Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Beltran, Anyone

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Carlos Beltran, Anyone

No thanks on Hart. I'm guessing he'll be more Richie Sexson than Corey Hart at this point. Say no to aging really tall dudes.

Don't really want to trade a first round pick to the Cardinals for Beltran either. Pass on that too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's all moot Boys. The Yanks have their nose open for Carlos. No team in the Central Div. of either league can fight those mighty bucks!

Well, maybe the Cubs could, but they are going young.

I hear that Corey Hart can no longer cut it as an outfielder. Where would the Reds play him?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Ludwick's had sterling postseason numbers for the Reds. Beltran, however, takes over entire series. Obviously I can't prove Beltran would have made the difference because he wasn't there (he was busy putting away the Nats), but I'm convinced to a moral certainty on it. Sometimes you need an icon.
    Beltran is an icon now? You are certain the Reds would have a title if they signed him yet you do realize he has zero titles in 15+ seasons. The Giants won a title the years before and after him and Cardinals also won a title the year before him.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I hear that Corey Hart can no longer cut it as an outfielder. Where would the Reds play him?
    Can't see why he couldn't play left. Even with bad knees he could not be worse than Choo in center.

I hope Choo winds up being this years Bourn and get him cheaper than people think and we play him in left going forward. Choo in center for anything more than a short term thing would not be good.

I'd rather get Choo. He can play CF for awhile longer while Hamilton breaks in. I thought Choo was underrated in CF.

If the Reds get Beltran for LF they will still need to address CF.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-27-2013 at 02:18 AM.

8. Likes:

RadfordVA (11-27-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    The Cards have already recieved the only thing they will get out of Beltran when he turned down their Qualifying Offer, a pick in the compensatory round between the 1st and 2nd round.
    Technically, the Cards have not received the compensation pick yet. They only get it when (and if) Beltran signs. And IIRC, if Beltran signs after a certain date after the season starts (maybe by draft time?), the Cards do not get the pick. Not that that is likely, but it's not accurate to say the Cards have it yet.

At the very least, the Reds need to develop viable alternatives to Choo. Beltran qualifies pretty nicely. Always was a player I wanted the Reds to pursue. A little late, but probably not too late for 2014.

If you can sign him for one year and maybe an option I'd do it

He is the rare bat that could protect Votto in the lineup. I'm not opposed. Maybe there's a mutual option on that third year with a decent buy-out that convinces Beltran to sign for only 2 guaranteed years?

Ludwick and Beltran do form a powerful LF platoon and keep their aging legs fresh.

I think the Schumaker signing was the BHam insurance policy. Can let the kid develop a little bit longer in AAA and bring him up just after the Super 2 cut-off (late May/early June). Schumaker can man center field until then.

The other thing signing Beltran does: Walt doesn't *have* to make a trade to address a glaring need. He can be picky/choosy about DatDude, Chapman and Bailey trades, instead of having a gun to his head to make one.

I'm cautiously for this plan. With the Reds about to unveil new ticket plans at RedsFest, I am of the opinion that something like this could happen in the next 10 days.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Rich Aurilia's 2006 season with the Reds is the stuff dreams are made of.
    Funny thing is, Dante Bichette's partial season with the Reds wasn't a terribly bad one either. Not Aurilia's '06 season, but decent enough.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Hart and Ludwick are too redundant...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Hart and Ludwick are too redundant...
    Not seeing that. 2010-2012 Hart averaged 127 OPS+ - From 2011-2013 Ludwick averaged 97.

Jonah Keri tweeted Harts stats over his last 3 seasons played to Choo's last 3 seasons played and Hart has actually been better than him.

Hart is way better than Ludwick.

16. Likes:

wheels (11-27-2013)

I think I would want to steer away from Beltran. I could easily see that as a deal that backfiring and Beltran spending 6 months on the DL...and I don't think he'll come cheap.

Besides this should have been something that was done in 2012, not now. But I guess Walt wasn't interested in Beltran until he had finished playing in St. Louis.
    Last edited by joshua; 11-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.

18. Likes:

bengalsown (11-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'd rather get Choo. He can play CF for awhile longer while Hamilton breaks in. I thought Choo was underrated in CF.

If the Reds get Beltran for LF they will still need to address CF.
    Choo and Hart. Print playoff tickets.

Turn Off Ads?