Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Well that snowballed wildly out of control.

FCB,

What big bat would you pursue? I'm not seeing a lot on the market right now. Hunter Pence? Matt Joyce maybe? Big sluggers on the trading block are as rare as a real #1 SP in the early 2000's.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post

FCB,

What big bat would you pursue? I'm not seeing a lot on the market right now. Hunter Pence? Matt Joyce maybe? Big sluggers on the trading block are as rare as a real #1 SP in the early 2000's.
    Isn't that funny, I was just thinking about that today with thoughts of what it takes to get Stanton and how the price is now highest for his type and one would consider trading a quality starting pitcher for him because they have a surplus in that area. Whod a thunk it.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Y'all, I know a lot of people subscribe to the "no one is untouchable" theory of trading, and I think it has merit, but until Joey Votto gets worse or older or has his soul seized by demons, he is not going anywhere. That would be team, business, and PR suicide by the Reds. Even in the most lala land of fake trade proposals, any inclusion of his name renders one moot.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-18-2013),marcshoe (07-18-2013),Raisor (07-18-2013),RedEye (07-17-2013),reds1869 (07-17-2013),Revering4Blue (07-17-2013),wheels (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post

FCB,

I stand by my David Wright proposal up thread.

I think Chapman has the most trade value right now (of anyone not named Stephenson).

I know it could blow a hole in the bullpen, and I know I tend to undervalue closers almost as much as others overvalue them, but I would still listen to offers. If someone offers up an intriguing bat, I would be all ears.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

8. Likes:

Mitri (07-17-2013),Raisor (07-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I think Chapman has the most trade value right now (of anyone not named Stephenson).

I know it could blow a hole in the bullpen, and I know I tend to undervalue closers almost as much as others overvalue them, but I would still listen to offers. If someone offers up an intriguing bat, I would be all ears.
    With the way the team is using Chapman (not to blow open a can of worms with that statement), I think he's absolutely replaceable with in-house talent. So yeah, if he's gonna be a reliever and they aren't ever planning to start him, I'd advocate making him the headliner in a deal for Stanton or another big bat.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (07-17-2013)

The Reds need to focus on a few things before the deadline.

1. Catcher. Mes hits righties pretty well, Hanigan is hurt, the position has been a big offensive problem this year. The Reds should consider a LH hitting catcher or switch hitter. Hank Conger has hit well left handed this year, Navarro the former Red is having a good year offensively, two suggestions.

2. Shortstop. I doubt anything happens here. Very few shortstops hit much these days. Jimmy Rollins is possible if Philly falls out, but I doubt it with two wild cards to shoot at. Cozart's defense is very good, doubt anything happens here.

3. Starting LF. Hunter Pence is a free agent, if he's signed I haven't heard it. He might be a good rental. Stanton is a long shot I doubt he'll be traded at the deadline. Maybe the off-season. Issue for the Reds - will Ludwick come back. Kind of doubt they make a deal assume they expect Ludwick back.

4. Starting CF. Reds could decide that Choo is a goner and they should go after a CFer who can play in 2014 while Hamilton continues to develop. Choo moves to left for the rest of this year. Doubtful they do this, more of a next year/off-season consideration.

5. Backup LFer. If Reds decide Ludwick will come back, but want more insurance, and aren't thrilled with Heisey or one of the others, then I could see Denorfia or Marlon Byrd or a different candidate. Denorfia has hit well v. LHP this year - Reds have hit lefties but could use someone having an especially good year against them.

6. Pitching. Walt seems to feel he always needs to add pitching. Last year Brox was a surprise, nobody was looking for the Reds to get relievers then as I recall. He may want a set up man. He may figure Marshall/Brox are iffy and a true set up man for the stretch is worthwhile. He may also want a vet (rather than use Cingrani down the stretch). Depends on the condition of the injured pitchers. Set up man seems most likely here.

