Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Heisey

Chris Heisey

Was looking at Heiseys minor league numbers and saw that all the way thru he had an outstanding OBP (.375 range.) He also stole 20 bases each year. If you told him at the end of the season to take off 10-15 pounds and plan on playing center and leading off in 2013, could he handle it. The more I see him the more I think he could do the job.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Heisey

Chris Heisey could be a very affordable, slightly above-average CF for the Reds over the next couple years if they just gave the guy a fricking chance. He has raised his batting average this year to the .280 range, shows the ability to cover ground in CF, has cut down on his K rate, and by all accounts hustles every ball and takes well to coaching.

Drew Stubbs is currently last in average, slugging, on base, strikeouts for every Reds position player except Scott Rolen. The guy is a bust and needs a change of scenery. I don't know if Heisey can be anything above average but his numbers are improving year over year while Stubbs continues to disappoint. He deserves a chance everyday and I can l live with Heisey in CF as long as the Reds get a LH OF to balance he and Ludwick out.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Chris Heisey could be a very affordable, slightly above-average CF for the Reds over the next couple years if they just gave the guy a fricking chance. He has raised his batting average this year to the .280 range, shows the ability to cover ground in CF, has cut down on his K rate, and by all accounts hustles every ball and takes well to coaching.

Drew Stubbs is currently last in average, slugging, on base, strikeouts for every Reds position player except Scott Rolen. The guy is a bust and needs a change of scenery. I don't know if Heisey can be anything above average but his numbers are improving year over year while Stubbs continues to disappoint. He deserves a chance everyday and I can l live with Heisey in CF as long as the Reds get a LH OF to balance he and Ludwick out.
    I can't find the numbers on this, but every time Heisey has been a starter for an extended period of time, he's struggled. They really do have to spot him and pick the right pitchers to use him against for him to be successful it seems like.

Hes never got anywhere near the chances that Stubbs has.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I can't find the numbers on this, but every time Heisey has been a starter for an extended period of time, he's struggled. They really do have to spot him and pick the right pitchers to use him against for him to be successful it seems like.
    Yes it does "seem".....1 time in Heisey's career has he had 13 or more starts in a 3 week period. This year from May 14th to June 25th he hit .318 (29 starts)

Drew Stubbs has been the every day starter since the day he was called up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Yes it does "seem".....1 time in Heisey's career has he had 13 or more starts in a 3 week period. This year from May 14th to June 25th he hit .318 (29 starts)

Drew Stubbs has been the every day starter since the day he was called up.
    Heisey as a starter this season.....

52 starts - .282, 3 HR, 17 RBI, 8BB, 42 K (206 AB)

Even in the timeframe referenced above, Heisey had 1 HR and 10 RBI in those 29 starts. The bottom line is that is not very productive and is consistent with Heisey's lack of production when starting.

This is not an indictment of Heisey or a justification for Stubbs. But the numbers bear out the fact is that Heisey is very good in a certain role which is pinch hitting and 1-2 starts per week. He is not an everyday guy.

Those stats are so misleading. Heisey normally bats leadoff or 2nd during that recent stretch of starts so his power numbers will not be off the charts. To me the most important thing is he hits 60 POINTS higher in average than Stubbs, 40 more than Ludwick, and gets on base at a better clip than most. IMO, Heisey & Ludwick should have the LF & CF jobs from the player pool we currently have. I didn't say Heisey was a world-beater but he is CLEARLY more productive than Stubbs and that's not even arguable.

Those stats are so misleading. Heisey normally bats leadoff or 2nd during that recent stretch of starts so his power numbers will not be off the charts. To me the most important thing is he hits 60 POINTS higher in average than Stubbs, 40 more than Ludwick, and gets on base at a better clip than most. IMO, Heisey & Ludwick should have the LF & CF jobs from the player pool we currently have. I didn't say Heisey was a world-beater but he is CLEARLY more productive than Stubbs and that's not even arguable.
    ^^^^What that guy said.

In the Stubbs thread yesterday I said Drew Stubbs should be benched for 3-4 weeks and only appear as a late inning pinch-runner and spend extended time in the batting cages. This was before we lost Votto, but I stand by it.
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

You can't make this argument in comparison to Stubbs since he is also batting at the top of the lineup and Stubbs has better power and SB numbers in relatively the same number of AB's (as of today Stubbs 263, Heisey 221).

Again, I'm not here to say Stubbs is the answer but it is absolutely debatable who is the more productive player in CF despite Stubbs' struggles. The fact is Heisey has had plenty of opportunity in 2012 to show more and hasn't.

Did someone really just use RBIs and HR to justify sitting a guy who bats .280 high in the order when he starts? He's not going to drive in many runs with Mesoraco, the pitcher and Cozart hitting in front of him. What's important is that he's standing on first or second when Votto comes to the plate. Stubbs does it in streaks, yeah but Heisey is much more consistent. We can't have Stubbs at the top of the order going into a tight race in September when he's on one of his 2-33 streaks and refusing to change his approach or take a walk.

The key is in the approach. Stubbs shows absolutely know inkling to change anyway he goes about the game. Heisey seems like the type that will do whatever it takes, bunt ect..

Heisey has 5 hits in the last two games.....zero rbi

You can't control runs and RBI and OB% is on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    You can't make this argument in comparison to Stubbs since he is also batting at the top of the lineup and Stubbs has better power and SB numbers in relatively the same number of AB's (as of today Stubbs 263, Heisey 221).

Again, I'm not here to say Stubbs is the answer but it is absolutely debatable who is the more productive player in CF despite Stubbs' struggles. The fact is Heisey has had plenty of opportunity in 2012 to show more and hasn't.
    BA OBP SLG OPS
    Stubbs .176 .236 .275 .511 w/RISP,
    Heisey .271 .328 .390 .718 w/RISP

Heisey has 4 outfield assists to Stubbs' 2. Honestly, EVERY offensive stat I look at, Heisey has better numbers besides stolen bases. I'll also argue all day that Heisey is as good if not a better OF'er than Stubbs. Better arm, vision, close in speed and Heisy will actually dive for a ball. Something I'm not sure I've seen Stubbs do in two years.

Go Reds!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Starter (2012):

Stubbs - .216/.288/.363/.651

Heisey - .282/.318/.398/.716

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Did someone really just use RBIs and HR to justify sitting a guy who bats .280 high in the order when he starts? He's not going to drive in many runs with Mesoraco, the pitcher and Cozart hitting in front of him. What's important is that he's standing on first or second when Votto comes to the plate. Stubbs does it in streaks, yeah but Heisey is much more consistent. We can't have Stubbs at the top of the order going into a tight race in September when he's on one of his 2-33 streaks and refusing to change his approach or take a walk.
    Again you can't argue that Heisey production is low compared to Stubbs because he hits at the top of the order when Stubbs hits there as well. Stubbs is up and down and no one is trying to argue that but to say that Heisey is a far more productive player than Stubbs is simply an avoidance of reality. In fact, Stubbs' better power numbers are more relevant in this comparison, IMO, given the fact that the Reds are just awful in manufacturing runs no matter who is hitting. They are as dependent on the long ball as any team in the NL.

Turn Off Ads?