Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If this were the Winter Games this would be an easy question. My hands-down favorite winter sport is curling. I love me some curling action.
    Believe it or not, in the crowds I'm in, Olympic Curling is a huge deal. Unless Canada wins both medals, we aren't happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Did anyone see Bob Costas' interview of President Bush? That might have been the toughest interview he's endured in his 8 years in office. Costas just kept firing. Good stuff.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Did anyone see Bob Costas' interview of President Bush? That might have been the toughest interview he's endured in his 8 years in office. Costas just kept firing. Good stuff.
    I did. I had the Olympics on but was reading.

I saw Bush come on but figured Costas would just lob softballs and just paid about 1/4 attention. After about a minute or so, I noticed little Bob was *really* hammering away with the questions and none of them were softballs. George had that "hey, what it this?" look in his eye. Watched the rest of of it and thought "dang, they should put Costas on the White House beat".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The men's 4 x 100m freestyle relay final was epic.

Abso-freakin-lutely epic.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I surely hope volleyball never switches to those baggy shorts like basketball did.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I did. I had the Olympics on but was reading.

I saw Bush come on but figured Costas would just lob softballs and just paid about 1/4 attention. After about a minute or so, I noticed little Bob was *really* hammering away with the questions and none of them were softballs. George had that "hey, what it this?" look in his eye. Watched the rest of of it and thought "dang, they should put Costas on the White House beat".
    Agreed. It caught me totally by surprise. Costas sounded like he was auditioning for a new gig. He certainly did his homework. The questions were tough, but fair. It didn't come across like he was hammering Bush; just asking legit questions.

To Bush's credit, I thought he handled it well, because he certainly couldn't have been expecting it. He probably thought he'd get one "tough" China question, and then a few questions about the American athletes that he visited.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    The men's 4 x 100m freestyle relay final was epic.

Abso-freakin-lutely epic.
    Stunning. That is why you just have to love the Olympics for stuff like that race. I mean I'm laying in bed at 1130 and all of the sudden I'm just yelling "go, go, go" at the TV. Awesome job guys!

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Ok, every couple years NBC does the coverage the same way and every time I'm not the only one who complains. You would think by now they would figure out that we don't want to see the little production pieces about the athletes. I want to see more competition. I want to see the events themselves and I don't really care one bit that little Wong Dang's dog was eaten by his neighbor and he's been training since he was six months old. Just show me him competing and leave out the silly human interest garbage. Am I the only one who thinks this? I don't think so.
    I'm with you. NBC has had weeks to run this stuff in anticipation of the games. I want to see the games themselves. Even if it's something that I'm not interested in, I'd rather watch the competition thant the back story. If the commentators have done their homework all that will come out in the broadcast anyway.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I love the Olympics, but I think I will throw up if I hear any more about Phelps. I appreciate what he is trying to do, but NBC is killing the story. Let the events and the drama play itself out. They are giving it the "Joe Buck during a no-hitter" treatment. I really don't care that Phelps is a Ravens fan. What does that have to do with anything? Just obnoxious.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I love the Olympics, but I think I will throw up if I hear any more about Phelps. I appreciate what he is trying to do, but NBC is killing the story. Let the events and the drama play itself out. They are giving it the "Joe Buck during a no-hitter" treatment. I really don't care that Phelps is a Ravens fan. What does that have to do with anything? Just obnoxious.
    I'll take the opposite approach. I don't think Phelps' story can be over-covered. What he's attempting to do is beyond freakish. 8 golds in the same Olympics? That's twice what Jesse Owens did in 1936 and what Carl Lewis did in 1984. That one-ups Spitz in an era when the internationalization of training and competing makes it unfathomable that one individual could be the best in the world at 8 different combinations of distances / strokes.

I think there also exists the very real possibility that Phelps pocketing 8 golds will do for the sport of swimming what Jordan did for basketball in the 90s, and Tiger Woods has done for golf in the 00s - junior swimming programs all over the country (and world?) will attract kids like never before.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I'll take the opposite approach. I don't think Phelps' story can be over-covered. What he's attempting to do is beyond freakish. 8 golds in the same Olympics? That's twice what Jesse Owens did in 1936 and what Carl Lewis did in 1984. That one-ups Spitz in an era when the internationalization of training and competing makes it unfathomable that one individual could be the best in the world at 8 different combinations of distances / strokes.

I think there also exists the very real possibility that Phelps pocketing 8 golds will do for the sport of swimming what Jordan did for basketball in the 90s, and Tiger Woods has done for golf in the 00s - junior swimming programs all over the country (and world?) will attract kids like never before.
    I could not agree more. Michael Phelps is the greatest athlete in the world right now. He's the Michael Jordan of this generation. If he does what many thought impossible, and wins eight golds, than every bit of this coverage was worth it. Even if he doesn't get it, the fact that a possibility even exists for such a thing to happen is beyond comprehension.

Dude, the American Men's Gymnastics team is blowing my mind right now. They're performance on the high bars was stunning. Something special is brewing. Hopefully I didn't jinx them, but this could be historic.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Hopefully I didn't jinx them, but this could be historic.
    Don't worry about it. That'll be when I switch over to it.

(So, to clarify, the jinx begins right..............................now.)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

US Men's Gymnastics Team.....OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDALISTS!!!

What a fantastic night of gymnastics! WOW, the US men were on fire and aside from one major blip and another small blip on their last rotation (not their strongest event at all), they were absolutely outstanding. MAD props to them for doing so well and proving all the doubters wrong about them medaling in the Olympics!! I am SO proud of them! Who says gymnastics isn't that exciting and shouldn't be covered much?! They actually bumped some of the swimming tonight! That's impressive. Way to go guys!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Dude, the American Men's Gymnastics team is blowing my mind right now. They're performance on the high bars was stunning. Something special is brewing. Hopefully I didn't jinx them, but this could be historic.
    Unbelievable is the only word to describe it.

Another great night of Olympic action. I'm hooked now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?