IMO best bets are a backup outfielder like Denorfia; a catcher like Navarro; and a reliever. IMO a catcher who can hit left handed and reasonably well should be the first priority.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    With the way the team is using Chapman (not to blow open a can of worms with that statement), I think he's absolutely replaceable with in-house talent. So yeah, if he's gonna be a reliever and they aren't ever planning to start him, I'd advocate making him the headliner in a deal for Stanton or another big bat.
    While I agree that if Chapman is going to be used mostly to protect three run leads in the ninth, he has more value for the Reds on the trade market, I don't think the Reds have any in house options that can replicate Chapman's production, even in that basic role. Their bullpen really isn't that strong this year, even with a healthy Marshall and Broxton.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    While I agree that if Chapman is going to be used mostly to protect three run leads in the ninth, he has more value for the Reds on the trade market, I don't think the Reds have any in house options that can replicate Chapman's production, even in that basic role. Their bullpen really isn't that strong this year, even with a healthy Marshall and Broxton.
    Eh. I think Marshall, Broxton, Hoover, LeCure or Cingrani could probably an okay job as the closer given the opportunity. Would any of them "replicate" Chapman's stats? Probably not perfectly. He's a different pitcher. But would any of them do a credible job at getting three outs in the 9th? Absolutely they would.

I don't let Chapman hold up a deal for Stanton, that's for sure.

Everyone wants the big bat thumper but if we look at last years WS Champs (SF) they don't really have anyone I would consider a big bat. Reds need some help in the pen and someone to fill the hole in LF, no need to back up the truck to get that.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Everyone wants the big bat thumper but if we look at last years WS Champs (SF) they don't really have anyone I would consider a big bat. Reds need some help in the pen and someone to fill the hole in LF, no need to back up the truck to get that.
    Yeah, I think incremental change is the most reasonable expectation -- at most. It's just more fun to think about getting Giancarlo Stanton.

Reds are dead last in OPS by catchers in major league baseball this year. Shortstops who hit are rare, but also an area to consider. I agree, on an incremental basis, not looking for superstars, but I could see a number of smaller deals.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2013 at 09:24 PM.

If I was GM for one day and I could shop one player just to see what he would fetch, it's Chapman. I would love to know what people would offer.

18. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-18-2013)

I think people are off base about dealing Chapman. Teams dealing good players this time of year are sellers that are looking to rebuild. Chapman will become arb eligible after the season and will enter 2014 as an expensive closer or possibly worse, an expensive while still being untested (and reluctant) starting pitcher. Rebuilding teams aren't going to want that IMO. If the Reds were selling to retool for 2014, a Chapman deal would make a ton of sense.

One deal where Chapman could make sense would be with Detroit. The Tigers have a couple young relievers that might interest the Reds (Rondon, Potkonen) and a good young AAA OF in Nick Castellanos that could probably help now. They've also been rumored to be willing to move Porcello or Smyly to get that stud closer. If the Reds could get one of Smyly or Porcello along with Castellanos, dealing Chapman to improve the team both this year and in the future might make sense. I don't see many other options where deaing Chapman would be anything other than punting 2013.

The Marlins or some team like that, aren't going to have any interest in Chapman IMO. JJ Hoover, OTOH, might entice quite a few rebuilding teams. One reason to look for a reliever might be to make it easier to part with Hoover in a deal for a bat.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

REDREAD (07-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (07-18-2013)

Umm, Buster Posey lead the league in OPS+ and won the MVP. Then they dealt for Marco Scutaro (OPS+ of 122 in 2012) and Hunter Pence (OPS+ of 117 in 2012). They won, IMO, because they addressed their offensive weakness during the season as many are hoping the Reds will do.

I agree with your conclusions about the OF and the pen, and that the Reds shouldn't "back-up the truck," but the Reds do need to address the offense just as the Giants did. It's harder because the obvious spot has a player in waiting working his way back from injury and the other spots where they could improve really aren't fixable with guys wo are likely to be dealt.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?