Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2018-19, part 2: Offense gone wild

Re: NBA 2018-19, part 2: Offense gone wild

The stats back up what I saw last night. The Clippers are a very good club and will get one of the 8 playoff spots in the West, all but guaranteeing that the Lakers will once again be a lottery team.

The 8 best teams in the West are:

Golden State
    Portland
    Denver
    Oklahoma City
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Houston
    New Orleans
    Memphis

Utah needs a backup Center badly.

San Antonio is void of talent.

Los Angeles Lakers, even with Chandler added, are still a long ways behind Utah and San Antonio.

Sacramento will be competing with the Lakers to see who has the worst record of the California teams.

Minnesota has major franchise internal problems.

Dallas and Phoenix have the least amount of talent in the West.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't have any hard feelings over Hayward leaving Utah. A guy's got to do what a guy's got to do. That said, I hope he gets polite applause followed by an emphatic thumping tonight.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't have any hard feelings over Hayward leaving Utah. A guy's got to do what a guy's got to do. That said, I hope he gets polite applause followed by an emphatic thumping tonight.
    With Kyrie out and the game in Utah, it's evenly matched tonight. Boston tried to take Phoenix for granted last night and had to come from way behind and then win an Overtime. That should make them sluggish. If Utah pushes the pace, they could find Boston struggling getting back on Defense.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    3) Landry Shamet. He's acquitting himself quite nicely in the rotation and given the state of the bench, absolutely deserves his minutes. Shamwow has a solid all-around game and his shot reminds me of a baby version of Klay. It may be time to insert him into the starting lineup to give that group more shooting and allow a straight-up rotation switch to bring in Reddick and sub out Simmons for...

4) Markelle Fultz. He's not there yet, but we're seeing flashes. The reason I'd like him to come off the bench is that he can be dynamic with the ball in his hands, but he hasn't taken a three point shot in four games. If he's not seen as even a threat to shoot from distance, that completely messes with the spacing when Simmons and Fultz are on the floor at the same time; allowing the defense to collapse on Embiid and clogging passing lanes. That increases turnovers and keeps the ball away from one of the only hot shooters on the team...
    Good stuff. Want to add my thoughts on these two.

Shamet's a great pickup. He's useful out of the gate. Has shooting range and could develop into a reliable scorer as he progresses (and adds some bulk).

Fultz is killing them. If he's beyond 15 feet, defenders are daring him to shoot. Most of the time he passes it up, which is smart. Yet his game outside of not being a shooter is C+ level. It's not like Ben Simmons, who gives you everything but the shooting. In fact, it should be noted Simmons and Fultz shouldn't be on the floor together. It simply doesn't work.

Also, at some point before next season the Sixers will be giving Simmons a max deal and then their cap space is gone. I am mind-boggled at how a player who can shoot/slash hasn't been added. Fultz is not that guy and the chances of him becoming that guy seem remote. That team desperately needs another player who can be a volume scorer in a pace-and-space system. It is mission critical. I think it would be a tragedy for the Sixers to tank so brutally for so long only to top out as a mid-tier team. That would be a bitter pill to swallow. They have got to act with some urgency.
    Last edited by M2; 11-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He gets booed every time he touches it or they show his face on the screen.

At the Half:

17 Minutes with Gobert: Utah +17

7 Minutes without Gobert: Utah -10

-27 point differential

They have to do something about this. They are a Top-7 team in the NBA with Gobert. They are so bad without him, that the team is currently not a playoff team in the West, with a healthy Gobert.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-09-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Utah should be fined for these uniforms.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-10-2018)

NBA Team Leaders: Net Rating (Off rating minus Def rating) (through Thur)

1. MIL (+12.9)
    2. GSW (+10.6)
    3. POR (+9.4)
    4. TOR (+8.6)
    5. DEN (+7.3)
    6. CHA (+6.8)
    7. LAC (+4.6)
    8. IND (+4.1)
    9. OKC (+4.0)
    10. BOS (+2.1)

