Turn Off Ads?

Thread: St Xavier of Cincy - HS Football

St Xavier of Cincy - HS Football

Just read that my alma mater is headed to Cincy in September to play St Xavier of Cincinnati. What's the lowdown? Perennial power? Just curious.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: St Xavier of Cincy - HS Football

THe football season is over, I thought. St. X was the #2 ranked team int he country at the end of the season, and pretty much dominated their way through the state playoffs. They are a GREAT team this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    THe football season is over, I thought. St. X was the #2 ranked team int he country at the end of the season, and pretty much dominated their way through the state playoffs. They are a GREAT team this year.
    They were completely undefeated from first game through state championship. Just bulldozed their way through everything.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

St. X has been crushing HS teams as far back as I can remember to when they beat my alma mater when I was in school. So glad Piqua dropped down to division 2 after that so we didn't have to face the big boys all the time.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Just read that my alma mater is headed to Cincy in September to play St Xavier of Cincinnati. What's the lowdown? Perennial power? Just curious.
    St.X, my alma mater, won the state this year as well as 2005. They are a perennial powerhouse. From what I've heard, this senior class is supposed to be one of the most talented in the history of Cincinnati football. I'm sure they'll reload and be good next year, but I don't know how good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    St.X, my alma mater, won the state this year as well as 2005. They are a perennial powerhouse. From what I've heard, this senior class is supposed to be one of the most talented in the history of Cincinnati football. I'm sure they'll reload and be good next year, but I don't know how good.
    I'm sure they'll field a competitive team next year, but this year's team was pretty special. My son graduated from X last year and we were talking about this current senior group both in football and basketball. They tagged after my son's class their entire career, shining all the time. There were some decent players in last year's classes, but this class was making headlines all the time (although the class of '07 swim team was stellar in their own right).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Don Bosco?

You're going to get rocked

X won't be as good next year, they lose a ton of starters. They should still be extremely competitive.

What's your alma mater?

And to answer your question, yes they are a perennial power. They were always a pretty strong program under coach Rasso, but once he retired and Steve Specht took over a couple years ago, they've churned out some monster teams. While they will be losing a lot of talent to graduation, they should still have a solid defense and the starting QB will only be a junior.

X almost certainly won't be nearly as good next year as they were this past year, but that's not to suggest they won't be able to field a good very competitive squad.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    St. X has been crushing HS teams as far back as I can remember to when they beat my alma mater when I was in school. So glad Piqua dropped down to division 2 after that so we didn't have to face the big boys all the time.
    They were pedestrian in my day, stole our coach and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    What's your alma mater?

And to answer your question, yes they are a perennial power. They were always a pretty strong program under coach Rasso, but once he retired and Steve Specht took over a couple years ago, they've churned out some monster teams. While they will be losing a lot of talent to graduation, they should still have a solid defense and the starting QB will only be a junior.

X almost certainly won't be nearly as good next year as they were this past year, but that's not to suggest they won't be able to field a good very competitive squad.
    Don Bosco Prep from NJ. Here's the article from my local paper.

Bosco looks to West
    Sunday, December 9, 2007

By ART STAPLETON
    RECORD COLUMNIST

The Don Bosco football program continues to bust at the seams, seemingly coming up with new ways to redefine its success every season.

Now it appears the Ironmen are ready to challenge themselves even more.

Having already increased their national presence the past two seasons, The Record's No. 1 high school football team is close to finalizing a game for next season against powerful De La Salle of California.

Don Bosco athletic director Nunzio Campanile has also made overtures to Rutgers University, gauging the school's interest in hosting the game between the Ironmen and De La Salle, which is tentatively set for the weekend of Sept. 26.

"We're still trying to work out the particulars," said Campanile, who also serves as Don Bosco's offensive coordinator. "We think we have a match, but there are still things that need to be ironed out. We're hopeful that it's going to get done."

This isn't the first time Don Bosco and De La Salle have talked a big game, only the last time the potential showdown between the two powerhouses was squashed at the eleventh hour when the NNJIL voted down the Ramsey school's request to play an out-of-state opponent in 2003.

It's a different world in the NNJIL today, though, and it has been that way for two seasons after the NNJIL changed its scheduling requirements between public and non-public schools. The switch forced Don Bosco, among others, to find non-conference opponents in order to fill its regular-season nine-game slate, virtually opening the door for such a contest.

In 2005, Don Bosco traveled to Ohio for the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. the USA Challenge, where it defeated Centerville (Ohio) at the University of Cincinnati. The Ironmen have also played St. Joseph's Prep (Pa.) twice, Cardinal O'Hara (Pa.) and Valley Forge Military Academy (Pa.) in the past two seasons.

Don Bosco has agreed to make another trip to Ohio next season when it opens against Midwest power St. Xavier of Cincinnati on the weekend of Sept. 12.

Seems the only thing preventing the Don Bosco-De La Salle game from being finalized is travel arrangements. The two schools are looking into possible sponsors for the event to help defray the costs of bringing De La Salle to New Jersey.

"There's a lot that goes into getting an entire team to travel like that, so we've got some work to do," Campanile said. "Our principal [John Stanczak] is on board with what we're trying to do, so we'll see what happens. We're hopeful."

De La Salle is one of the country's most decorated programs, having amassed a 151-game winning streak that spanned more than a decade. It finished as the nation's No. 1 team in USA Today's Super 25 four consecutive seasons from 2000-03.

Don Bosco finished 12-0 for the second straight year this fall, defeating St. Peter's Prep for its second consecutive Non-Public Group 4 crown Dec. 1. The Ironmen will return numerous starters from that squad next season, including quarterback Brett Knief and running backs Dillon Romain and Tony Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Don Bosco?

You're going to get rocked

X won't be as good next year, they lose a ton of starters. They should still be extremely competitive.
    Wow..we'll see, I guess. But I am really upset that the Reds are on the road the weekend of the game. That would have been a hell of a weekend trip.

Is this game part of the Herbstreit Challenge?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Is this game part of the Herbstreit Challenge?
    Not sure...could be.

HS football in my area is slightly out of control

The star athlete has toured three schools, paraded around campus by upperclassmen from the sports teams. He mingles with students who tell him how badly they want him to attend their school. He sits in on classes and even shakes hands with members of the faculty.

His father, meanwhile, is equally well-known. He’s approached at a social gathering by a woman wrapped in a low-cut dress. She gently touches his arm. She bats her eyes. She laughs whimsically. His son should attend her school, she says with a smile and a wink, before she walks away.

And if all this isn’t enough pressure, add to it the fact that a family 56 miles away will also be directly affected by Johnny Sebastian’s decision. In a deal brokered by the athletes’ fathers, that family has agreed to send their son to the school Johnny chooses and have him live with the Sebastians during the school year.

Johnny Sebastian is in the eighth grade, just 14 years old and still with a mouthful of braces.
    http://blog.nj.com/hssportsextra/201...battle_fo.html

HS football in my area is slightly out of control

http://blog.nj.com/hssportsextra/201...battle_fo.html
    That's pretty amazing, but the norm nowadays.

BTW, the title of this thread is pretty awesome. I played on the freshman football team at St.X (wide receiver, kicker, and punter) before breaking my wrist mid-season ending my football career and, in turn, beginning my golf career.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?