Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

This kid might have a few d.u.i's in his future.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds just surprised me with the direction HS arm and a long term time table.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The hand wrining is silly. As for throwing a change up every write up I've read says his change up is new and rarely thrown. His slider is above average his fastball can hit 99 but sits at 92-93. Hitting 99 is a far cry from where a guy sits and when you're a HS kid it sys a ton about what might be added as you grow
    I like those numbers better than the idea of him sitting in the mid-nineties and higher as a high school guy. Does look like he has a ton of potential.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Which college has he signed with?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No.
    The easiest way I can think to cut from the scouting and development department (where the money to sign Chapman was pulled from) is to pay less in signing bonuses. Maybe that's what we're seeing. Just a thought.

Travieso, Stephenson, and Garrett could make an interesting three-headed monster moving through the minors and eventually landing in Cincinnati in...2018.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cooperlamar View Post
    Which college has he signed with?
    Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Travieso, Stephenson, and Garrett could make an interesting three-headed monster moving through the minors and eventually landing in Cincinnati in...2018.
    LOL - you're right with that timetable too.

His profile is a bit like Latos- HS pitcher from FL with a great Fastball and not a super high IQ (at least from that interview).

The Nationals always seem to do in the draft what I would have done.
    Go BLUE!!!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

And there goes Giolito to the Nationals at 16.

If you want a reach I think Cleveland's pick is a big reach. Naquin isn't a corner fielder and he isn't a center fielder. 'Tweener. 4th outfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Why?
    In general I prefer college prospects. I think you get a better feel for what they're capable of and what they realistically project to. Aside from that, a college first or second rounder might be big league ready in 2 or 3 years as opposed to 4-6 for a high schooler. Also, a college first or second round pick can be a legit trade chip within a year.
    The Reds system is so depleted at the top end now, that I'd prefer to see some talent added that won't be toiling in rookie-A ball for the next 3 years.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Giolito could now officially be the Lincecum to Travieso's Stubbs...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    In general I prefer college prospects. I think you get a better feel for what they're capable of and what they realistically project to. Aside from that, a college first or second rounder might be big league ready in 2 or 3 years as opposed to 4-6 for a high schooler. Also, a college first or second round pick can be a legit trade chip within a year.
    The Reds system is so depleted at the top end now, that I'd prefer to see some talent added that won't be toiling in rookie-A ball for the next 3 years.
    I really thought that the Reds would be thinking that way too. Evidently not. I think their scouts see BIG upside in Travioso. Worth the wait obviously or they wouldn't take him.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    His profile is a bit like Latos- HS pitcher from FL with a great Fastball and not a super high IQ (at least from that interview).

The Nationals always seem to do in the draft what I would have done.
    I'm not quite clear on how liking Adam Sandler movies or playing hockey, especially in high school, correlates to future DUIs (as speculated earlier in this thread) or low IQ scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?