Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

I'll keep doing this until I run out of material. So long as a track is at least ten years old, it qualifies.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-21-2013),Dom Heffner (10-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I just wanted to chime in with my appreciation for Rev4Blue's most recent post. I always liked "Start the Car" but felt like I was one of the few people who even knew about it, so it's great to see it recognized here. I cannot believe it came out over 20 years ago.

"Strange Way" is another great song. My favorite Firefall song is another one with an edge to it, "Cinderella." It was the third single they released, and it came between the two sappier hits, "You Are the Woman" and "Just Remember I Love You," but the tone of the song couldn't be more different. Looking back, the order in which these songs were released is pretty interesting. Wonder if the woman in "You Are the Woman" is also "Cinderella." If so, things really turned sour.

Love this thread!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

5. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-21-2013),Dom Heffner (10-19-2013),marcshoe (10-20-2013),Revering4Blue (10-19-2013)

I wanted to jump in before another day goes by, and I've been up all night and need to sleep so I'll try and keep it short. Awesome calls to R4B and RichRed also...totally forgot about Jude Cole and hope to add him to my stream soon. I didn't think there were any Firefall songs I could play but my eyes have been opened to that as well. It's so funny the songs we all hear in our lifetimes, many of which (and I'm just speaking for myself) not knowing at the time who it was, or perhaps just forgetting, or too much and other things back then. OK, a lot of "other things". But for some reason, despite all the things I've forgotten, my mind seems to store lyrics away in a special place, and even if a song wasn't a huge hit, I can be sitting here going thru these groups 35 years later and suddenly hear a phrase that makes my head turn a little sideways, like a dog hearing his master in the distance, and it's like "I've heard this and I know what's coming next!" It's such a rush and not one that I get every day. But it's like an old friend.

Some radio people used to call it a "Wow" song and subsequently throw one in every once in a while. As anti-burned-out-hit as my station is, I guess you could refer to it as a "wow" format, but that's a little pretentious and not what I intended it to be. All I wanted was to play all the "cool songs" that we all used to hear and wondered why they suddenly went away.

In any event, I LOVE going down these rabbit holes of individual groups that I either forgot about, didn't know about, or was so certain I couldn't play just because I didn't recognise a title in a list. What did we ever do without youtube as a cross reference. Here's two other Jude Cole songs I'm going to add (in addition to Start the Car) thanks to R4B's pointing me down the right rabbit hole:

Jude Cole - Baby, It's Tonight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qN_XrhA3M

Jude Cole - It Comes Around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6xfVaXFb8

RichRed beat me to posting Cinderella...such an awesome song man...and I have to confess I never ever knew that was Firefall. I bet I even had the album. Had. Anyways, that song has such a powerful chorus I almost spilled hot coffee on myself. So that's one I'm also adding soon also, along with Headed For a Fall...and these others I think:

Firefall - It Doesn't Matter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uL_gRl3yfw

Firefall - Goodbye, I Love You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbDlU_d9Zk

I'm pretty sure when I heard It Doesn't Matter, way back when, that I thought it was Crosby Stills and Nash...and come to find out last night it was cowritten by Stephen Stills. It defintiely shows. It's amazing how many groups connect with each other in some way.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-21-2013),RichRed (10-22-2013)

nm
    Last edited by Dave Collins; 10-21-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Icehouse-Electric Blue

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUFOVu1CurM

Was listening to Icehouse today at work- Electric Blue was a minor hit in the later 1980's...also had a hit with Crazy, which is another good song. John Oates sings on one of those songs, I believe.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 10-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.

10. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-22-2013),KittyDuran (10-22-2013),Revering4Blue (10-21-2013)

icehouse- Crazy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YMQwRL0EzW0

The video is cheesey, song is great.

12. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-22-2013),Revering4Blue (10-21-2013)

Dave Collins,

In addition to the Firefall tracks you are planning to add to your stream -- Kudos to both You and RichRed for your postings -- I also recall the Firefall tracks "Livin' Ain't Livin', "So Long" and "Staying With It", which featured female co-vocalist, Lisa Nemzo, and proved to be the Band's last hit, receiving significant AOR airplay back in the "day".

And, IMHO, while the aforementioned "Strange Way" may not technically count as a lost track, it certainly does from the AOR airplay standpoint -- it's been years since I've heard it on AOR radio -- and given the fact that run-of-the-mill Classic Rock radio continues to ignore it, I believe that it will fit right in with your format should you choose to add it.

Thanks again.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Was listening to Icehouse today at work- Electric Blue was a minor hit in the later 1980's...also had a hit with Crazy, which is another good song. John Oates sings on one of those songs, I believe.

Both "Crazy" and "Electric Blue" were both major concurrent Pop and AOR hits.

From the who really cares except for yours truly department: "Crazy" peaked at #14 Pop and #10 Rock. "Electric Blue", which, indeed, feature co-writer, John Oates on backing vocal, also clocked in at #10 Rock and was an even bigger pop hit than "Crazy", which peaked at #7 Pop.

As an appetizer to my next entry, here's a cool lost early AOR Icehouse hit:

BTW, the name "Icehouse" is Australian slang for insane asylum.

Icehouse - Icehouse (1981)
    Album: Icehouse

Note: Your eyes are not deceiving you.

15. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-22-2013),RichRed (10-22-2013)

R4B...thanks for the great info on the other Firefall songs and yes Strange Way should have been a no brainer for me to add. That song IS the 70's. I don't think I had ever caught the Crazy video but I actually liked it a lot, although I'm not sure why the dj just hangs up on the chick calling and later walks in and then back out. Calls like that were half the reason we ever answered the phone LOL (I never actually got that many). Maybe it was only happeneing in his mind, or hers.

