Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bono the Scrooge

Re: Bono the Scrooge

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The greatest hits packages were mostly beofre the age of downloading one song at a time.

When they were on CD, those were fine because you may have been duplicating the songs but at least you got everything on one CD plus the new stuff.

We no longer live in that time. The whole point of the iPod is to put things on that I want. If I already have something, why would I want it twice when it offers no advantage?

To me, you do not force people to buy something they already own just to get 3 dollars worth of music.

My problem isn't that he's charitable- he wants me to finance it for him. I realize this is the record company, but it's not their name I'm clicking on when I buy it.

It's still a crappy thing to do to long-time fans. Maybe I should just have twenty copies of "One" so Bono can give some money away to third world countries. Heck, make it 30.

It's not like I'm wanting the songs for free- I want to buy them, I just don't want to pay the extra 7 dollars for songs I already own.

Bono wants to bring technology to everybody but when it might cost him some money, he wants to play by the old rules.
    I have to agree with Dom on this one. We don't see eye to eye on a lot of social issues but to me Bono is all bark and no bite. It's not like Bono is putting out a lot of top 20 hits. Only his real fans want to down load his new stuff. It is a punch in the gut to his fans not to allow them to do so without buying the entire CD.
    From a business stand point, with so many music lovers having MP 3 players, it would make more since to make your money a buck 50 or so at a time. Seems to me you would actually make more money. I'm really not that educated about how the money is split, but I would think that Bono would get a decent cut of it.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think maybe this is one of those cases where, if there were enough U2 fans who felt the same way as you Dom, perhaps a letter writing campaign could make a difference.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

My problem isn't that he's charitable- he wants me to finance it for him.
    That's the problem with most celeb do-gooder types. It's easy to give away other peoples money. I respect the ones who quietly go about giving to charities and do so without the spot light or attempted guilt trips on the general public. Those folks are the ones who should earn our respect.

But the ones who want to soak up the spotlight while doing charity work AND want you to finance there alleged good works really are just doing it for the attention.

If you harp on other people for being "too wealthy" and not sharing ala Bono, but spend a lot of your time making sure you have yours, you are the diffinition of a hypocrite IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    That's the problem with most celeb do-gooder types. It's easy to give away other peoples money. I respect the ones who quietly go about giving to charities and do so without the spot light or attempted guilt trips on the general public. Those folks are the ones who should earn our respect.

But the ones who want to soak up the spotlight while doing charity work AND want you to finance there alleged good works really are just doing it for the attention.

If you harp on other people for being "too wealthy" and not sharing ala Bono, but spend a lot of your time making sure you have yours, you are the diffinition of a hypocrite IMO.
    If you don't speak up about charity, no one gives. That's the conundrum with charity/aid--you have to talk about it.

We all appreciate modesty, but let's face it, unless most Joe Punchclocks are guilted into it (by church, Bono, whomever), they WON'T give. Nature of the American beast.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I heart Bono.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If you don't speak up about charity, no one gives. That's the conundrum with charity/aid--you have to talk about it.

We all appreciate modesty, but let's face it, unless most Joe Punchclocks are guilted into it (by church, Bono, whomever), they WON'T give. Nature of the American beast.
    On some level I agree with you FCB. Then again, after the Tsumani in SA Asia a few years ago, there was a massive public responce around the world with support in terms of money, time and effort. There were no telethons, Madonna, Oprah and Rosie weren't out telling us we are slime if we don't give and there wern't any real celeb outcries that I remember. Those folks came on board as the scope of the disaster was realized but the public generally responded with little prompting.

On some level I agree with you FCB. Then again, after the Tsumani in SA Asia a few years ago, there was a massive public responce around the world with support in terms of money, time and effort. There were no telethons, Madonna, Oprah and Rosie weren't out telling us we are slime if we don't give and there wern't any real celeb outcries that I remember. Those folks came on board as the scope of the disaster was realized but the public generally responded with little prompting.
    That's because the suffering was front and center--on 24/7, and frankly the world could not ignore it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

All bark and no bite? I understand how Bono can rub people the wrong way, but the dude has done more positive things with his celebrity than pretty much anyone else I can think of. Is he Mother Teresa? Of course not. He knows that he's a rock star first and doesn't pretend to be a saint. But do you have any idea how much 3rd world debt forgiveness Bono has a had a key role in making happen? While many celebs are out there attending galas and writing checks that amount to pennies for them, Bono spends a ton of his time lobbying on behalf of otherwise unrepresented populations.

