Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Which says that EdE has been a great pickup for them?
    well, he homered yesterday. He's coming off a wrist injury that has likely sapped a bit of his power but he's still OPSing higher than a few Reds, Not Rolen though.

And the Blue Jays think enough of him to send Bautista back out to RF. By the end of the year, if the wrist is finally healed his numbers will likely be .280 .360 .470 .830. And he'll probably have his throwing issues still.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let us not forget.

We're winning because we're getting OUTSTANDING Starting Pitching. Rolen fits into the Defensive equation there, but it's 1 guy going out every night giving us an outstanding effort....going on 20 straight starts now (with the lone exception of one Homer Bailey mishap). An exceptional 19 of 20 good starts by our Starters. Included in that is an improved Defense. You can't get good starts without good defense.

I don't know how Scott Rolen's "leadership" plays into any part of the Starting Rotation's improvement. That has more to do with Bryan Price's "leadership" than anyone else.....or even Mike Leake's "leadership". It's the fact that the other starters have began pitching like Leake pitches why they are doing so well. (and then there's the stubborn Harang, who wanted to blame the wind on his two gopher pitches the other night...Harang's mental issues are a lot to deal with by anybody....I hope he goes back to what was working for him the three previous starts and listens to those who know better than he does...specifically Ramon Hernandez and Bryan Price).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Rolen returned from the beaning on Aug. 5. so if you take it from that point, it's 56-40,
    Stubbs went on a tear at the time and carried the club, while Dickerson was hot, too.

What if Leake doesn't turn out to be this stud, and we don't win the Chapman signing?

We could be 5 games under .500 without Leake's leadership, and we'd be wondering where we were going to get our pitching in 2010 and 2011.

We wouldn't even be having this discussion right now if it wasn't for Mike Leake, as we wouldn't be winning.

How are you defining leadership?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Stubbs went on a tear at the time and carried the club, while Dickerson was hot, too.

I was only responding to a question about what our record was since Rolen's acquisition, not making the case that he's somehow the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    How are you defining leadership?
    In Leake's case, by example. The way Bailey and Cueto pitched their last two outings is eerily similar to the way Leake has pitched all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    In Leake's case, by example. The way Bailey and Cueto pitched their last two outings is eerily similar to the way Leake has pitched all year.
    So leadership is largely a function of good results?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

So leadership is largely a function of good results?
    Leadership is measured in a million ways, obviously.

It shows itself, though.

You know it when you see it.

I hesitate to bump this tired thread back to the top, but I just have to say as one of the primary critics of this deal that Rolen may be proving me wrong. My primary objection to dealing Stewart was using him to save the Reds cash when these young higher thought of pitchers should be used as key ingredients to bring back a TOR starter or middle of the line-up thump. In my estimation at the time, this trade did not accomplish those objectives.

I have to say that Rolen has shown a lot more power than I expected. Today he hit HR number 9 and has an OPS over .900. Since I only expected single digit HR and a .775 OPS for the season, perhaps I underestimated. Had Rolen performed as expected, I'd feel differently. If he continues what he's doing, its a landslide win for the Reds.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Edwin has a .998 OPS BTW.

Thats the funny thing about not being able to crack the lineup. Have an uncharacteristic 7 PAs and your SLG jumps 300 points.

Thats the funny thing about not being able to crack the lineup. Have an uncharacteristic 7 PAs and your SLG jumps 300 points.
    No one should really question Edwins bat.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    No one should really question Edwins bat.
    Sure they should. He was much better in GABP than on the road and now he's in a tougher league.

Sure they should. He was much better in GABP than on the road and now he's in a tougher league.
    He'd be a huge upgrade in Seattle as a DH.

I never really objected to dealing EdE. Time for him to move from 3B was an easy call. I'll just never believe that the Reds couldn't have waited it out and gotten Rolen for less.

There was a blurb the other day about Rolen driving to IN to attend one of his kid's events and then flying on his own to join the team in Atlanta. St. Louis is the only other city where that's possible (not Chicago BTW). I really doubt he'd have gone anywhere else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?