Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

I'd be interested in a Minor League contract and have him start out in L'Ville. I'd be willing to structure the contract so that he would be paid as quality strter if he can regain his form with an option that vests if he reaches certain numbers. It would all have to be highly performance base though. I figure someone like the Cards is more willing to roll the dice though and offer better.

As a matter of fact, I expect that St. Loony is where he ends up.

I think webb would be a great pickup, especially if we are going to consider trading one of our starters to get a bat.

I liked the idea before the reports came out that his fastball is in the low 80s.

I'm sure we'll be at his next tryout, but I don't think he signs anywhere until the spring.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm sure we'll be at his next tryout, but I don't think he signs anywhere until the spring.
    Reds are too stacked.

He's an Astro, Pirate or Brewer

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I liked the idea before the reports came out that his fastball is in the low 80s.
    When he was being successful he was only throwing in the high 80's.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The treasures I would have given up for Brandon Webb 3-4 years ago. I dreamed of that sinker in GABP.

You just never know.

When he was being successful he was only throwing in the high 80's.
    Your point?

Your point?
    I think his point is that his throwing in the low or mid 80's isn't really terribly different from what has made him successful.

According to Fangraphs, the average speed on his fastball for his entire career is 88 MPH.

So really, until he builds up more stamina and gets back into the routine of pitching, being in the low 80's after major surgery sounds actually about right.

In other words, I don't think throwing in the low 80's right now really tells us too much.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

So really, until he builds up more stamina and gets back into the routine of pitching, being in the low 80's after major surgery sounds actually about right.
    The surgery has not been described as major. On the contrary...

Instead, Dr. Keith Meister performed what is known as a debridement, which is the surgical removal of lacerated, devitalized or contaminated tissue. Webb said that some shaving was done to the labrum area where it was frayed.

"[The damage was] just normal wear and tear you get from pitching," Webb told MLB.com. "It was as good as could be expected. There were no sutures put in there, no tears or anything like that, which is huge. [Meister] said, 'It's like getting gravel out of your shoe.'"
    Webb was trying to get ready for the opening of the 2010 season. The fact that he can't get out of the low 80s now, even after the season, is significant, in my view. Look, he threw a power sinker. Now, he can't even get mediocre power on his fastball, much less a sinker. Not a guy the team should outbid the field on, IMO. If he's cheap and wants to pitch in Cincy, sure, you give him a mound to throw off in Goodyear. But unless he makes a quantum leap forward from where he is now, you don't go offering him anything guaranteed.

The surgery has not been described as major. On the contrary...

Webb was trying to get ready for the opening of the 2010 season. The fact that he can't get out of the low 80s now, even after the season, is significant, in my view. Look, he threw a power sinker. Now, he can't even get mediocre power on his fastball, much less a sinker. Not a guy the team should outbid the field on, IMO. If he's cheap and wants to pitch in Cincy, sure, you give him a mound to throw off in Goodyear. But unless he makes a quantum leap forward from where he is now, you don't go offering him anything guaranteed.
    I wouldn't throw big money at him, especially if I'm Cincinnati since I have the luxury of not necessarily needing to do that. But I do think you might be drastically over analyzing the speed reports. It's very, very common for guys to throw several MPH slower in the offseason. When they get into a routine in spring, and start building their stamina back, usually those few MPH work their way back.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I wouldn't throw big money at him, especially if I'm Cincinnati since I have the luxury of not necessarily needing to do that. But I do think you might be drastically over analyzing the speed reports. It's very, very common for guys to throw several MPH slower in the offseason. When they get into a routine in spring, and start building their stamina back, usually those few MPH work their way back.
    Webb HAS been working to get himself back since the spring. In fact, he claims to be worn out from all the rehab, and he's going to take time off now. Go to the Dbacks web site and read the latest news piece on him. This does not appear to be a case of a rehab that's "on course" in any way.

He may regain velo some time in the future, but I think it's clear

Webb HAS been working to get himself back since the spring. In fact, he claims to be worn out from all the rehab, and he's going to take time off now. Go to the Dbacks web site and read the latest news piece on him. This does not appear to be a case of a rehab that's "on course" in any way.

He may regain velo some time in the future, but I think it's clear
    We'll see, but it's hardly clear. Guys throw harder when they get into game situations. That's something that's been fairly well established.

Not saying that Webb is a sure thing. Obviously there's some reason for concern. But those reports are way too premature to write him off.

We'll see, but it's hardly clear. Guys throw harder when they get into game situations.
    He has been throwing in game situations -- instructional league.

Turn Off Ads?