Dom, I see you are down in my old stumping ground. My stream is actually a tribute to the "old" 98ROCK (and a few others that are gone). I don't know how long you've lived there, but a station across the bay in Bradenton, where my folks still live, used to be the "easy listening" station back in the early 80's. I worked on the AM country station and every 3 hours we had to go into the hall and change the big music reels on the FM automation that all the old folks listened to. I heard a few years ago that it was now the Classic Rock station. Really funny how things change. It's something else now. Apparently classic rock is back in Tampa on not one but two frequencies piped in from NYC and one of the jocks used to be on the old heritage rocker WPLJ...

Classic Rock format ‘Thunder’ comes back to Tampa Bay radio
    http://www.examiner.com/article/clas...ampa-bay-radio

I would be interested in getting your take since you live there. Are they doing something unique and true to the format or is this the same old mindless corporate format?

When I was looking for the old station in Bradenton I stumbled onto this interesting sidenote. If I still lived there I might have popped in and jammed with them but then again I'm a Baptist...

New Bradenton pastor a big fan of classic rock
    http://www.bradenton.com/2013/09/14/...a-big-fan.html

Maybe we should invite him into the discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

Trippy video but what/who am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Both "Crazy" and "Electric Blue" were both major concurrent Pop and AOR hits.

From the who really cares except for yours truly department: "Crazy" peaked at #14 Pop and #10 Rock. "Electric Blue", which, indeed, feature co-writer, John Oates on backing vocal, also clocked in at #10 Rock and was an even bigger pop hit than "Crazy", which peaked at #7 Pop.

As an appetizer to my next entry, here's a cool lost early AOR Icehouse hit:

BTW, the name "Icehouse" is Australian slang for insane asylum.

Wow. I can't believe someone knows this song. When I saw Icehouse posted here yesterday I searched for this but could only find a live version.

Icehouse was another group that was popular when I lived in Sydney. The group was called Flowers and released a great album called Icehouse. When they signed a US contract, I think, the name was taken so they changed the band name to the name of the album/song.

One of my favorite albums with tracks like 'We can get together' 'I can't help myself' 'Fatman' and others. I liked this LP better than anything the band did afterward. Iva Davies disbanded the group and pretty much took on the name himself with a rotating band of musicians for a while, iirc.

I wish Rhapsody carried this album. 'Icehouse' needs to be on my Halloween playlist.

Devil lives inside the icehouse
    At least that's what the old ones say
    They say, (he came a long time ago)
    He came here with the winter snow
    Now it's colder every day.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Trippy video but what/who am I missing?
    Nothing at all with the video.

I just thought that it was/is unusual to for the band, song and album titles to be identical.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Wow. I can't believe someone knows this song. When I saw Icehouse posted here yesterday I searched for this but could only find a live version.

Icehouse was another group that was popular when I lived in Sydney. The group was called Flowers and released a great album called Icehouse. When they signed a US contract, I think, the name was taken so they changed the band name to the name of the album/song.

One of my favorite albums with tracks like 'We can get together' 'I can't help myself' 'Fatman' and others. I liked this LP better than anything the band did afterward. Iva Davies disbanded the group and pretty much took on the name himself with a rotating band of musicians for a while, iirc.

I wish Rhapsody carried this album. 'Icehouse' needs to be on my Halloween playlist.

Devil lives inside the icehouse
    At least that's what the old ones say
    They say, (he came a long time ago)
    He came here with the winter snow
    Now it's colder every day.
    Well, look what I found on Youtube, of all places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7fgBqBHvY

I remember hearing "We Can Get Together", believe it or not, on Top 40 radio more often than on AOR Radio. OTOH, the title track received major AOR airplay, though, I mainly recall it as the second Icehouse track on two-fer Tuesday, when "Crazy", "Electric Blue" and the David Bowie -Esq, "No Promises" -- The band's other major AOR hit in the States -- were at their peak, and still remains, IMO, the band's definitive AOR radio track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Icehouse-Electric Blue

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUFOVu1CurM

Two of my favorite songs from the '80s had "Blue" in the title and both came out in 1987: "Electric Blue" by Icehouse and "Midnight Blue" by Lou Gramm. Love that song.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

Two of my favorite songs from the '80s had "Blue" in the title and both came out in 1987: "Electric Blue" by Icehouse and "Midnight Blue" by Lou Gramm. Love that song.
    Midnight Blue is one of the great underrated songs of the era, as was his other hit, "Just Between You and Me."

One of the great "rock stars being a jerk" stories from this time period was when Lou Gramm was with Foreigner and Mick Jones, of course.

After recording their albums, it was customary for Gramm and Jones to sit down and work out how much songwriting credit they got for each song on the album, since they cowrote much of the songs.

However- after finishing "Agent Provaceteur" they came to settle "I Want to Know What Love Is," which Gramm says they more or less wrote together. Jones- sensing what a smash it was to become- told Gramm it was a 90/10 split in Jones' favor, or something similar. Gramm, feeling pretty insulted and getting a clue what he was going to do basically said well fine, you wrote the whole thing then...keep my name off of it if that's how you feel.

And so Mick Jones made millions and Gramm got cut out of the songwriting credits for a major song.

I watched an interview with Gramm the other day and could not believe how he has aged- he was pretty ill for awhile there, but man...he doesn't look good. I know they put their differences aside to accept a songwriting award together and Gramm said he'd love to get back together...but the new lead singer runs circls around him right now....better voice, healthy....kinda sad.

Anyhow- love Lou Gramm and the singles he had, along with most of the Foreigner stuff.

Turn Off Ads?