Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: On Josh Hamilton's press conference

Zoinks!

On Josh Hamilton's press conference

from John Fay's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...h-hamilton.asp

Josh Hamilton's press conference was about as captivating as those things get. It lasted 45 minutes. Hamilton told the story of his slide into the darkness of drug addiction. About 20 members of the media showed up.

I'm in midst of writing my tome. I hope I do it justice.

From a baseball standpoint, the question is: Can Hamilton still play?

The Reds are guessing yes.

“I don’t think there’s anybody here (in Reds camp) with the combination of power and speed and throwing arm,” Reds manager Jerry Narron said. “But it’s a very, very difficult game to play. He hasn’t been able to play the last couple of years. There’s some rust there. We’ll see how close he is.”

Pete Mackanin, the Reds major league advance scout, was fairly effusive after throwing Hamitlon batting practice:

"When you throw BP to these guys, there’s a certain zone they have over the plate, where they hit with more authority. The thing that impressed me the most is he didn’t have one. Anywhere you threw it – up and in, low and away – he handled it and stayed on top of the ball.

"His approach was outstanding. Having never seen him before, I was extremely impressed with what I saw. I know it’s only one day in spring training.

“I hate to get excited in the spring. But, boy oh boy, you have to like what I saw."

The Reds have a support system set up for Hamilton, namely Johnny Narron, who's known Hamilton since he was 8.

You've got to root for the guy. If you catch video of the press conference, you'll see a warm, engaging person -- albeit with quite a history.

I can't wait to see this guy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: On Josh Hamilton's press conference

I have my fingers crossed.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but the Enquirer this morning said he's been slamming balls out in Florida -- thirty feet over the fence.

It's quite early yet, but reading it made me kind of tingly anyway. I forgot that power hitters were allowed on the Reds.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

You know, when th Reds first got this guy I really just kind of shrugged it off as nothing to get excited about, I now find myself getting more and more anxious to see what this guy can bring to the table. Good luck to you Josh.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I forgot that power hitters were allowed on the Reds.
    Adam Dunn
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    David Ross
    Bronson Arroyo
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

It really has the makings of a great long shot comeback story. I hope he does well.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Ya know, the Reds have a history of developing low risk/high reward outfielders into very good players, albeit some only lasted a season or two. Examples include Alex Ochoa, Jeffry Hammonds, Juan Encarnacion, Jose Guillen, Wily Mo Pena, and even Ryan Freel. Hopefully Hamilton is the next.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ya know, the Reds have a history of developing low risk/high reward outfielders into very good players, albeit some only lasted a season or two. Examples include Alex Ochoa, Jeffry Hammonds, Juan Encarnacion, Jose Guillen, Wily Mo Pena, and even Ryan Freel. Hopefully Hamilton is the next.
    I think OBM has died and been replaced by a talking ray of sunshine.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The only thing that worries me is Josh Hamilton turning into WMP from a couple years ago when all he did was occupy a spot on the pine because he looked so overmatched when he got his sporadic at-bats.

I just hope this doesn't become a thing every time the Reds go to a new city this season - that is if he makes the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Looks like a very powerful man.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It really has the makings of a great long shot comeback story. I hope he does well.

If Hamilton makes it into an every day player, this will be the kind of story that someone will make a movie out of. Outstanding story. It sounds like he has all of the tools. I can't wait to see him.

I think the rust is a bit too much, but I'm really hoping that he is the PTBNL from the Harris trade. I think going to AAA for awhile will be great for him, and better than being a WMP on the bench. Except when he comes up, Deno becomes WMP, at least until Griffey leaves. Or maybe Deno becomes trade bait. But who knows, I'm really hoping Hamilton comes through and is a great OF for us.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I just hope this doesn't become a thing every time the Reds go to a new city this season - that is if he makes the team.
    OTOH, having to retell the stories of his trip to hell and back over and over to throngs of eager beat writers could be just the thing young Josh needs to keep himself clean and sober. It certainly won't hurt his self-esteem, either.

Since the Reds have assigned him a "keeper" who is the manager's brother, I think he has a very good shot of staying on he wagon.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?