Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you have had Leake bunt in the 3rd today?

Would you have had Leake bunt in the 3rd today?

It's not something I think is the wrong call... think it's more of a preference call as both not bunting and bunting there have merits.

I didn't like it, as I hate giving a grooving pitcher easy outs, especially 1 pitch outs. Wish we'd make Wainwright work a little more, maybe in the 7th or so I bunt, but not in the third. Just curious on how most see it.

2. Likes:

moewan (06-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you have had Leake bunt in the 3rd today?

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    It's not something I think is the wrong call... think it's more of a preference call as both not bunting and bunting there have merits.

I didn't like it, as I hate giving a grooving pitcher easy outs, especially 1 pitch outs. Wish we'd make Wainwright work a little more, maybe in the 7th or so I bunt, but not in the third. Just curious on how most see it.
    Nope...

I don't advocate bunting one of the best hitting pitchers in baseball in the 3rd inning. I don't like playing to stay out of a double play...unless you know the pitcher has no chance of advancing the runner.

IMO, Dusty probably wanted to score a run to get a lead and get the crowd into it and get his ball club some confidence. But, I have seen him bunt early in the game many times.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Bunting should always been a situation/score-only option IMO. It's giving away an out. You only get 27. Crazy to do it in the 3rd inning.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6. Likes:

malcontent (06-07-2013)

I hate bunts. I would just have had Leake give up fewer runs. :-)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Reds weren't gonna win the game so it doesn't matter

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Not really a bad bunt situation. Man on first, no out, tie game. Pitcher up.
    Get the man over and you have two of your best hitters lined up to drive him in.

Wait, you don't?
    Maybe THAT's the problem.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

10. Likes:

joshua (06-08-2013),remdog (06-08-2013),toledodan (06-08-2013)

I don't have a problem with it.

Leake hits well for a pitcher, but he's not a great hitter (career 290 OBP, 623 OPS). He hasn't even hit well for a pitcher this season (179 OBP, 429 OPS).

12. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-08-2013)

Pretty much a coin flip in my opinion. Not really for it or against it based on the situation.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

With no outs and the top of the order coming up, that's one I don't mind too much. Of course, it would be much nicer if Votto was behind Choo instead of Cozart.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

15. Likes:

RedEye (06-08-2013)

Leake is probably being pitched to differently this season since he now has a rep of being able to make solid contact. However, I agree, the high reward in that situation of letting him swing away that early in the game is worth going for.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With no outs and the top of the order coming up, that's one I don't mind too much. Of course, it would be much nicer if Votto was behind Choo instead of Cozart.
    Do any managers hit their best hitter, one of the best hitters in baseball, in the 2 hole?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Do any managers hit their best hitter, one of the best hitters in baseball, in the 2 hole?
    Bautista has been hitting second for the Blue Jays.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Beltran hits #2 for the Cards. He's maybe not their best hitter, but he's pretty darn good.

A list of notable #2 hitters in MLB:

Bautista, Blue Jays
    Beltran, Cards
    Cano, Yanks
    Trout, Angels
    Mauer, Twins
    Machado, Orioles
    Kipnis, Indians

In fact, I think you could make the argument that Cozart is by far one of the worst #2 hitters in baseball.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Bautista has been hitting second for the Blue Jays.
    Ned Yost of the Royals just has his baseball analytics team devise the best lineups for him to use, and that is what he is doing now. Of course, they don't have many great hitters, but I'm sure the best lineup would not put the lowest OBP and OPS in the two hole (Hosmer is batting 2nd). It is just silly that Cozart is batting 2nd, and frankly it is infuriating. I still can't get over it, especially in situations like last night with two men on, we could have a competent hitter up to bat in the two hole. But no.

*As a side note, I'm a big fan of Cozart, especially defensively. He's just not cutting it on offense. Has anyone asked Dusty why he continues to bat the guy who makes the most outs 2nd?

22. Likes:

RedEye (06-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?