Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Escobar out. Possible Belisle move?

Re: Escobar out. Possible Belisle move?

I'd prefer we try and get Willits, solves the big CF and leadoff hitter problem, and he's going to be a backup with the Angels.

Sadly it seems the Reds consider that problem solved.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    When I saw this the first thing that popped into my mind was maybe this was a way to pick up a catcher (Mathis?) as many discussed in another thread.

Escobar's injury may also open a starting slot for D. Mos. Prior to this he was thought to be starting the season in the bully.

Is Belisle a step up over D. Mos? (famous shrug) Could we get Mathis for Belisle? (double famous shrug) Do we even want to trade pitching for a catcher? (all shrugged out)

You guys/gals tell me.

Rem
    I'd love to upgrade the catching position. I think the Reds are among the worst in baseball at that spot, but I'm not sold that Mathis is enough of an upgrade to make it worth dealing Belisle.

I think its a long season. The Reds will probably need 8 to 10 guys who can start to get through it. One of those guys is a 22 year old kid (Cueto) that the organization needs to be careful with and may need to be removed from the rotation for periods of time to keep him healthy and effective. Another is a 21 year old at AAA (Bailey) who is less prepared to handle it physically and even more in danger of injury and may just need a full season down there to work out the kinks in his command. A 3rd is a high ceiling guy who looks like he could shoot to the top of the rotation (Volquez) but is no sure thing and could end up going south or needing to be replaced. A 4th is a AAA LH (Maloney) who looked overmatched in his early spring outings and may not be a realistic back-up plan. A 5th is a journeyman vet (Fogg) who is purely a back-end guy who is prone to periods of ineffectiveness and seems to max out at about 170 innings. Even the mainstays (Harang and Arroyo) are always just one pitch away from being sidelined. I'd guess that before this long season is over, this team is going to need Belisle to avoid the parade of Shearns, Michaleks, Dumatraits and Mayses that we have seen in prior years. I just don't see the need to move the pitching depth at this point. Not saying I wouldn't deal a starter under any circumstances, but it woud take more than Mathis to pry one away.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-28-2008 at 04:25 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'd prefer we try and get Willits, solves the big CF and leadoff hitter problem, and he's going to be a backup with the Angels.

Sadly it seems the Reds consider that problem solved.
    Belisle and Freel for Willits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I really like how Mosely was used last year. Lot's of bullpen work, a few spot starts. He's no #1, but could be a decent 3-4 starter.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Belisle isn't an AL starter. As an Ms fan, I'd love the Angels overreaching. As a Reds fan, I might like the return but would cringe seeing Belisle get lit up in the AL until the Red wore off of my memory of him....

Seriously though, DiGiovanna basically just listed as many potential starters as he thought might on some level be trade bait.
    Last edited by jojo; 03-28-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Belisle and Freel for Willits?
    Let it be done.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?