Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Re: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

From Baseball America:

Cincinnati Reds
    Signed: SS Phil Bauer (NDFA—Xavier)
    Draft picks signed: RHP Eric Alessio (49), RHP James Allen (7), RHP Justice French (25), RHP Carlos Gonzalez (21), RHP Dan Jensen (20), RHP Jon Matthews (8), RHP Kyle McMyne (4), RHP Jimmy Moran (18), RHP Ronald Pinckard (10), LHP Tony Cingrani (3), LHP Chris Joyce (19), 1B Nick O'Shea (24), 2B Juan Perez (26), 3B Sean Buckley (6)
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...14/#more-11959

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looks as though Randall Yard has signed

Our 36th round choice. He's on the roster of the AZL Reds.

Our list has the 8th-rounder, Jon Matthews, as a RHP. He's leading off and playing CF for the AZL Reds.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Is Ryan Wright being repped by Boras or something? What the heck is taking so long for a fifth-round pick whose college season ended long ago?

Hopefully he's not thinking about going back to Louisville for his senior year. There could be an opening at second base for the Reds in a couple years if you know what I mean.

Wright should already be playing at Billings; instead he's sitting at home doing nothing. I don't get it. We're talking about a fifth-round pick here.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Is Ryan Wright being repped by Boras or something? What the heck is taking so long for a fifth-round pick whose college season ended long ago?

Hopefully he's not thinking about going back to Louisville for his senior year. There could be an opening at second base for the Reds in a couple years if you know what I mean.

Wright should already be playing at Billings; instead he's sitting at home doing nothing. I don't get it. We're talking about a fifth-round pick here.
    When this could be the only time you ever get paid, you try to take full advantage of it. Don't just settle for something. The odds are pretty good that he never sniffs the major leagues. He needs to understand that (or at least his agent does) and understand he is likely about to get paid for the one and only time up front for something. Make it count.

From Jamie Ramsey:

Reds have signed their 31st round (RHP Erik Miller) and 36th round (RHP Randall Yard) picks.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When this could be the only time you ever get paid, you try to take full advantage of it. Don't just settle for something. The odds are pretty good that he never sniffs the major leagues. He needs to understand that (or at least his agent does) and understand he is likely about to get paid for the one and only time up front for something. Make it count.
    Doug, with that being said, what do you think the chances are that he actually signs?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Doug, with that being said, what do you think the chances are that he actually signs?
    Pretty good. If he is serious about playing baseball in the future, he should sign now. He should know that college seniors, even good ones, don't get paid to sign contracts nearly as well as college juniors unless they are an absolute premium talent (top half of the first round type talent).

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pretty good. If he is serious about playing baseball in the future, he should sign now. He should know that college seniors, even good ones, don't get paid to sign contracts nearly as well as college juniors unless they are an absolute premium talent (top half of the first round type talent).
    And from what I have read here, Ryan doesn't have the premium tools it would take to be drafted in the top half of the first round. When is the signing deadline, August? Let's hope he signs soon so we have another player to watch closely in Billings.

I'm pretty surprised there hasn't even been a mention of negotiations with Stephenson or Rosa. Not that there is a huge sense of urgency, as a lot of these picks don't end up signing until August, but usually by now we've heard some kind of update regarding negotiations. This year, there's nothing.

I'd like to see Wright and Rosa in the fold as soon as possible. Stephenson can be a little more lenient as his arm probably needs the rest, and only four first-rounders have signed already anyway.
    Go BLUE!!!

The one I'm really curious about is Amir Garrett. I think they'll get the top round guys all signed eventually. Garrett's a true wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The one I'm really curious about is Amir Garrett. I think they'll get the top round guys all signed eventually. Garrett's a true wild card.
    Agreed, and unfortunately I think the more time that passes, the less likely he is to sign. Once he gets focused on basketball later this summer, I think our window has passed.
    Go BLUE!!!

Agreed, and unfortunately I think the more time that passes, the less likely he is to sign. Once he gets focused on basketball later this summer, I think our window has passed.
    Often the over-slot guys don't get their contracts approved until the last minute. That's how it was with Cisco last summer. They'll be able to spread Garrett's bonus over several years, since he's a multisport guy, but my guess is that the total $$$ would be WAY over slot (22nd round), leaving the deal under wraps in the Commissioner's Office till mid-August.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Often the over-slot guys don't get their contracts approved until the last minute. That's how it was with Cisco last summer. They'll be able to spread Garrett's bonus over several years, since he's a multisport guy, but my guess is that the total $$$ would be WAY over slot (22nd round), leaving the deal under wraps in the Commissioner's Office till mid-August.
    Toss in the fact that he has said he is going to sign and I am not worried about it in the slightest.

30th round pick 3B Josef Terry has signed. He is listed on the AZL Reds roster. He was a very highly thought of Juco prospect that had an injury plagued year.

Turn Off Ads?