Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fay on possible changes coming up

Fay on possible changes coming up

This is from John Fay's blog today:

Interesting Dusty did not even know they were signing Fogg.

Dusty Baker talked a little bit about possible changes and then allowed this:

“It’s a very interesting situation,” Baker said.

How so?

"It's just interesting – the whole thing."

Here's some things I think you'll see:

--Josh Fogg will be out of the rotation. I don't know if he'll be off the team, but who starts is Baker's call. He's not big on Fogg. I'm told, in fact, that he didn't know the Reds were signing Foog until after the fact.

--Jerry Hairston Jr. or Jolbert Cabrera will be up here shortly. It's believed Hairston has an out in his contract after a month. He's hittting .429 with two home runs and 10 RBI with a .467 on-base and .785 slugging.

The Reds made no move Thursday.

“I’ve got to get home and talk to Wayne (Krivsky) first,” Baker said. “Wayne’s in Louisville now. We’ll talk on the phone or as soon as we get back.”

It was noted that starting pitchers and hitters are doing well in the minors. David Ross and Matt Belisle are due to come off the DL as well.

“Something’s got to shake out," Baker said. "And you’ve got some guys doing well down there. Guys we liked in spring training.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay on possible changes coming up

Tonight's lineup in AAA is going to be interesting.

Yes I will jump to conclusions when I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Three weeks of Jerry Hairston tearing up AAA doesn't change what he is and that is bad. He's a slightly better version (offensively) of Juan Castro.

So unless, he's replacing Juan Castro I'm not bursting with fruit flavor at the thought of his call up.

Yep AAA right now has a lot of AAAA players who have no buisness getting a call up.
    Go Gators!

I would absolutely not throw out Fogg just yet. Not with Volquez's volatility. He's very likely to be out of the rotation by the middle of May with his control problems. There's just no stability in this rotation; need as many warm bodies as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not with Volquez's volatility. He's very likely to be out of the rotation by the middle of May with his control problems.
    You can't possibly believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    you dont know him then.

Absolutely. Volquez has a storied history of serious, serious control problems.

I agree with FCB here (however bad this news might be for my fantasy team). While I like Volquez and his upside a great deal, he also has a well-established downside.

Now, whether the Reds keep Fogg around as a fallback option is another story. I actually think I'd rather see Homer, Lehr, or Thompson called up rather than watching a human batting tee every five days. But that's just me.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

OK. Since it's "very likely" he'll be gone, what kind of wager do you want to put on him being in the Reds rotation on May 15?

Edited: I'm not denying that Volquez can be wild, I just get sick of the doom and gloom hyperbole like saying a guy with a ERA under 2.00 is very likely not to be in the rotation in a month.

OK. Since it's "very likely" he'll be gone, what kind of wager do you want to put on him being in the Reds rotation on May 15?
    I'm not going to wager because I think the team will go with the upside, results be darned, for as long as possible. I should rephrase my last post--it would not be "unlikely," in my mind.

I think FCB is correct in that Volquez will have to exhibit better control to stay in the rotation all year but I don't think that has any bearing on Josh Fogg. I think Fogg will and should be gone soon.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think FCB is correct in that Volquez will have to exhibit better control to stay in the rotation all year but I don't think that has any bearing on Josh Fogg. I think Fogg will and should be gone soon.
    Gotta replace Volquez with someone.

Gotta replace Volquez with someone.
    I'd worry about that when the time came. Belisle and Bailey and possibly Maloney are all possibilities.

I don't think Fogg has much value from the bullpen so I'm not convinced he needs to be kept around. Say what you want about Volquez's struggles but they are minor compared to those of Fogg.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I think Belisle gets the next start and Fogg moves to long relief, Coffey is sent down.

Turn Off Ads?