Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Not according to published reports in Seattle, he didn't. It said Cal called Jones.

Sure, he did. Just as Teague has. Just as Gilchrist has. He's verballed to a school. "I plan on going to the University of Connecticut." That should be enough for anyone.

And, on another note, you're really claiming that UK isn't one of the prime offenders in NCAA history? Really? I know you're a UK apologist, but c'mon, man. They've been caught doing some pretty major things, among them: shaving points, paying players, and commiting academic fraud. Those're like the Unholy Trinity of NCAA cheating.
    That Seattle blogger has amended his story to state that he doesn't know who called who. I know Jones called Cal.

Do a little research. UK has the most pub for their offenses because they're the biggest/baddest program in NCAA history, but UK is NOWHERE close to most sanctioned. (It's Arizona State, FYI.)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I know my research.

I know Kentucky is among the most serious NCAA offenders in history. Twice, they came thisclose to the Death Penalty.

They've been eggregiously guilty of cheating throughout their basketball history.

That's what my research tells me.

I know my research.
    I don't think you do.

This is what my research tells me.

From SI, circa 1988:
    Of Kentucky's many sins, the two gravest were academic fraud and sending money, in effect, to a recruit. But the seriousness of the violations and the scope of Kentucky's blatant disregard of the rules do not show up so much in what the NCAA did to Kentucky as in what it didn't do, as cited in paragraph 15 of the report on infractions.

"Because of the nature of the violations," reads the report, "...the committee seriously considered whether the regular-season schedule for the men's basketball program should be curtailed in whole or in part for one or two seasons of competition. In the judgment of the committee...the violations found would justify such a penalty."

Translation: curtains. Or: the so-called death penalty, which SMU football has just finished serving. As Kentucky's new athletic director, CM. Newton, said last week, "We could have been shut down....
    Like another one? How about the New York point-shaving scandal, from the early 50's (from hoopzone.net):
    The celebration didn't last long. Shortly after winning the title, the point-shaving scandal breaking in New York overtook Kentucky.

“The gamblers couldn't touch my boys with a 10–foot pole,” Rupp had said. But five of his players, including Alex Groza, Ralph Beard and Spivey were implicated. Groza and Beard, stars of the 1948 U.S. Olympic basketball team and now professionals, were thrown out of the NBA. Spivey fought the charges, but never played another game in college or the pros.
    This one resulted in giving up the sport completely in 1952-53.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    That Seattle blogger has amended his story to state that he doesn't know who called who. I know Jones called Cal.
    From the Seattle Times, as of just two minutes ago:
    Kentucky coach John Calipari called Jones after his announcement and Jones was on the phone for a very long time. About 15 minutes. Reading body language, Jones seemed pained.
    Research done, WMR.

Got any of your own to correct me?

UK doesn't have the 'shadiest coach in the business' and I really wish you'd stop typing crap like that. Roy Williams has more NCAA violations on his record than Cal. So does Coach K, Coach Pitino, Coach Calhoun etc. etc. etc.

You should also check out the all-time list of NCAA violations by school. UK is way down the list of all-time offenders.

I could care less what the 'average fan' thinks. Almost less than how much I care what UK haters think. Seriously, you're over-thinking this thing way too much. Fans will ***** for a couple days (UL fans excepted, they're in perpetual *****-mode at this point) and then everyone will move on.

I just care about UK finding a couple more guys who can play the post. If T. Jones realizes he made a mistake and allowed himself to get swept up in the emotion of the moment and wants to come to UK, you accept him with OPEN ARMS. Without hesitation.

Oh yeah: and don't count on having T. Jones in 2011. He has a great chance to be 1 and done.
    I did not say UK had the shadiest coach in the business (I've actually defended him probably more often than not). I was using that as an analogy of how fans from other schools currently perceive Cal and how this isn't going to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This is what my research tells me.

From SI, circa 1988:

Like another one? How about the New York point-shaving scandal, from the early 50's (from hoopzone.net):

This one resulted in giving up the sport completely in 1952-53.
    That's great, except everyone already knows all about Kentucky's transgressions over the years.

The research I was recommending to you was to check out some other schools and their history with NCAA infractions. Kentucky is not the worst but no one really cares about Arizona State, do they? It comes with the territory of being Kentucky. EVERYTHING is magnified a million degrees.

UNC'S last NCAA infraction occurred in 2006. Kentucky's last infraction was 21 years or so ago.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.

From the Seattle Times, as of just two minutes ago:

Research done, WMR.

