Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams

Re: Dick Williams

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    At the MLB level we are losing a lot of players Roark, Hernandez, Wood, Puig, Scooter, Iglesias.
    We have only 2 good position players going into next year Suarez and Senzel. Dietrich is a useful player. Peraza and Winker are fighting with replacement level production. Votto has become one of the least productive 1B and is on the decline. Casali/Barnhart needs to be upgraded.
    I have a hard time seeing the pitching being better next year.

Basically we are going to lose talent from a sub .500 team with no one to replace from the farm, FA does not seem like an option for improvement and we do not have a lot of assets to trade to make the team better.

We lack a good enough core to build around which I blame on the front office.
    You don't know that we're going to lose all of those players. I went into this season with expectations; but not as high as some fans (i.e play-offs or bust). I saw '19 as a year of observation, a turning point, where they see what they have, the positives and negatives, and what needs to be addressed moving forward. Some of those players (above) IMO need to be gone, while others need to be seriously looked at at season's end. A separating the chaff from the wheat kind of thing.

There is no denying that Dick Williams has a HUGE task before him going into '20 and beyond. He has a golden opportunity here to put this team over the top (be the hero) .... or muck it all up (and become the goat). There's a lot of questions to be answered concerning areas of need/weakness, and what FA's are worthy to be pursued, are part of the future. IMO, more then anything, if Williams does not continue the positive direction of our pitching, allows it to regress, then the Reds are toast, and so is he. At least with the fan-base. That will be the nail in the coffin.

Position players?... C, 2B, SS, and an OF spot.

I think they will retain Iglesias. Whose our SS in '20? We really have no one. The priority at SS is the glove. The bat is secondary. Iglesias is an excellent middle defender, with an average bat. He's having a solid year offensively, but that could be due to league change and GABP. We'll see moving forward.

2B? Anyone's guess. It ain't Peraza IMO. You have Dietrich under our control for next year. Then you have Scooter who is a FA. Both are average defenders with a plus bat. But if you'll notice on Dietrich, in the last month, he's come crashing back to earth. Love to have him on my bench. That's about it. So if they don't pursue Scooter - and I have no issue with a 2-3 yr contract - then 2B could become a "black hole".

The Catching position is already a black-hole. 'Nuff said there. Needs to be addressed in the off-season.

The OF? Senzel in CF, and after that - not so sure. I want to see where Winker ends up at season's end. Showing more patience here. The big question is if they'll retain Puig. Personally, I hope they let him walk. So that leaves them needing to find an OFer.

We snatched up players like Gennett, Iglesias, Dietrich, and others, rather cheaply. And they have performed well for us. But they're all pushing 30 too. IMO, whether we retain any of them or not, the market is filled with these types of players every season. You don't overpay for players like this when the market says otherwise, and they can be replaced.

Whatever avenues they pursue, whether through a trade deal, or the market - Williams has to pinpoint those needs, be aggressive, and be willing to pay for it if need be.

By the end of the season, Williams will be standing there trying to decide which chalice to drink from (LOL)

Last edited by GAC; 06-15-2019 at 05:15 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

JCM11 (06-15-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Can we start with the question ofwhether whether this team is better than they were before? They started 1-8 and are .500 since then. The pitching currently is much better. As promised, by the way. The hitting is the thing we say; they haven't been supporting the pitching. However, this team has outscored the opposition to the point that one would think sufficient to be at least a winning team. Their record is somewhat of a mystery, but on balance the club is undoubtedly better this year. The question to me is about 2020-2022 because it takes time to shed the bad contracts and put the team in position to win with young, inexpensive talent when the club doesn't have $200 million to spend. It sucks to say this because I'm honestly wearing thin on losing, but I also wonder if people really get what a train wreck the front office has been during the last decade or understand that the margins for error are just razor thin for teams not named the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, etc. I'll give Williams credit for setting the tone, introducing a new way of doing things and dealing with some glaring problems over the short term.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

5. Likes:

Chip R (06-18-2019),OGB (06-17-2019)

This team has scored 2 runs or less 22 times this year, and are 2-20 in those games. That anemic offensive production isn't Dick Williams' fault. This team should be far better on offense, and the fact that they're not is on the players(and probably the new hitting coach).