Top-8 Offensive Rating:

1. GSW (118.8)
    2. MIL (115.3)
    3. POR (114.4)
    4. CHA (114.3)
    5. TOR (114.2)
    6. LAC (111.5)
    7T. LAL (111.0)
    7T. NOP (111.0)

Top-8 Defensive Rating:

1. MIL (102.4)
    2T. OKC (102.5)
    2T. DEN (102.5)
    4. BOS (102.6)
    5. IND (104.7)
    6. MEM (104.9)
    7. POR (105.0)
    8. TOR (105.6)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    NBA Team Leaders: Net Rating (Off rating minus Def rating) (through Thur)

1. MIL (+12.9)
    2. GSW (+10.6)
    3. POR (+9.4)
    4. TOR (+8.6)
    5. DEN (+7.3)
    6. CHA (+6.8)
    7. LAC (+4.6)
    8. IND (+4.1)
    9. OKC (+4.0)
    10. BOS (+2.1)

Top-8 Offensive Rating:

1. GSW (118.8)
    2. MIL (115.3)
    3. POR (114.4)
    4. CHA (114.3)
    5. TOR (114.2)
    6. LAC (111.5)
    7T. LAL (111.0)
    7T. NOP (111.0)

Top-8 Defensive Rating:

1. MIL (102.4)
    2T. OKC (102.5)
    2T. DEN (102.5)
    4. BOS (102.6)
    5. IND (104.7)
    6. MEM (104.9)
    7. POR (105.0)
    8. TOR (105.6)
    So you are saying the Bucks are pretty good?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    So you are saying the Bucks are pretty good?
    Except Thursday when Portland kicked their butts by double-digits.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-10-2018)

Utah should be fined for these uniforms.
    Oh man, I love them.

Shams Charania
    @ShamsCharania

Sources with @JonKrawczynski: Philadelphia is finalizing a deal with Minnesota to acquire Jimmy Butler.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

goreds2 (11-12-2018)

Covington and Saric a part of deal.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Covington and Saric a part of deal.
    And a future second rounder.

What happened to that four first rounder deal lol
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    And a future second rounder.

What happened to that four first rounder deal lol
    Thibs can't wait for the 4 to pan out he is in win now mode...and 3 out of those 4 picks would most likely be in the late 20'a.

For me the biggest winner in the trade were the Bulls...Lavine and Markkanen for Butler looks like a haul.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-10-2018)

Whoa...

Saric AND Covington on their way out for Butler? Apparently, Butler has intentions to sign with Philly long-term if/when he opts out of his current deal after the season. The Sixers can offer an additional year and nearly 50M in additional cash. They also received 7-footer Justin Patton; who spent most of his pro life in the G-League last season and is currently out with a broken foot (the Sixers collect these guys, apparently). M2 got his wish- the Sixers went all-in.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fultz is killing them. If he's beyond 15 feet, defenders are daring him to shoot. Most of the time he passes it up, which is smart. Yet his game outside of not being a shooter is C+ level. It's not like Ben Simmons, who gives you everything but the shooting. In fact, it should be noted Simmons and Fultz shouldn't be on the floor together. It simply doesn't work.
    I 100% agree that a Simmons/Fultz swap needs to be happening when Ben hits the bench. Fultz and Simmons should not be on the floor together for any extended period of time. If Brown is going to try to coach someone up at the expense of Reddick's starting spot, he should be playing Shamet out there because I see that kid as a viable piece who can already shoot.

However...on Fultz. He's 20 years old and has played 27 NBA games. While I agree that he shouldn't be starting, I think you're being incredibly impatient. I wish every draft pick hit immediately, but NBA rosters are littered with and even led by guys who needed a season or two to unlock things.

And because we had to talk about broken feet earlier, we're probably not going to be hearing from Zhaire Smith anytime soon. He's recovering from his foot injury, but also ended up with complications from a thoracoscopy, originally performed due to a serious allergic reaction to food.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-10-2018)

Turn Off Ads?