Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh, could we follow this up a bit?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Uh, could we follow this up a bit?

Scott Miller (CBS)

By far the best thing that's happened to the Reds in quite some time came in the sixth inning when Brandon Phillips drove a Clayton Richard pitch off of the right-field foul pole, the All-Star's first homer in 97 plate appearances since suffering a badly bruised right hand when he was drilled with a pitch in San Francisco.

"I think I'm going to get another X-ray after the season," Phillips said. "It still hurts real bad. I really think something may be cracked in there."

Based on BP's much earlier comments and the fact that this thing has taken forever to heal, I thought that there might be a hairline fracture that the Reds' medical people didn't pick up.

Maybe they could actually take another X-ray???

Or clarify what the situation actually is....?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Uh, could we follow this up a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Scott Miller (CBS)

By far the best thing that's happened to the Reds in quite some time came in the sixth inning when Brandon Phillips drove a Clayton Richard pitch off of the right-field foul pole, the All-Star's first homer in 97 plate appearances since suffering a badly bruised right hand when he was drilled with a pitch in San Francisco.

"I think I'm going to get another X-ray after the season," Phillips said. "It still hurts real bad. I really think something may be cracked in there."

Based on BP's much earlier comments and the fact that this thing has taken forever to heal, I thought that there might be a hairline fracture that the Reds' medical people didn't pick up.

Maybe they could actually take another X-ray???

Or clarify what the situation actually is....?

I would advise him to see another doctor as the Reds employ what have to be some of the worse sports doc's in the business.:thumbdown

Saw him in Milwaukee and asked how the hand was feeling... and he let out a few words that can't be said on here of how it feels. Either way, you have to admire him for playing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Saw him in Milwaukee and asked how the hand was feeling... and he let out a few words that can't be said on here of how it feels. Either way, you have to admire him for playing it out.
    Why? I would "admire" him more if he was straight up and truthful. Are we a better team with a damaged Phillips over a healthy team with either Janish or Valeika at 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I would advise him to see another doctor as the Reds employ what have to be some of the worse sports doc's in the business.:thumbdown
    You may be right about that. Scary thought.

It has been Baker's decision to play (and leadoff with) an obviously compromised BP.

Phillips has been open about the condition of the hand. I also don't admire his "gutting it out" when he and everyone else knows that he's hurting the team (and potentially delaying the healing process) by playing.

But Baker fills out the lineup card.

IMO, if I'm Jocketty or Baker, I don't disregard BP's comments. They both have done just that up till now.
    Last edited by malcontent; 09-27-2010 at 04:45 PM.

I've said this in other threads.....

His final numbers, as a result of this, won't be a true reflection of the type of season he's really had.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I've said this in other threads.....

His final numbers, as a result of this, won't be a true reflection of the type of season he's really had.
    Absolutely not.

Baker certainly has done no favors for BP, or the team for that matter, by playing him. Baker said that he wasn't hurt badly enough to DL, but that's just crazy talk given the offensive tailspin Phillips went into and BP's own comments about the injury.

Again, WJ bears some of the responsiblity in this, IMO.

If the Cardinals hadn't decided to take the rest of the year off, this could have been a huge fiasco.
    Last edited by malcontent; 09-27-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Hands take a long time to heal in the best of circumstances. And I really wonder why you would not repeat a plain xray, or do a bone scan or MRI on a multi-million dollar athlete and the only thing that makes sense, especially if that quote is accurate, is that Phillips refuses to do a follow up or more specific test because he wants to play and is convinced that the worst case is that if he plays is that it will heal without complication in the off-season. I'll bet the medical staff has recommended a follow up and BP said "no thanks, it may be cracked and I'm gonna play".

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Why? I would "admire" him more if he was straight up and truthful. Are we a better team with a damaged Phillips over a healthy team with either Janish or Valeika at 2nd.
    He is being straight up and truthful. He's telling everyone that his hand is in severe pain. He doesn't make the decision to play, the doctors and the coaches do.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    He is being straight up and truthful. He's telling everyone that his hand is in severe pain. He doesn't make the decision to play, the doctors and the coaches do.
    You sure? Previous xray negative, post season looming, "it does not hurt that much coach, and it's getting better. Come on skipper, it's the post season, I'm coming out of it, and I've been working my whole life for this. It will be OK, I want to play". Heard similar before all the time on a much smaller and less expensive, no doubt, level. If this is the scenario, then the staff is trying to accommodate a star player who is probably better than most with a hurt hand.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dr. Tim Kremchek is taking a beating right now.

I'd rather have a healthy Valaika playing second base right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Helms1 View Post
    You sure? Previous xray negative, post season looming, "it does not hurt that much coach, and it's getting better. Come on skipper, it's the post season, I'm coming out of it, and I've been working my whole life for this. It will be OK, I want to play". Heard similar before all the time on a much smaller and less expensive, no doubt, level. If this is the scenario, then the staff is trying to accommodate a star player who is probably better than most with a hurt hand.
    If he's saying it to fans and media I don't know why he'd lie to the manager since he would just find out about it anyway. I'd expect anybody to say those things though, it's what competitors do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Dr. Tim Kremchek is taking a beating right now.

I'd rather have a healthy Valaika playing second base right now.
    I'll bet the doc is doing the best he can do for everyone involved. Healthy Valaika vs a hurt Phillips, well this week maybe will give us a clue about that, but how the heck do you know who is going to hit in the post season? I go with the vet if it is about equal, he deserves the shot and only he knows how much it is bothering him. However, if my assumptions are close, I would suggest BP stop talking so much and suck it up.

It's not uncommon for an xray to miss small fractures in the foot or hand.

If there is a fracture that only a bone scan could detect, it doesn't seem to be hurting his defense. We're not going to beat anyone with offense in the post season. We're going to have to win 3-2 and 2-1 and we need Brandon at 2nd base to help the pitchers!

Quote Originally Posted by Helms1 View Post
    Hands take a long time to heal in the best of circumstances. And I really wonder why you would not repeat a plain xray, or do a bone scan or MRI on a multi-million dollar athlete and the only thing that makes sense, especially if that quote is accurate, is that Phillips refuses to do a follow up or more specific test because he wants to play and is convinced that the worst case is that if he plays is that it will heal without complication in the off-season. I'll bet the medical staff has recommended a follow up and BP said "no thanks, it may be cracked and I'm gonna play".
    That's an interesting take that I hadn't really considered.

What I don't understand is why the Reds seem to have taken a Bill Belichick-like stance of being less than forthcoming on the nature/severity of the injury.

Turn Off Ads?