Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I enjoyed this football season. The Bauserman issues aside, as well as the MSU game, OSU played well with a team that lost 4 of its best players before the season started and had one of their best DLineman go out for the year as well. There were games that were awfully boring (MSU) but then again its college football and there are a lot worse ways to spend a Saturday. With the amount of youth that was given a chance to play this season it leaves me awfully encouraged for the next few years.

Its one more football game. I don't care if they are deserving or not its another chance to watch OSU this season. I remember a handful of years ago when a disappointing ND team refused to go to a bowl game. I thought it was one of the most arrogant things to do. Especially when you consider they lost out on a month + of practice time.

True. Fickell was thrown into a difficult situation and handled it with class. There were several games where he was exposed as a coach as well as being left with Joe Bauserman as the starting QB. I want to see what Meyer can do with this team for a bowl game. One month of practice is huge when you are dealing with a very young team.
    I can't think of a worse thing to do than take a team that has been through what this one has and send them a coach with a resounding Mighty Mouse cheer "Here I am to save the day!" Plus, tell Fickell "sorry, Bub, moving back to defense, there's a new sheriff in town."

What would be gained with this one month for one meaningless game between two mediocre teams is far outweighed by taking the opportunity for the new coach to start on staff and player recruiting. Let the lame ducks have one last hurrah.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Did anyone really believe he was never going to coach again? I think a lot of guys step down and really believe they're done. They learn it's easier said than done. I think it all boiled down to one of the very few jobs he actually coveted being open. This might have been his only chance to have this job, so I'm sure that's why he's back so soon. He said that were it not for this job being open, he would not be coaching next year. I'm sure that's probably true.

This is easily the most exciting day for Ohio State football since the 2002 national championship.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    When you and your wife both want something pretty badly... hard to criticize the move, I think.

Is it really an anti-family move when the family wants it? Just askin'
    The only thing is, outside of Ohio and especially in Florida, Urban Meyer is a hypocrite. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

That being said, I do think Ohio State is in a situation where Meyer can install his own brand, recruit the top in-state talent, and leave the brunt work to Luke Fickell if he decides to retain him as associate head coach (that was being rumored a few weeks ago). I think even with NCAA sanctions, he will have more of a work/family balance than he did at Florida.

I don't have a dog in this race, but the only thing concerning me with Meyer if I'm Ohio State is that while he had all-everything Tim Tebow as the face of his tenure at Florida, there were up to 30 players arrested during his tenure. It's a home run hire for the future of Ohio State football, but for setting compliance with the NCAA, it could something to keep an eye on.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I wonder how the players will buy into the Meyer hype next year. It would be easy to coast into the season thinking Meyers arrival will bring a big ten crown. A great coach won't let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp on Nov. 24 View Post
    It runs completely contrary to everything I've been hearing for two months. And I doubt very seriously he would have taken the job if his wife wasn't totally on board with it. In fact, his wife is a Buckeye fan, her family lives in Ohio and she carries a 'buckeye' around in her pocket for luck. She has no issues with him taking the job if he's happy. As far as his health issues... overblown, really. The health and burnout stuff, coupled with the long hours and stress, was causing a rift at home. However, Urban left for many different reasons beyond the health stuff. He was tired of recruiting against the dirty and sleaze in the SEC and hated trying to compete with the over-signing. That stuff took a toll as he didn't want to do those things.

He'll find himself to be much happier at a place he's wanted to coach all his life and distant from the deep south recruiting, which is every man for himself
    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The only thing is, outside of Ohio and especially in Florida, Urban Meyer is a hypocrite. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

That being said, I do think Ohio State is in a situation where Meyer can install his own brand, recruit the top in-state talent, and leave the brunt work to Luke Fickell if he decides to retain him as associate head coach (that was being rumored a few weeks ago). I think even with NCAA sanctions, he will have more of a work/family balance than he did at Florida.

I don't have a dog in this race, but the only thing concerning me with Meyer if I'm Ohio State is that while he had all-everything Tim Tebow as the face of his tenure at Florida, there were up to 30 players arrested during his tenure. It's a home run hire for the future of Ohio State football, but for setting compliance with the NCAA, it could something to keep an eye on.
    I want to call attention to these comments I made last week. And direct them to what Urban said at the press conference (which I was surprised he said publicly)...

On why he stepped down (partial quote)

"I didn't like the state of college football--a lot of stuff going on. You'd hear about a lot of stuff going on and I just didn't want to be a part of that."
    Follow up... what he didn't like about college football...

