Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Choo Effect

The Choo Effect

I know there have been multiple threads about this guy already, albeit mostly about his effect on the outfield defense. What I want to talk about for this one is the amazing results that adding his offensive skills to the lineup clearly has on this team. I don't think it was ever more clear to me than yesterday, facing Strasburg. Choo was consistently a tough out -- almost like a "mini-Votto" -- at the beginning of the lineup. Even when he made an out, he battled and worked deep into the count. Obviously this is an anecdotal observation, but I feel his presence also has a trickle-down effect on the other hitters, as there is more consistently someone on base during the game, and even our most hack-tastic talents (Cozart, Phillips, Bruce at times) seem to have a tendency to bear down more in those situations.

Anyway, kudos to Walt for adding just the right ingredient to this team. Health depending, I think this lineup is going to cause headaches for opposing pitchers all year. With Choo and Votto providing pretty solid "slump prone" production all year, I'm very excited to see what the season has in store.

Your thoughts?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Choo Effect

Totally agree. The OBP at the top is welcome and wonderful, but yes, the greater effect is the additional professionalism in the lineup. No longer is there such a severe feeling that an ace pitcher--or even a fleetingly hot one--will dominate the Cincinnati lineup. It's much more competitive. In addition to Choo's considerable talents, I believe his left-handedness is also a factor, as is the greater right-left balance in general, with the additions of Choo, Hannahan and the two switch-hitters (Izturis and now Robinson) on top of Paul late last year.

One other upshot: To me, the team is suddenly much, much more watchable. Largely through replacing a confused hitter with a very savvy one, there's simply more faith in the guy at the plate.

One very interesting graphic re: Choo during the telecast yesterday -- his consistency from month to month. The comparison to some Reds hitters who run "very hot and very cold" was then drawn by Welsh (and one guy comes quickly to mind).

I really wonder what the effect of having Choo in the lineup (now in addition to Votto) may be on Bruce. There may be a critical mass effect that is getting him to rethink his approach a little bit. So far, at least, he seems much more willing to use the whole field.

Based on these first few games, Choo batting first is giving the team so many more chances to knock runs in.

The effect on Bruce is one thing, but having Phillips in the 4 spot seems to be paying off for now. I hope he stays there, but we'll see.

I salivate at the thought of Hamilton - Choo - Votto at the top of the order. I'd really love to see them somehow extend Choo.

7. Likes:

Caveman Techie (04-09-2013),OnBaseMachine (04-08-2013),pahster (04-08-2013),RiverRat13 (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    One other upshot: To me, the team is suddenly much, much more watchable. Largely through replacing a confused hitter with a very savvy one, there's simply more faith in the guy at the plate.
    Yes sir! Last year was BRUTAL to watch when the "table setter" repeatedly failed.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

The thing about a high OBP guy at #1 and Votto at #3 is it should be prime time for any RH bat with power to hit #2 assuming the manager doesn't get bunt happy with him.

If Heisey can't produce given the amount of fastballs he's going to see in that spot then he never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    The thing about a high OBP guy at #1 and Votto at #3 is it should be prime time for any RH bat with power to hit #2 assuming the manager doesn't get bunt happy with him.

If Heisey can't produce given the amount of fastballs he's going to see in that spot then he never will.
    That's Todd Frazier's full name I'm pretty sure!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I guess as long as Choo is OBA'ing in the .516 range, things will be good.

But I do like that fact that he seems to be Voto like in his approach.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    One very interesting graphic re: Choo during the telecast yesterday -- his consistency from month to month.
    The best part of that graphic -- along with the obvious consistency -- was the fact he peaks in the last month of the season. He's not just good; he's clutch as well.

For me the biggest thing that Choo does is simplify the lineup card. I like Dusty as a manager, but like many on here, I hated his insistence on putting fast guys at the top of the order even if they could not hit. (corey patterson, willy tavares, drew stubbs)

Choo pretty much makes this a plug and play lineup with the only decsions right now being when to play Heisey/Paul in the #2 spot or Hannigan/Mesoraco in the #8 spot.

Without the lineup difficulties, I think Dusty becomes a much better managerial fit for this team because he is very strong managing people and getting guys to play hard which benefits a team over a long season.

I noticed that our departed CF has four singles and 9K's in his first 22 ABs.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I love Choo- his splits against lefites last year are Rizzo-like. Atrocious.

Hopefully he can contribute with some tough at bats and defense...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    For me the biggest thing that Choo does is simplify the lineup card. I like Dusty as a manager, but like many on here, I hated his insistence on putting fast guys at the top of the order even if they could not hit. (corey patterson, willy tavares, drew stubbs)

Choo pretty much makes this a plug and play lineup with the only decsions right now being when to play Heisey/Paul in the #2 spot or Hannigan/Mesoraco in the #8 spot.

Without the lineup difficulties, I think Dusty becomes a much better managerial fit for this team because he is very strong managing people and getting guys to play hard which benefits a team over a long season.
    You see a lot of managers doing this. Goodness, you have to get deep into the second inning to even see Paul Goldschmidt. In Tampa, Longoria is a second inning guy also before you see him. Gotta make sure Sean Rodriguez gets an at bat....

17. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-08-2013)

To this point Choo has been a breathe of fresh air in the leadoff spot. It's night and day comparison between him and Stubbs. It's so nice not having someone leading off that will strike out 200 times a year. I really con't believe the Indians traded Choo for Stubbs. I know they got Bauer from Arizona to complete the three way but this IMO will prove to be a massive steal for the Reds. I really don't expect the Reds to sign Choo after this season. He's going to command a pretty large salary and I'm not sure the Reds can afford that to go along with other big salaries they already have on the books. I'm just going to enjoy him this season and hope he can lead the Reds to a World Series.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

RedEye (04-08-2013),REDREAD (04-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?