Got any of your own to correct me?
    Yeah that quote is wrong as well.

It's all based off an initial misreport.

I erred in the previous post when I wrote Calipari called Jones. I don't know who called whom. I know Jones was on the cellphone for a long time and a Jones family member told me he was talking to Calipari.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm....html#continue

I know it's certainly more fun to prematurely demonize Cal a little bit more though.

That's great, except everyone already knows all about Kentucky's transgressions over the years.

The research I was recommending to you was to check out some other schools and their history with NCAA infractions. Kentucky is not the worst but no one really cares about Arizona State, do they? It comes with the territory of being Kentucky. EVERYTHING is magnified a million degrees.
    Including GPAs.

But, actually, this is not good.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/02/1...gpa-scale.html

John Calipari's first University of Kentucky team performed much better on the court than in the classroom. Its fall semester grades were the worst of all 20 UK athletic teams and the worst of any UK men's basketball team since spring 2002.

The same Kentucky team that won the Southeastern Conference regular-season and post-season tournament championships had a cumulative grade-point average of 2.025 for the fall semester, according to records obtained by the Herald-Leader through an open records request. That was the worst of nine SEC schools that gave their men's basketball GPAs to the newspaper.
    Bell noted that UK players must have had at least a 1.8 grade-point average in the fall semester to be eligible in the spring, according to NCAA rules. Yet two UK players had GPAs below that standard: 1.667 and 1.765.

The minimum GPA requirement of 1.8 does not take effect until the start of an athlete's second year, so the 1.667 and 1.765 averages apparently belonged to players in their first year.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Including GPAs.

But, actually, this is not good.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/02/1...gpa-scale.html
    Orton is almost certainly one of the ones below the 1.8. He basically dropped out after the tournament.

Knight and his 4.3 should help bump that a bit.

Of course, then again, as Big Cuz infamously said before the Cornell game, 'This ain't no spelling bee.'

As long as they go to class and stay above 1.8 I don't care in the grand scheme of things. Are they good kids and good teammates? That's most important to me.

Orton is almost certainly one of the ones below the 1.8. He basically dropped out after the tournament.

Knight and his 4.3 should help bump that a bit.

Of course, then again, as Big Cuz infamously said before the Cornell game, 'This ain't no spelling bee.'

As long as they go to class and stay above 1.8 I don't care in the grand scheme of things. Are they good kids and good teammates? That's most important to me.
    Because it's not the University of Wildcats Men's Basketball?

Besides, 2 of them WERE NOT above 1.8!

Ultimately, UK basketball creates a culture around its program. It doesnt necessarily bother me that players who know they are headed for the NBA dont take class seriously. But this year that was Wall and Cousins in the Freshman class and at least one (Wall) led the team in GPA (and give him a lot of credit for that…he is a class act). But as Sandy Bell pointed out, the GPA issues went across the board, and include a lot of players who will not be going to the NBA. That is a more important issue. We need to be careful not to blow this out of proportion and it certainly isnt the end of the world. But a basketball program is about more than just winning games…at least it should be. It is about preparing players as people for the next phase of their lives. That might be with the NBA (as with Wall, Cousins, Patterson, etc), but it also may be something else for the others…and a focus on academics is part of that. If Kansas, Louisville and Duke can have GPAs around the school average, and some of the great teams in UK history (like the 96, 98 and 03 teams can), then this group can as well.
    http://kentuckysportsradio.com/

Because it's not the University of Wildcats Men's Basketball?

Besides, 2 of them WERE NOT above 1.8!

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/
    Umm, I KNOW 2 of them were NOT above 1.8!!!! I said in my post that they need to be above 1.8. I'm not going to start freaking out about some kids grades who aren't even with the program any longer.

Next year's freshman class will be better. Kanter, Lamb, and Knight are all very good students.

Cal said, at the end of the year, that 'things went on this year that will not go on next year.' I wouldn't be surprised if team grades are a big part of that. With the cake classes they set these kids up with, there's no excuse to be below a 2.0.

Cal said, at the end of the year, that 'things went on this year that will not go on next year.' I wouldn't be surprised if team grades are a big part of that. With the cake classes they set these kids up with, there's no excuse to be below a 2.0.
    You know it. Cal's gotta get that bonus $.

You know it. Cal's gotta get that bonus $.
    Why doesn't Cal just get LeBron and/or WWW to make the professors give his players good grades?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why doesn't Cal just get LeBron and/or WWW to make the professors give his players good grades?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Just make LeBron and Wes adjunct professors. Much easier.

Turn Off Ads?