Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Votto playing in the WBC....

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: Votto playing in the WBC....

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This has been a big conversation in my family the last couple of days. My son (18) trains with someone who is very very involved with the Canadian team and he has asked my son if he would like to go with him and basically spend a week with his family and the team... He knows we are huge Reds fans and of course that would mean possibility spending some time with Votto. The hard thing is my son plays on the High School team and is a senior this year. His season starts the next week after the WBC is over so he would miss a week of practice and a week of school. My son is super excited but I honestly don't know what to do.
    You have to let him go! What do you want, me to beg? Please!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    More games to get hurt in. Managers misusing players. Let's say the Puerto Rican manager wants to win so bad that he uses Yadi to catch all the games and all 9 innings of each game. In ST he would normally gradually work up to playing a full game. He may not be going full tilt in a ST game whereas if he's playing in the WBC, he may run out a ground ball to 2nd and injure himself.

Not that I'm against players playing in the WBC but a club doesn't have control over how and when its players are used. The players probably won't protest because they are playing for their country and if they did, there would be a media backlash back home.
    I'd be more worried about pitchers than I would position players (well.. Besides Catchers, although Yadi is a terrible example to use; Dude catches almost every inning anyhow.)
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I'd be more worried about pitchers than I would position players (well.. Besides Catchers, although Yadi is a terrible example to use; Dude catches almost every inning anyhow.)
    Sure. I was just using Yadi as an example for Mike's benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I have another person that lives in my head. He's the guy that worries about everything obsessively. I usually listen a little bit to what he says but I don't let him get the best of me.

One thing he's been saying is "omg, if Votto doesn't get his power back, we are so screwed". So I'd love to see Votto play a bit in the WBC and launch a couple HRs over the left field wall like he always did. Then, I can tell that little man to shut up.

And to paulrichjr, let your son go. Like many have said, a week out of the second half of his senior year doesn't matter (my 3 kids had long since check out of school by then). And I'm sure his coach would understand what an opportunity this is. It would be one thing if he took a week off to go to Cancun and watch the Girls Gone Wild thing. But this is where he can get immersed in a high level baseball and live and breathe it. What a cool thing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    You have to let him go! What do you want, me to beg? Please!
    He will do enough begging on his on. Baseball is the only thing I am worried about. Sometimes coaches can be weird and his team is very good.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

In Fay's interview with Votto (that can be found in a thread RedsManRick started), Votto said he's not playing in the WBC unless he's 100%. I trust his judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    In Fay's interview with Votto (that can be found in a thread RedsManRick started), Votto said he's not playing in the WBC unless he's 100%. I trust his judgment.
    Jocketty just said the same thing from the main stage. He seemed to suggest at first that he wasn't to keen on the WBC. Brantley said his arm was hurt in Japan and he was never right again
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?