I'm not in to hero worship, but of all the artists who put out a greatest hits album with a few new songs, I'd venture to guess that Bono has done more positive in the world than most.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good post Rick...I had thought about going off on a tangent explaining how Bono statistically speaking is surely a more positive force in the universe than any of us could ever be (House fans know what I am talking about). But you summed it up nicely. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    All bark and no bite? I understand how Bono can rub people the wrong way, but the dude has done more positive things with his celebrity than pretty much anyone else I can think of. Is he Mother Teresa? Of course not. He knows that he's a rock star first and doesn't pretend to be a saint. But do you have any idea how much 3rd world debt forgiveness Bono has a had a key role in making happen? While many celebs are out there attending galas and writing checks that amount to pennies for them, Bono spends a ton of his time lobbying on behalf of otherwise unrepresented populations.

I'm not in to hero worship, but of all the artists who put out a greatest hits album with a few new songs, I'd venture to guess that Bono has done more positive in the world than most.

But do you have any idea how much 3rd world debt forgiveness Bono has a had a key role in making happen? While many celebs are out there attending galas and writing checks that amount to pennies for them, Bono spends a ton of his time lobbying on behalf of otherwise unrepresented populations.
    This is the crux of my beef with Bono. He's spending his time telling other people what to do with their money. Do this, cancel that, give this.

But when it's his turn to be told what to do with his money, it's a different story. He moves his assets to reduce his tax bill.

I think his goals are admirable. And I don't have a problem with people trying to reduce their tax exposure. But if you are going to tell other people how they should manage their money, don't get in a snot when its your turn to be told what to do with your money.

I've paid for everything I've gotten. Sometimes even twice when I wanted to replace my cassettes with CDs.

I'm not paying this clown again for two or three new songs.
    Although their newest music isn't really worth paying for IMO any ways.

This is the crux of my beef with Bono. He's spending his time telling other people what to do with their money. Do this, cancel that, give this.

But when it's his turn to be told what to do with his money, it's a different story. He moves his assets to reduce his tax bill.

I think his goals are admirable. And I don't have a problem with people trying to reduce their tax exposure. But if you are going to tell other people how they should manage their money, don't get in a snot when its your turn to be told what to do with your money.
    Really? What evidence do you have of this? I'm not saying I know otherwise, but that's a pretty significant claim. I would also argue, that his influence is worth as much, if not more than any check he could write. There's an argument to be made that the debt relief doesn't happen without him -- and that relief has totaled hundreds of billions from not just the U.S., but around the world.

There's more than one way to have a positive influence in the world.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I guess Bono could argue that if he has more money in his pocket he can make sure it gets to other's as well.

All of us on here move around our money to pay less in taxes, I hope.

Giving to the government isn't charity, unless Ireland aids others with that money.

Even so, I'm not sure it's a good thing to do that.

My beef is more with iTunes and the label, I guess.

Really? What evidence do you have of this? I'm not saying I know otherwise, but that's a pretty significant claim.

There's an argument to be made that the debt relief doesn't happen without him --
    Evidence of this his tax dodges....

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...0dodge_1008508

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...d=aef6sR60oDgM

By the way, the the champions of debt relief were able to manage before Bono came on the scene. His actions, while noble, are certinally not revolutionary. Nor can an argument be made that it wouldn't take place with out Bono's involvement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_relief

Here is the relevant quote...
    Debt relief for heavily indebted and underdeveloped developing countries was the subject in the 1990s of a campaign by a broad coalition of development NGOs, Christian organisations and others, under the banner of Jubilee 2000. This campaign, involving, for example, demonstrations at the 1998 G8 meeting in Birmingham, was successful in pushing debt relief onto the agenda of Western governments and international organisations such as the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.

If you're mad at Bono for moving his businesses to avoid paying taxes on them, then you're going to be mad at all rich people who support charities. All rich people move their stuff around to avoid paying taxes; that's why they're rich.

So if they gave to charity, avoided paying their taxes, but don't ask people to contribute to charity, you'd be okay with it; but because he moves his assets, gives to charity, and asks others to give to charity, he's a schmuck.

Gotcha.

Turn Off Ads?