Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cubs eliminated again

Worth The Wait

Re: Cubs eliminated again

Great post...not gonna lie, I revel in Cubs failures and will be sorely disappointed when they do finally breakthrough (yeah, right).

They are a putrid organization and I don't understand why they aren't mentioned more often in that refrain. They are in a huge market with a huge TV contract, they have a "bucket list" stadium and have fans throughout the world really. And they suck. Always. It's a disgrace really, but they get by because even when they win 60 games people (both Cubs fans and tourists) will still show up and drink a beer in the bleachers.

It's like they aren't a real team...just like this national entity...most "Cubs fans" I know aren't really die Garda; rather folks that just enjoy baseball and possibly fell for the Cubs due to WGN. Nothing wrong with that but it all feeds a viscous cycle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I mean, there's gotta be friendly or intelligent Cubs fans somewhere right?

...Right?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The first Model T Ford rolled off the assembly line the same month the Cubs last won the World Series.
    There were only 7 National Parks in the United States the last time the Cubs won the World Series. There are now 58.
    Last edited by RedLegsToday; 09-14-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Great post...not gonna lie, I revel in Cubs failures and will be sorely disappointed when they do finally breakthrough (yeah, right).

They are a putrid organization and I don't understand why they aren't mentioned more often in that refrain. They are in a huge market with a huge TV contract, they have a "bucket list" stadium and have fans throughout the world really. And they suck. Always. It's a disgrace really, but they get by because even when they win 60 games people (both Cubs fans and tourists) will still show up and drink a beer in the bleachers.

It's like they aren't a real team...just like this national entity...most "Cubs fans" I know aren't really die Garda; rather folks that just enjoy baseball and possibly fell for the Cubs due to WGN. Nothing wrong with that but it all feeds a viscous cycle.
    Sports in Chicago is different. There is a 'vibe' whether its Cubs, Bulls, Bears or my beloved Blackhawks. I hate when they invade GABP, but having been part of it, I totally get it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    [*]Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team’s future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Ottoman Empire (est. 1299) existed for another 14 years after the Cubs last won the World Series.
    I laughed so hard at these I almost cried.

This is my favorite annual thread. I tried to force Chip to jump the gun on it a couple of times this year because I was so excited for it. Must remember sometimes that when it comes to the Cubs, one cannot rush things.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I think it was RFS that said "goat this, you posers".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The year the Cubs last won the World Series was:

1 Year prior to the death of Geronimo
    2 Years prior to the death of Mark Twain
    7 Years prior to the death of Frank James (Jesse's Brother)
    13 Years prior to the death of Bat Masterson
    14 Years prior to the death of Alexander Graham Bell
    21 Years prior to the death of Wyatt Earp
    23 Years prior to the death of Thomas Edison
    24 Years prior to the death of John Phillip Sousa
    34 Years prior to the death of George M. Cohan
    Last edited by mth123; 09-15-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-13-2013)

Hallelujah!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Worth The Wait

A little trivia for you...:

What is the least attended World Series game in history?

Yep, you guessed it.... Oct 14th, 1908....Game 5...The day the Cubs beat the Tigers to win their last WS title. Fewer than 7,000 in attendance that day.

There obviously wasn't a TV broadcast back then, so can we even be sure it actually happened?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team’s future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.
    This one just made me smile. Too perfect. Great post Chip.

The Cubs can't even win the World Series in a fictional TV show.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3472--mlb.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    A little trivia for you...:

What is the least attended World Series game in history?

Yep, you guessed it.... Oct 14th, 1908....Game 5...The day the Cubs beat the Tigers to win their last WS title. Fewer than 7,000 in attendance that day.

It musta been Rush Week.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Cubs can't even win the World Series in a fictional TV show.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3472--mlb.html
    Haha, you beat me to it! This cracked me up so hard when I read it earlier today, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

*cough*
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

17. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-12-2013),KittyDuran (09-12-2013)

O.K., I'm a bit of a traditionalist so I've been looking forward to writing this 'thank you note' all year:

Dear Baby Bears, thank you for carrying on the tradition of failure and ineptitude. I was hoping the PieRats would join in but , as we have seen they failed to carry through on their potential, while you totally lived down to it. May you become the first team to go 200 years without a WS to their name.

In amazement:

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Turn Off Ads?