Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will be Opening Day starter?

Re: Who will be Opening Day starter?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    If you refer to Dusty Baker as "Duhsty", that's a pretty good sign nothing you have to say is worth hearing.
    Yeah, I forgot how much he was universally loved here on Redszone, never a bad comment. You're exactly right.
    Last edited by PedroBourbon; 01-29-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: sp
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

2. Turn Off Ads?

This list is the reason I do not care which of the 5 starters are the Opening Day starter. Always good to remember how fortunate I feel to watch this team on a daily basis right now.

1996 Pete Schourek
    1997 John Smiley
    1998 Mike Remlinger
    1999 Brett Tomko
    2000 Pete Harnisch
    2001 Pete Harnisch
    2002 Joey Hamilton
    2003 Jimmy Haynes
    2004 Cory Lidle
    2005 Paul Wilson

4. Likes:

Redlegs (02-14-2014),WildcatFan (02-04-2014),wlf WV (02-02-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-29-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Can we get a word filter on "Duhsty" and all its derivatives here? Maybe change any post containing it to "PLEASE DISREGARD" in big bold red letters.

6. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-29-2014),jimbo (01-29-2014),RadfordVA (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Can we get a word filter on "Duhsty" and all its derivatives here? Maybe change any post containing it to "PLEASE DISREGARD" in big bold red letters.
    What about Mehsty?

8. Likes:

WildcatFan (01-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Yeah, I forgot how much he was universally loved here on Redszone, never a bad comment. You're exactly right.
    Criticism is fine, puerile stupidity is not.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Johnny, if he makes it through Spring Training at 100%. He's been there before--give him the ball.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I think, like it or not, there is some politicking to the choice. If Homer signs LT, he probably gets the nod. If not it probably goes to Latos to stroke him a bit. And if Johnny is healthy, it could be him just because he's the senior "ace" of the 3 and starting him wouldn't likely cause any hurt feelings.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Whoever's arm isn't "barking"
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Whichever pitcher gets the nod, it sure is nice to have three legitimate choices.

14. Likes:

wlf WV (02-02-2014)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Cingrani as the dark horse.
    Wang is even darker. [Always wanted to write that sentence]
    Stick to your guns.

I would go with Bailey and not think twice about it. I do hear the case for Latos, but right now, if I have to win one game, I want Bailey pitching and not Latos. Start Latos in Game 2, but I just think the jitters and the hoopla that surround Opening Day will get in Latos's head and he will come apart at the seams. And I think the same of Cingrani and Leake. Cueto, IMO, needs to forget Opening Day distractions and concentrate on staying off the DL.

Opening Day is by no means a "must win or the season's lost" deal, but starting the season with a win will mean a lot for fan excitement (ticket sales) and can't hurt the mindset of the team as a whole. And right now, Homer Bailey makes me more confident of winning Opening Day (with its fanfare and attention) than any other pitcher.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-04-2014),TRF (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I would go with Bailey and not think twice about it. I do hear the case for Latos, but right now, if I have to win one game, I want Bailey pitching and not Latos. Start Latos in Game 2, but I just think the jitters and the hoopla that surround Opening Day will get in Latos's head and he will come apart at the seams. And I think the same of Cingrani and Leake. Cueto, IMO, needs to forget Opening Day distractions and concentrate on staying off the DL.

Opening Day is by no means a "must win or the season's lost" deal, but starting the season with a win will mean a lot for fan excitement (ticket sales) and can't hurt the mindset of the team as a whole. And right now, Homer Bailey makes me more confident of winning Opening Day (with its fanfare and attention) than any other pitcher.
    100% agree with this. Bailey is my choice as well.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-04-2014)

Start Latos if his arm is fully healthy. Also depends on how price wants the rotation set.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If Cueto is healthy, I think there is virtually a 100% chance he will start.

He is still the Ace.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Also depends on how price wants the rotation set.

With the first game of the year, you can start anyone and still set the rotation any way you want to.

Turn Off Ads?