Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Re: Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

Very good.

If I have the choice between 2 guys where one is an "A"-rated starter and one is a "C"-rated reliever, I'd rather bring up the better arm regardless of the titles starter and reliever.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

How many innings has Chapman thrown this year, and how many could he get if he was moved to the pen in cincy starting this week (or to the pen in Louisville until the all star break?) If you still plan on having him as a starter next year, he's going to need to build up enough innings this year. Seems if they convert him now, they'll have to worry about how many innings he throws next season. Ideally, he could get about 150 innings this season and be ready for a bump up to 180ish next year.

Resident PED Expert

You could use him strictly as a Loogy and use ML Vets Rhodes and Bray as full inning guys. 1 LH who deals 92 - 94, One who can throw 93 - 96 and another who throws 98 -103... That is unreal good.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    How many innings has Chapman thrown this year, and how many could he get if he was moved to the pen in cincy starting this week (or to the pen in Louisville until the all star break?) If you still plan on having him as a starter next year, he's going to need to build up enough innings this year. Seems if they convert him now, they'll have to worry about how many innings he throws next season. Ideally, he could get about 150 innings this season and be ready for a bump up to 180ish next year.
    There's also the possibility that the Reds don't believe in the 30 inning rule.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I like the idea, but it seems a little soon. I'd prefer they start this about a month from now, giving him the chance to continue to start in Louisville. Even with Price and Wainwright, they did not bring those guys up in relief until much later in the season.

Then again, maybe the thinking is they need help now and if they don't do something, they're going to be out of the race.
    It doesn't seem like a call-up is imminent. They just positioning him for the opportunity to be called up down the road.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    There's also the possibility that the Reds don't believe in the 30 inning rule.
    That could be true, but then why the talk coming out of the Reds brass about limiting Mike Leake's innings going forward? Sounds like they believe in some sort of increased innings rule. I'd hate to see Chapmann get limitted to 100 innings this season, then here talk about him having his innings limited again next season. I'd like him to be ready to handle a traditional 5th spot role next year, if he's good enough to earn it.

This makes all the sense in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

That could be true, but then why the talk coming out of the Reds brass about limiting Mike Leake's innings going forward? Sounds like they believe in some sort of increased innings rule. I'd hate to see Chapmann get limitted to 100 innings this season, then here talk about him having his innings limited again next season. I'd like him to be ready to handle a traditional 5th spot role next year, if he's good enough to earn it.
    Agreed, but the issue might just be total innings in one year and not year to year.

Leake threw 142 innings at ASU last year and 19 in the AFL. 161 total. Jocketty said that their round number for Leake is 170ish.

As long as Chapman is able to consistently throw strikes, I guess I am ok with it.

Still, I'd much rather think long term and leave Chapman in the rotation to get more innings in AAA (and a more predictable schedule). IMO, a trade needs to be made to address the bullpen.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I'm not in favor of the move.. He was signed to be a starter and possible a front line starter but putting him in the pen might mess with the young kids mechanics/pitching mentallity

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I love how they say Homer is coming back when he hasn't thrown a pitch in almost a month..

Before today, Chapman had thrown 65.2 innings. 150 innings for the year might be pushing it if he's pitching in relief.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It doesn't seem like a call-up is imminent. They just positioning him for the opportunity to be called up down the road.
    See, I think it is imminent. I think he'll be up before the ASB. I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I love how they say Homer is coming back when he hasn't thrown a pitch in almost a month..
    As long as everyone stays healthy and to the plan, this is a great opportunity to try Homer out in the pen. Volquez replaces LeCure and Bailey/Chapman head to the bullpen.

Good move. The need for bullpen arms is greater than for starters. Reds have more good starter candidates than reliever candidates. The Reds are particularly in need of power arms out of the pen. Chapman satisfies that need better than any of the other potentially converted starters. Chapman can get by with a fast ball in short stints, giving him time to develop his secondary pitches selectively.

With the emergence of Jordan Smith, the return of Bray, and conversion of Chapman, the bull pen will look very different in the second half. If the starters stay healthy, pitching could be the strength many of us thought it would be at the start of the season.

Turn Off Ads?