Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates sign Liriano

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Pirates sign Liriano

2 years, $14 million.

Their rotation has a pretty solid top-four with Burnett, McDonald, Wandy and Liriano. I assume Morton will be No. 5 if healthy?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/87...on-report-says

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Pirates sign Liriano

The way Liriano has pitched the past several years has been quite Volquez-like. I think this is a good signing...for the Reds.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I think this is another move that shows who the Pirates really are. Sign a reputation to try to prove you're a contender while hoping fans won't think about how poorly the player's performed recently. ERA over five the last two seasons, three of the last four.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Well, Pittsburg is not exactly a place where most FA want to go.

I have not followed Liriano much, but he's not a horrible signing for the BOR. He's had success in the past, there's always hope to recapture the magic.

I like this signing better than comparable ones that the Reds used to make (Fogg, J Anderson, etc)

Signings like this make me appreciate guys like Arroyo and Leake though. Kind of proves how scarce quality starting pitching is.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I think this is another move that shows who the Pirates really are. Sign a reputation to try to prove you're a contender while hoping fans won't think about how poorly the player's performed recently. ERA over five the last two seasons, three of the last four.
    It reminds me very much of some of the Bowden years. Sign "name" reclamation projects and hope for the best. Unfortunately, as we learned many times, that's not enough to push you over the hump.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    It reminds me very much of some of the Bowden years. Sign "name" reclamation projects and hope for the best. Unfortunately, as we learned many times, that's not enough to push you over the hump.
    They're good signings when they're potentially filling holes, and you have backup if needed. They're not things to build on, and...ugh, Pirates. They're maddening and I don't even care about them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Burnett was all kinds of awful in NY, but he was an ace w/Pitt. Maybe they think a change of scenery will help Liriano.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Burnett was all kinds of awful in NY, but he was an ace w/Pitt. Maybe they think a change of scenery will help Liriano.
    Oh, I'm sure that's what they're thinking. Or hoping.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

But isn't $14 million a lot of money for a hope? And even $17 million for Russell Martin seemed a lot to me

Am I just out of touch with how much money teams have these days? I could see a Liriano getting a 1 year deal, but 2 years, $14 million?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I like this signing better than comparable ones that the Reds used to make (Fogg, J Anderson, etc)
    I don't think it's comparable to those signings. Those guys were signed on the cheap. Liriano is making a nice chunk of change. This is more like the Eric Milton signing.

That's a lot of money for a guy who hasn't looked genuinely good since 2006.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

This is the kind of guy you sign for $3M over 1 year with a chance to prove himself again.

Also, didn't Pittsburgh non-tender Jeff Karstens? I definitely think Karstens is better than Liriano, and is cheaper to boot.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    This is the kind of guy you sign for $3M over 1 year with a chance to prove himself again.
    I don't understand current baseball economics. Stephen Drew's $10M deal is another headscratcher for me. Guys I think should get a minor league deal & an invite to spring training are getting millions of dollars.

Liriano isn't awful but he doesn't seem worth the deal he got.
    Last edited by Will M; 12-21-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: addition

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

As someone said earlier, a lot of people were wondering why the Pirates wanted anything to do with AJ Burnett. Sometimes a change of scenery is all a guy needs -- especially a starting pitcher going from the AL to the NL. Not saying this was a good move for the Bucs, but I don't think it was a terrible one. They definitely needed another starting pitcher. They have a pretty decent rotation now from 1-5.

Turn Off Ads?