7. Likes:

OGB (06-17-2019),wlf WV (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    This team has scored 2 runs or less 22 times this year, and are 2-20 in those games. That anemic offensive production isn't Dick Williams' fault. This team should be far better on offense, and the fact that they're not is on the players(and probably the new hitting coach).
    Those are definitely fair points and dont disagree. I guess my only question is who gets the credit for the improve pitching staff?
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Those are definitely fair points and dont disagree. I guess my only question is who gets the credit for the improve pitching staff?
    The new pitching coach of course

I know one thing through two and a half months this team looks lousy an uncompetitive
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    The new pitching coach of course
    So the blame for the lousy hitting should be the idiot they hired from the Dodgers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Time for a change- send him packing. He can always get a job with some Republican or one of his relatives.

13. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-21-2019),Crumbley (06-16-2019)

I still feel they failed when they coukd have signed Grandal as a free agent catcher before he ended up on tge Brewers. Especially knowing what it woukd take to get Realmuto from the Marlins.

15. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-21-2019),Bourgeois Zee (06-21-2019),Old school 1983 (06-16-2019),Powder River (06-16-2019),RedTeamGo! (06-15-2019),Tom Servo (06-15-2019)

Dick and the Krall making it obvious upgrading C was seen as a priority and not doing it is rather alarming.

Like, they knew it was a major issue and couldn’t get it done with Realmuto so they were just like ::shrugs::

Dickie needs to resign and the reds need to get a legit GM/Pres of baseball ops in here.

Not gonna happen, tho.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Dick and the Krall making it obvious upgrading C was seen as a priority and not doing it is rather alarming.

Like, they knew it was a major issue and couldn’t get it done with Realmuto so they were just like ::shrugs::

Dickie needs to resign and the reds need to get a legit GM/Pres of baseball ops in here.

Not gonna happen, tho.
    Reds currently rank 18th in MLB at catcher in terms of fWAR with a 0.7 fWAR for the position, Of course most of that is Casali, but the Reds knew they had him, so it’s understandable the lack of urgency to upgrade at catcher.

They did make a run at Realmuto, but the price was way too high, so they wisely passed. Signing Grandal would have cost a valuable draft pick and there likely is a reason why every team, including the Dodgers who know him better than anyone else, was reluctant to sign him.

Williams and Krol were aggressive and creative in turning one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball into one of the worst. They made an effort to upgrade elsewhere, but refused to overpay. I, one of Williams harshest critics, have a hard time criticizing him for this off season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

19. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds currently rank 18th in MLB at catcher in terms of fWAR with a 0.7 fWAR for the position, Of course most of that is Casali, but the Reds knew they had him, so it’s understandable the lack of urgency to upgrade at catcher.

They did make a run at Realmuto, but the price was way too high, so they wisely passed. Signing Grandal would have cost a valuable draft pick and there likely is a reason why every team, including the Dodgers who know him better than anyone else, was reluctant to sign him.

Williams and Krol were aggressive and creative in turning one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball into one of the worst. They made an effort to upgrade elsewhere, but refused to overpay. I, one of Williams harshest critics, have a hard time criticizing him for this off season.
    They have show that they can not make the hard choices. The moves they made any redszone can make. It is the hard moves. Look at the Ray's last year they were killed for trading away all of their talent but then won 90 games. They trade archer during the year and this offseason traded high prospect bauer's to Indians for diaz who has been awesome for the Ray's. I live in Tampa and seeing the Ray's organization shows me how inept the reds are. The Ray's are literally going toe to toe with mlb big boys the Yankees and red Sox and we have troubles with the pirates.

21. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    I still feel they failed when they coukd have signed Grandal as a free agent catcher before he ended up on tge Brewers. Especially knowing what it woukd take to get Realmuto from the Marlins.
    I'll admit I was hilariously off base in not wanting Grandal because I wanted them to spend more on pitching, specifically the bullpen.
    In the end, they didn't spend any extra money.
    Like most, I never saw this anemic offense coming.
    If the Reds had decent offensive production they be in the thick of things.
    Grandal would've gone a long way towards that.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

This is like saying that the difficulties of Sears is on the janitor and the employees. Six years of really bad baseball-- fire the hitting coach.

Exactly right. Kemp and Schebler were completely useless early on. Winker and Puig are surprisingly well below their norms. And Votto. That’s not on Williams or the hitting coach.

Turn Off Ads?