Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Reynolds starting today

Thoughts on Reynolds starting today

At first I was kind of annoyed that the Reds were going to start Reynolds today. It seemed like since Cueto was healthy, it was totally unnecessary.

Someone mentioned that it would line up the rotation for Latos/Homer/Arroyo to go in Pitt (I think those are the right names).. Ok, but a loss at Houston counts the same as a loss in Pitt..

But after further reflection, I think this is a nice thing for the Reds to do.
    They aren't going to win the division. The home field advantage in the WC is possible, but still is going to be difficult. That 2-4 run vs the Cubs and Milwaukee pretty much killed it.

So, with that perspective, it's nice the Reds are giving Reynolds a chance to start. The guy was a good solider and stayed in AAA until needed. Why not give him a start in Houston and give him a chance to improve his resume and prolong his career (either with the Reds or someone else).
    I feel the same way about how Dusty used Soto.. at first, I was kind of annoyed to see Soto get key pinch hit opportunites, because he's a AAAA tweener. But the Reds are giving him a chance. I almost had a heart attack when Zach Duke's first appearance was in a key situation, but Duke delivered.
    Not all these moves pay off in the short term. Some of these guys fail miserably, but I think it helps longterm. Guys like Reynolds know that when their career is hanging on by a thread, that Cincy will give them a fair chance.
    Guys like Parra know that when the Reds say they will give them a fair shot at a BP spot, that they will get a chance (they won't get cut after 5 appearances).

Anyhow, was wondering about other people's thoughts on this.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

remdog (09-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts on Reynolds starting today

My only thought (to the thread title and Reynolds starting) was:

Yikes!!

If you have to start your least effective starting pitcher, doing it against Houston is the best possible scenario.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Chip R (09-18-2013),Degenerate39 (09-19-2013),KittyDuran (09-18-2013),Larkin Fan (09-18-2013),marcshoe (09-18-2013),remdog (09-18-2013),RiverRat13 (09-18-2013),SirFelixCat (09-18-2013),Spazzrico (09-18-2013),WrongVerb (09-18-2013)

Reynolds has dominated AAA teams all season - why waste a proven MLB pitcher against the Astros when we have important series ahead? I like Reynolds and all of the September call ups, but this is not a favor. If the Reds were giving up on the division and giving out favors, Soto, Hamilton, ect. would be getting starts. We need to push for the division or top wild card spot (still in reach) and make sure the red hot Nats don't rally.

8. Likes:

LexRedsFan (09-18-2013),mth123 (09-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    At first I was kind of annoyed that the Reds were going to start Reynolds today. It seemed like since Cueto was healthy, it was totally unnecessary.

Someone mentioned that it would line up the rotation for Latos/Homer/Arroyo to go in Pitt (I think those are the right names).. Ok, but a loss at Houston counts the same as a loss in Pitt..

They aren't going to win the division. The home field advantage in the WC is possible, but still is going to be difficult. That 2-4 run vs the Cubs and Milwaukee pretty much killed it.

So, with that perspective, it's nice the Reds are giving Reynolds a chance to start. The guy was a good solider and stayed in AAA until needed. Why not give him a start in Houston and give him a chance to improve his resume and prolong his career (either with the Reds or someone else).
    I feel the same way about how Dusty used Soto.. at first, I was kind of annoyed to see Soto get key pinch hit opportunites, because he's a AAAA tweener. But the Reds are giving him a chance. I almost had a heart attack when Zach Duke's first appearance was in a key situation, but Duke delivered.
    Not all these moves pay off in the short term. Some of these guys fail miserably, but I think it helps longterm. Guys like Reynolds know that when their career is hanging on by a thread, that Cincy will give them a fair chance.
    Guys like Parra know that when the Reds say they will give them a fair shot at a BP spot, that they will get a chance (they won't get cut after 5 appearances).

The good:
    1) Gives every starter an extra day of rest going into the postseason (esp including cueto)
    2) Lines us up better for Pitt
    3) Gives him a start - which does help us the next time we want to stash a pitcher at AAA

The bad:
    1) Reynolds starts a game in a pennant which hurts the chance for one game
    2) Possibly taxes the bullpen

I guess I have a little bit different of an opinion.

Starting Reynolds (instead of Latos) today drastically reduces our chances of winning. They may still win the game, but this is almost a punt.

I'm ok with it. I don't think it matters much in the long term.
    Not worried about the bullpen, we have Christani and other filler there to eat innings.

I am glad that they are giving Reynolds a start on the road though. It sure would suck to come to a Reds home game and see Reynolds starting.

Why aren't they letting Hamilton start? I think the Reds are conceding that his bat is not ready, plus they want Paul, Heisey, and Robinson to get at bats in case they are needed to hit in the postseason. Hamilton has played a few innings in blowouts (which is a good idea), but I kind of doubt he gets a start this year. Maybe I'm wrong.

