Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 30 Day Personnel Plan If Cingrani Succeeds

Re: 30 Day Personnel Plan If Cingrani Succeeds

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Actually Galarraga and Reinecke are both pitching well at AAA, and a couple guys are also pitching well at AA.

The Reds have some pitching depth. What they lack is anything resembling a hitter from AAA. To find a hitter in this system you gotta drive to Bakersfield.
    Good luck with those guys. AAAA. I hope they don't get a chance unless its in September after the Reds have clinched.

Agree there isn't a hitter to help from the farm. I just don't think there's a pitcher either now that Cingrani has arrived. Perhaps Corcino will turn it around. I'm not holding my breath waiting at this point. He can help down the road, but probably not this season. They are fairly deep in mop-up guys, but nobody to fill in for a starter or key reliever.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-29-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good luck with those guys. AAAA. I hope they don't get a chance unless its in September after the Reds have clinched.

Agree there isn't a hitter to help from the farm. I just don't think there's a pitcher either now that Cingrani has arrived. Perhaps Corcino will turn it around. I'm not holding my breath waiting at this point. He can help down the road, but probably not this season. They are fairly deep in mop-up guys, but nobody to fill in for a starter or key reliever.
    I'm with you here. Never can have enough pitching.

If LF really is an issue, there are other ways to improve it besides trading a starting pitcher.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    More than 1/3 into the 30 day plan, and I stand by the original plan. It looks to me like if this team wants to win in 2013, Cingrani is looking a lot better in the rotation than Leake.
    AAA can do more for Cingrani than it can for Leake.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-16-2013),dfs (05-15-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I wouldn't be opposed to trading one of our minor league quality pitchers for a quality minor league OF prospect on another team.

We have pitching depth. We can't develop any hitters in our minors anymore for some reason. Poor drafting other than Winker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading one of our minor league quality pitchers for a quality minor league OF prospect on another team.

We have pitching depth. We can't develop any hitters in our minors anymore for some reason. Poor drafting other than Winker.
    Seriously? Isn't most of the current lineup homegrown talent other than Choo and BP? Maybe the Reds are in a bit of a lull, but after their recent run (Votto, Bruce, Frazier, Mesoraco, Cozart, Heisey, Hanigan, not to mention a bunch of guys now on other teams) I have confidence that the system is capable of producing bats.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

8. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (05-17-2013)

I don't know whether Benihana lost interest in his masterplan or if he is just lying in the weeds now that Leake is pitching decently, but regardless, 30 days are up.

I'm just ribbing but the fact is this thread was a lot more active when Cingrani appeared to be the second coming. But now after he can't get out of the fourth inning in one start and he has "soreness" the Cingrani crowd has piped down.

Bird in the hand folks...

I'd still trade Leake right now for a LF. Sell high folks.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think trading either right now is a very short-sighted plan if Ludwick is truly expected back this summer. The Reds are doing OK despite the hole and could get by until he returns. Then, they'll have a replacement for Arroyo next year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Absolutely LOVE Dusty's answer to this. It's exactly what he SHOULD say too.

MIAMI — I asked Dusty Baker after tonight’s game if Mike Leake had done enough to keep his spot in the rotation. Leake (3-2) has a 2.75 ERA over his last five starts. He’s gone at least six innings in all five.

Leake, according to conventional wisdom, has been competing with Tony Cingrani to keep a spot when No. 1 starter Johnny Cueto returns from the disabled list. Baker said that’s not the case.

“Who’s talking about keeping his spot?” Baker said. “He’s doing better than some of the guys on our staff. I don’t understand why it comes down to Leake and somebody else. Leakie’s pitched well. He’s taken us deep into games.
    “It never was a competition.”

Baker did not definitively say who goes when Cueto returns. Cueto is scheduled to start Monday.

“We’ll let you know when that happens,” Baker said. “I don’t think it was a matter of Leakie pitching to keep his spot. It was his spot before anyone else came. You just don’t give up on somebody that quick.”

13. Likes:

jimbo (05-16-2013),REDREAD (05-16-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (05-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

to this i say. pfft. i don't care when or why a guy starts pitching well, and i wouldn't expect either to be a long term solution, but if there were an emrgency, both look like they can contribute. No hopefully that contribution is only 3-4 games, if it happens at all, but depth is depth, and the Reds have rotation depth. Unlike, say, The Dodgers who are again scrambling.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Absolutely LOVE Dusty's answer to this. It's exactly what he SHOULD say too.
    Agree. It's got to be frustrating regarding some of the questions he has to deal with. It reminds me of how I feel every time I look at the thread titles of the 'new' ORG. I miss the two split forums.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't know whether Benihana lost interest in his masterplan or if he is just lying in the weeds now that Leake is pitching decently, but regardless, 30 days are up.

I'm just ribbing but the fact is this thread was a lot more active when Cingrani appeared to be the second coming. But now after he can't get out of the fourth inning in one start and he has "soreness" the Cingrani crowd has piped down.

Bird in the hand folks...
    I still would go with Cingrani over Leake. Not sure who you are poking with this, there have been several cingrani threads and if each was bumped each time, I get the impression people would complain.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I still would go with Cingrani over Leake. Not sure who you are poking with this, there have been several cingrani threads and if each was bumped each time, I get the impression people would complain.
    We were getting updates thru the first 3rd of the month. Then it went dark, right at the same time Leake stepped up his game. Coincidence? Maybe. But I noted it.

But I don't think updates were stopped because of the fear people might complain. I enjoyed watching the month play out, as it was an interesting discussion to have, especially when both guys are playing well.

Kudos to Beni, as he showed up and put his 2 cents in after the month was up.

Well, I could keep talking about how I think cingrani is better than leake, but not sure to what end. It will play out like it plays out. I am glad leake has been better of late (it would be churlish to note that Leake gave up a ton of baserunners last night and was kinda lucky to avoid damage, but it crosses my mind). I don't trust him. I believe cingrani is the better pitcher. I love the K:9 from Cingrani. I love that he limits BBs. I accept that the reds may send him down no matter what I think. I hope leake continues to pitch well and receive luck regardless.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-16-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Well, I could keep talking about how I think cingrani is better than leake, but not sure to what end. It will play out like it plays out. I am glad leake has been better of late (it would be churlish to note that Leake gave up a ton of baserunners last night and was kinda lucky to avoid damage, but it crosses my mind). I don't trust him. I believe cingrani is the better pitcher. I love the K:9 from Cingrani. I love that he limits BBs. I accept that the reds may send him down no matter what I think. I hope leake continues to pitch well and receive luck regardless.
    His BABIP right now is about .350. If anything, he's been unlucky more than lucky although his ERA is pretty close to being in line with his peripherals.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?