Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-26-2007 Game Thread vs. Red Sox (Matsuzaka pitching)

Re: 3-26 Game Thread vs. Dice-K

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    watch out for the gyroball.
    You really haven't lived until you've experienced the unintentional comedy of Steve Phillips going on about "his gyropitch".
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3-26 Game Thread vs. Red Sox (Matsuzaka pitching)

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Phillips hitting 3rd isn't likely to turn out well either.
    I don't know. Dunn has been great in the 2 slot in his career, and a healthy Griffey would give him good protection. I'm not ready to concede that one just yet.

looks like the opening day lineup.

Not great but it could be worse. Gonzo should never bat anywhere other than 8th.
    Catchers bat 8th. Its really that simple. Narron would put Piazza 8th.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I don't know. Dunn has been great in the 2 slot in his career, and a healthy Griffey would give him good protection. I'm not ready to concede that one just yet.
    Same here.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I'm hoping sandwiching him between those two will help him but unless he learns to be more selective, he'll simply be a rally killer there quite a bit. Encarnacion is a better choice for the 3 hole in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Same here.
    batting Dunn behind Freel is a waste of his protection value. Freels get almost all fastballs anyway because pitchers don't want to walk him and he has little power.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Phillips hitting 3rd isn't likely to turn out well either.
    I'm not big on Phillips in the third spot but I can rationalize. If Dunner hits a homerun in the 2 hole Phillips becomes a lead off hitter.

I'm hoping sandwiching him between those two will help him but unless he learns to be more selective, he'll simply be a rally killer there quite a bit. Encarnacion is a better choice for the 3 hole in my opinion.
    I certainly understand that, but I like having the free swinger mentality in that spot. Phillips is too good a hitter at this point to have in the bottom, and he's not selective enough to be a 1 or 2. I agree with putting him in the 3 right now, with the hopes of Griffey staying healthy and giving him some protection, and letting him go after it.

And I have no problem re-evaluating it after 100-150 ABs and tweaking if necessary.

Phillips is too good a hitter at this point to have in the bottom, and he's not selective enough to be a 1 or 2.
    at this point there is scant evidence to support that supposition. He OPSed ~700 in the 2nd half of the season after pitchers had a chance to see him. Those numbers suggest an 8 hole hitter more than a 3 hole hitter. He doesn't have an impressive minor league track record either.

at this point there is scant evidence to support that supposition. He OPSed ~700 in the 2nd half of the season after pitchers had a chance to see him. Those numbers suggest an 8 hole hitter more than a 3 hole hitter. He doesn't have an impressive minor league track record either.
    While true, he OPSed .948 in August. He then proceeded to OPS a mind-bogglingly bad .457 in September. The fact of the matter is, our entire offense died in September. It's really hard to use those numbers from the 2nd half last year.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Catchers bat 8th. Its really that simple. Narron would put Piazza 8th.
    ...and that Bench fellow, too.
    sorry we're boring

batting Dunn behind Freel is a waste of his protection value. Freels get almost all fastballs anyway because pitchers don't want to walk him and he has little power.
    Getting Dunn's OB up in front of some hitters who can move him around the bases is much more important to me than having him buy pitches for the hitters in front of him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    While true, he OPSed .948 in August. He then proceeded to OPS a mind-bogglingly bad .457 in September. The fact of the matter is, our entire offense died in September. It's really hard to use those numbers from the 2nd half last year.
    Ok then use his season numbers ~750, still not #3 hole material. Don't like that then use his minor league numbers. His last 3 seasons in the minors (over 1300 ABs) he OPSed 553, 793, 735. There just isn't any evidence to suggest he is anywhere close to being a #3 hitter. He should be hitting 6th or 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Getting Dunn's OB up in front of some hitters who can move him around the bases is much more important to me than having him buy pitches for the hitters in front of him.
    seems like it should be easy to do both ... unless your name is Narron.

Ok then use his season numbers ~750, still not #3 hole material. Don't like that then use his minor league numbers. His last 3 seasons in the minors (over 1300 ABs) he OPSed 553, 793, 735. There just isn't any evidence to suggest he is anywhere close to being a #3 hitter. He should be hitting 6th or 7th.
    Unless Narron feels like he is going to take another step as a hitter this year. There HAS to be something telling him he is a better choice for the 3 hole then Edwin, at least I would hope.

Turn Off Ads?