Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More good news for Hoosier Fans

More good news for Hoosier Fans

Forget about playing 13 next year apparantly....

http://mac624.blogspot.com/2008/03/k...and-other.html

Yesterday, I received the word about Kellen around midmorning that he was indefinitely suspended due to school and practice issues. While I was surprised to hear the news, the picture painted at the time to me was it was fairly minor and KL could work his way back into the good graces of the staff maybe even by the end of spring practice, so I tried to convey that in my email messages and posts on Peegs. This morning, I received more information from 3 very credible sources saying the exact same thing that the news is A LOT worse than just minior stuff. I am now at the point in believing that Kellen Lewis will NEVER play another down of football for this university and he has major issues that he needs to take care of, or his future will be ruined forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: More good news for Hoosier Fans

Proof positive that Bill Lynch is not the answer.

ulletin

Kellen Lewis - QB - Hoosiers
    Hoping to nip a quarterback controversy before it has a chance to sprout, Indiana coach Bill Lynch has named Ben Chappell the starting quarterback and moved Kellen Lewis to a starting wide receiver spot.
    Lewis struggled through a 2008 while dealing with injuries and a quarterback battle, and now he'll have to line up outside full time. He goes from definite fantasy factor to an afterthought at wide receiver. IU will likely still incorporate Lewis' skills as a passer into the offense in some fashion, though it won't be enough for consistent production. Mar. 24 - 3:15 p.m. ET
    Source: Courier-Journal

Ben Chappell - QB - Hoosiers
    Indiana head coach Bill Lynch has decreed that Ben Chappell is his starting quarterback and will see the first-team snaps during practice, thus relegating former quarterback Kellen Lewis to wide receiver, where's he's currently listed as a starter.
    Lynch is attempting to make IU into more of a "downhill running football team" and he feels the best way to do this is with a traditional quarterback under center. Chappell has a fraction of the fantasy value that Kellen Lewis would have as starting quarterback, though we still don't think we've seen Kellen Lewis take his last snap as Indiana quarterback. Mar. 24 - 3:15 p.m. ET
    Source: Courier-Journal

Meh,

I wasn't too impressed with either of them last year. I don't think IU's going to be a power running team all of a sudden so this move strikes me as odd in that sense.

I will say, Kellen Lewis as a QB makes a great WR at times. He and Hardy were able to pick apart weak teams in the run up to the bowl game, but he was a turnover machine with picks and fumbles from the end of 2007 on. That didn't cure itself last year, when if anything he regressed.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Forget about playing 13 next year apparantly....
    Who in the world would have even entertained the idea that next year they'd play 13?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The original post was from last summer when KL originally got suspended.

Lynch is pretty much staking his job on this move. If Indiana does not get to a bowl game this year, he is probably out.

I don't see how anyone could possibly think Chappel gives Indiana a better chance to win than Lewis. Lewis is a stud who had to battle injuries all last season.

I hope this move ends up working out, for Lynch's sake, it better.

I like the idea of getting KL out in space but I really like the idea of him touching the ball every play more.

Lewis is a better passer than Randle-El, but teams stopped really having to defend against the pass last year with him in the game.

This doesn't have any thing to do with the original post of this thread, but it falls under semi Hoosier news, and I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

My brother is a high school Jr. and plays baseball. The team they were playing last night that had an assistant coach who pitched and used to be an assistant coach for IU's baseball team.

My brother played SS for most of the game and pitched the last two innings. After seeing him throw 5 warm up pitches the guy from IU got out his cell phone and took video of his last few warm up pitches. Then went to my brother's Athletic Director, and said "I just called the IU head baseball coach and told him he absolutely has to see that kid you guys just put on the mound." And got my brother's information and gave the AD the IU coach's information. Apparently he was shocked to find out my brother was only a Jr. He told my brother's AD that the IU coach will be in contact and will want to set up a work out.

My brother's AD (who was also my AD and basketball coach) called me and told me the guy basically said something along the lines of "Obviously I can't speak for the (IU) coach and I'm not saying any thing official but I'd be shocked if they didn't offer him a scholarship after one work out. " We didn't tell my brother this, for obvious reasons.

And a couple weeks ago he met a minor league ballplayer who was working at an indoor facility that my brother's team was also working out at and needed someone to throw with. After throwing with my brother for a while and he had my brother show him some of his pitches he called his old coach at Texas State Univ and gave my brother the coach's information. And basically told him the same thing the IU guy told his Athletic Dir.

I know IU's not a very good baseball team but it's still cool for a kid from a tiny high school to get a D1 school to stop and look. And this doesn't really have much relevance to IU or anyone on this board but I'm really excited for him. He's worked hard, stayed out of trouble and gets really good grades. I just felt like telling people, it's good news for this Hoosier fan.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 04-21-2009 at 03:57 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

That's great news for your brother! Here's to hoping the workout(s) go well.

Didn't Lynch lose about 30 in a row at Ball State? I can't believe he was ever given the IU job on anything more than an interim basis.

He was given the job on an interim basis. Taking a team to the first bowl game in 15 years does a little bit for the job security.

Many disagreed with giving him the job full time, but I think its equally likely IU wouldn't have had much success no matter who the coach was last year.

By the way, that's great news Razor, IU's actually gotten better with the new coach(Tracy Smith I think) and are 1/2 game out of the Big Ten lead.

Kellen Lewis dismissed from Indiana football team.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/

Bill Lynch: Visionary.

This is no where near as devastating as it would be if he was supposed to be the QB.

IU Football 2009

Season starts tonight! I'm excited for the start, but I'm trying to find 6 wins on the schedule and just can't.

My only hope is the Michigan soap opera continues to turn and they're completely in disarray by the time IU shows up.

My prediction 4-8. 3-1 out of conference 1-7 in conference.

I'm excited as well. I have the same mindset you do as I'm not expecting much. But anyway, it's beer and football tonight!

Turn Off Ads?