris Frantz from the Talking Heads, he said he had dinner with David Byrne and told him that folks were offering insane amounts of cash for them to play one show. He said he got email the next day from Byrne that said, "I told you to never mention that to me again, no reunion of the Talking Heads will ever happen."

Now I could get behind that show... I'd love a big fat Slippery People one more time in this lifetime.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

exactly redsland.....how about Synchronicity for anyone trying to hawk products "to make your work place better".

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Saw UB40 open for the Police during the Synchronicity tour. 1983, I believe, at the UNI-DOME on the campus of the University of Northern Iowa. The Police put on a good show but I was mesmerized by UB40
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I saw an interview with Chris Frantz from the Talking Heads, he said he had dinner with David Byrne and told him that folks were offering insane amounts of cash for them to play one show. He said he got email the next day from Byrne that said, "I told you to never mention that to me again, no reunion of the Talking Heads will ever happen."

Now I could get behind that show... I'd love a big fat Slippery People one more time in this lifetime.
    A bit off topic, but a very interesting article on Byrne at NYT today....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/ar...3c0&ei=5087%0A
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    A bit off topic, but a very interesting article on Byrne at NYT today....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/ar...3c0&ei=5087%0A
    Yea, saw that yesterday.

He's a freak.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Sting doesn't need it......he's done quite well on his own.

It'd be interesting, to say the least, if the rumor comes to be.

Turn Off Ads?