"I want to say this the right way; I tried to do other peoples' jobs because I'd sit in the staff room and hear about all the nonsense going on and where are recruits, why they were going there and what was going on. That's age-old and I tried to, and maybe to a fault, I think some things were going on and I think they were because all you have to do is read the newspapers for the last 12 months or the last 2 years. We all make mistakes but willful and intentful mistakes I have a real problem with that and I let that not destroy me but... at ESPN we were at a little seminar this summer. A guy made a great presentation where he talked about just keeping it in centerfield. ESPN does a great job keeping it in centerfield. I'm doodling and as I'm sitting there taking notes, my problem is I veered off centerfield. I tried to cure NCAA issues, I tried to cure agent issues, maybe drug issues, maybe the whatever and I went out of centerfield. There's people that get paid a lot of money and very professional, and that's their obligation and responsibility to fix those things. After spending time with the NCAA and evaluating and sitting back, you know what? That's their job. That's not my job. So I'm going to go about it and keep it right in centerfield."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

That's interesting, Brutus. He talked around it and never came out and said it, but it's pretty clear what he's talking about. However, I don't think he won't experience some of the same things in this job. I'm sure he'll be doing a lot of recruiting down there for OSU and the midwest isn't immune from the same things, with the exception of over-signing which I still have a hard time believing has not been outlawed everywhere.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That's interesting, Brutus. He talked around it and never came out and said it, but it's pretty clear what he's talking about. However, I don't think he won't experience some of the same things in this job. I'm sure he'll be doing a lot of recruiting down there for OSU and the midwest isn't immune from the same things, with the exception of over-signing which I still have a hard time believing has not been outlawed everywhere.
    He won't be immune from it, he just won't have to deal with it on quite as widespread a basis as he was before.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I can't imagine anyone is happier than Braxton Miller.

I can think of a few people... the Ohio State tight ends lol

So Meyer didn't oversign while he was at UF?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    His administration "officially" would not let him. But U of F was never short of 85 scholarship athletes (despite quite a bit of off the field turbulence) so either there was absolutely incredible predictive powers at work or it depends upon what the definition of is is.... It's pretty unlikely that U of F did not greyshirt players for instance.

That's interesting, Brutus. He talked around it and never came out and said it, but it's pretty clear what he's talking about.
    Actually, it's not clear at all what exactly he was talking about. It's puzzling that he'd come out of retirement to coach a program that currently is being investigated for multiple infractions and has been slapped with the dreaded "lack of institutional control" tag if he indeed left coaching because of a moral dilemma. It's a great narrative but no one outside of the State of Ohio will buy that brand now that the iconic Tressel has had his book placed in the discount bin. He's alway's wanted to coach at OSU and a cash cow like OSU needs a name guy. That's the hire plain and simple.

I wish him luck because the Big Ten is much more interesting with a strong program in Columbus.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Apparently not...

http://oversigning.com/testing/index...iting-numbers/

As you can see from the chart, only Georgia and Vanderbilt have signed fewer players in the past nine seasons in the SEC. Auburn has been the biggest violator.

Has Meyer oversigned? Perhaps a few times... but clearly it hasn't been done egregiously and likely not with the intent of pushing kids out of the program to make room for recruits.
    Last edited by Brutus; 11-29-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    His administration "officially" would not let him. But U of F was never short of 85 scholarship athletes (despite quite a bit of off the field turbulence) so either there was absolutely incredible predictive powers at work or it depends upon what the definition of is is.... It's pretty unlikely that U of F did not greyshirt players for instance.

Actually, it's not clear at all what exactly he was talking about. It's puzzling that he'd come out of retirement to coach a program that currently is being investigated for multiple infractions and has been slapped with the dreaded "lack of institutional control" tag if he indeed left coaching because of a moral dilemma. It's a great narrative but no one outside of the State of Ohio will buy that brand now that the iconic Tressel has had his book placed in the discount bin. He's alway's wanted to coach at OSU and a cash cow like OSU needs a name guy. That's the hire plain and simple.

I wish him luck because the Big Ten is much more interesting with a strong program in Columbus.
    Ohio State has not been hit with lack of institutional control. Not sure where you got that info, but it's inaccurate. Further, the investigative portion of the Ohio State infractions is over with. It's in the hands of the committee of infractions to decide whether or not to accept Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Ohio State has not been hit with lack of institutional control. Not sure where you got that info, but it's inaccurate. Further, the investigative portion of the Ohio State infractions is over with. It's in the hands of the committee of infractions to decide whether or not to accept Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions.
    I should have said their program has been hit with the dreaded failure to monitor charge....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Maybe Urban himself?

The contract includes $4 million in base salary, bonuses — for everything from players’ graduation rates to playing in a national championship, up to $700,000 annually — and lump payments in 2014, 2016 and 2018. The deal is worth more than three times the $1.32 million that the university’s president, E. Gordon Gee, made in 2010, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Turn Off Ads?