In the big picture, I like how they are using the last 2 weeks of the season to prepare for the playoffs, as opposed to making a desperate push to win every game (thus potentially leaving the players gassed when the playoffs start).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

To me a loss at against the Pirates would be worse than a loss today. If we loss against the Pirates we automaticaly lose a game in the standings. If we lose today the Pirates can still lose.

12. Likes:

RadfordVA (09-18-2013)

This is a lot less risky after the last two wins. If they Reds had lost,say last night,they would have only been up three in the WC and a loss tonight may have tighten things up even more. I would have kept the rotation like it was because I don't think they have much chance at a division. Better to keep the rotation in their habits than messing with that. But I see what they are doing and I hope it works out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    To me a loss at against the Pirates would be worse than a loss today. If we loss against the Pirates we automaticaly lose a game in the standings. If we lose today the Pirates can still lose.
    That is true, but with such few games left, we almost have to win every game if we want to pass both Pitt and StL.

It would be nice to get homefield advantage in the WC game, but not worth wearing out the team.

I hope StL and Pitt burn out their bullpen trying to win the division

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-18-2013),remdog (09-18-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

That is true, but with such few games left, we almost have to win every game if we want to pass both Pitt and StL.

It would be nice to get homefield advantage in the WC game, but not worth wearing out the team.

I hear what you are saying. I wasn't a fan of the decision to start Reynolds either, hope it works out. It is the Astros!!!

17. Likes:

REDREAD (09-18-2013)

I'm fine with it but with the off day tomorrow and an expanded roster Dusty should have an extremely short leash should Reynolds get himself into any trouble.

Bit different view here as well.

- Have to keep winning as much as we can. The division, while not probable, is still in reach.

- Agree with the poster who said starting Reynolds against Houston is the best possible scenario if you give him a start at all which makes sense not as a gift but to position ourselves for PNC.

- We'll need our best going into Pittsburgh since, as someone else pointed out, a loss there is, in fact, worse than a loss in Houston since the latter is automatically a loss of a game in the standings. I'll be in Pittsburgh for Games 2 and 3 in that series but probably can't count on me as much as we counted on Charles.

- Not yet mentioned above (I think?) is the pitcher we'll be facing. Young Bradley Peacock (another former Washington National) has pitched 71 innings for the 'stros this year. Sporting a 5.27 ERA with the 5-5 W/L record and a 1.38 WHIP, I'm banking on our bats helping out Reynolds today. We're not facing Liriano...yet.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

All about future rotation...

Wed:Reynolds
    Thurs: Off
    Friday:Latos
    Saturday: Bailey
    Sunday: Arroyo
    Monday: Cueto
    Tuesday: Leake
    Wednesday: Latos
    Thursday: Off
    Friday: Bailey
    Saturday: Arroyo
    Sunday: Cueto
    Playoff Game: Latos
    Division Series: Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto, Latos, Bailey

Brilliantly managed by Dusty/Price...even if last day of season comes into play for HFA, we now have Cueto lined up (a potential ace) when he's really our #4/5 for playoffs...this was VERY well thought out

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

21. Likes:

Always Red (09-18-2013),BillDoran (09-18-2013),Brutus (09-18-2013),Larkin Fan (09-18-2013),MillerTime58 (09-18-2013),REDREAD (09-18-2013),TOBTTReds (09-18-2013)

I guess I disagree with some of your subtext - it's not a given that we're not going to win the division. Certainly, everything will have to go right for us to do that, but it's way too early to concede that. At this point, winning every game possible is essential. Of course, that lends some credence to your suggestion that we shouldn't be pitching Reynolds, but rather someone with a better chance to win.

But looking at Reynolds' record since coming back, he's been good enough. I think the larger good of lining up your starting staff for the critical Pittsburgh series is best served by starting Reynolds. I wouldn't suggest that he'll have a lousy outing, that we stand a good chance of losing. As someone noted, he's been very good against AAA teams this season and the Astros are as close to such as we'll get. Plus his two starts, he kept us in the game. I don't remember enough about his relief appearance when Cingrani went down to speak to that. Reynolds is capable of giving us a good start today. I'll choose to not assume the worst of any of this.

If the offense shows up, we can win pretty much any game.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

23. Likes:

Chip R (09-18-2013),PepperJack (09-18-2013)

I just don't buy it. For the sake of things lets say the Reds win the next two games and the Cards lose the next two. The Reds would pull to at least a half game with both the Cards and Pirates. If the Reds rip off the next 4 games and go 1.5 up on the Pirates you don't think Pittsburgh is going to feel increasing pressure with each game remaining?

When the season gets down towards the end and the pennant race begins to intensify, one game swings become massive. If Dusty thinks that starting Reynolds gives them the best shot to win the remaining 10 games then I am fine. If he thinks the extra rest will keep Latos and Bailey fresh over their last 2 starts and into the playoffs then I am fine with it. If Dusty thinks that he can run any pitcher out there and beat the Astros I have a problem with that. The baseball gods can be a cruel bunch.

Turn Off Ads?