Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dusty won't commit to Hamilton for post-season

Dusty won't commit to Hamilton for post-season

I just saw that Dusty still won't make a firm commitment to put Billy Hamilton on the post-season roster. He cannot be serious, right??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty won't commit to Hamilton for post-season

He cant be that dumb can he?? Hamilton is not on the post season roster, Dusty better pack his bags they get beat

Dusty has always had such a hang up about veterans.. but he HAS to know what Billy brings to the game. I just think he doesn't want to Robinson to know that he's not making the roster with 5 more games to go. People will go nuts in Cincinnati if Hamilton is left off, but I was still stunned when I saw the headline tonight.

For a Level Playing Field

A good poker player does not reveal his cards. Why reveal anything at this point? If he does reveal, it might not matter. But why say anything right now (other than the obvious... Votto, BP, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    A good poker player does not reveal his cards. Why reveal anything at this point? If he does reveal, it might not matter. But why say anything right now (other than the obvious... Votto, BP, etc)?
    Who is he playing poker against? IMO, the only reason he doesn't say is he doesn't want to upset another player.

I'll admit Dusty deserves praise for working around the injuries, but its very possible this team misses the playoffs in any other previous year but 2012.

That being said, thanks Bud

Well the problem with putting Hamilton on the post season roster means a veteran is going to get left off and that will probably be Ludwick. If Hamilton is going on the roster he is going to play, and then you are left with Paul on there because he is the best pinch hitter. Then it comes down to Heisey and Ludwick, and Heisey is by far a better defensive guy and he is faster than Ludwick in the need of a pinch runner.

So the outfielders on the post season roster would be Bruce, Choo, Hamilton, Paul, and Heisey.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Who is he playing poker against? IMO, the only reason he doesn't say is he doesn't want to upset another player.
    Poker players? Clint Hurdle, Mike Matheny, Don Mattingly and Fredi Gonzalez. It might not matter to these poker players if you announce these things the day after you are guaranteed a spot in the post-season. But why announce it now?

Upset another player? Nah. They are all high paid big boys. Sure someone will not like it (I hope not), but would have a heckuva time telling us why he belongs over Hamilton.

At this point it is just Dusty bashing. He has no reason to announce anything at this point. Does not owe it to me, you or any other fan. Make no mistake that Dusty and the powers to be are discussing it. And if someone gets injured in the last week, then why risk hurting an ego when it will not be necessary (Hamilton on roster due to an injury to someone else). I think staying mum is a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Well the problem with putting Hamilton on the post season roster means a veteran is going to get left off and that will probably be Ludwick. If Hamilton is going on the roster he is going to play, and then you are left with Paul on there because he is the best pinch hitter. Then it comes down to Heisey and Ludwick, and Heisey is by far a better defensive guy and he is faster than Ludwick in the need of a pinch runner.

So the outfielders on the post season roster would be Bruce, Choo, Hamilton, Paul, and Heisey.
    Actually Hamilton could replace a 5th starter or long reliever. With the extra days off most teams go lighter on pitching in the playoffs.

You can carry every viable position player:

OF
    - Bruce
    - Choo
    - Ludwick
    - Heisey
    - Paul
    - Hamilton

IF
    - Votto
    - BP
    - Cozart
    - Frazier
    - Hanahan
    - Izturis
    - Mesoraco
    - Hanigan

That's 14 guys & leaves an 11 man pitching staff. Shouldn't be an issue IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    You can carry every viable position player:

OF
    - Bruce
    - Choo
    - Ludwick
    - Heisey
    - Paul
    - Hamilton

IF
    - Votto
    - BP
    - Cozart
    - Frazier
    - Hanahan
    - Izturis
    - Mesoraco
    - Hanigan

That's 14 guys & leaves an 11 man pitching staff. Shouldn't be an issue IMO.

So if they go with 11 pitchers I would suspect:

Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Hoover
    Cingrani
    LeCure
    Marshall

and then you are left picking three from - Arroyo, Leake, Simon, Duke, Parra, and Ondrusek. That means someone that has contributed pretty heavily to the season is going to be left off. Personally I go with Leake, Duke (gives 4 lefties out of the bull pen), and Simon whom Dusty has weighed pretty heavily on all year. The Reds only need a couple long middle relief guys and LeCure is one of the best in the business, and Arroyo is the type of guy that needs an inning or two to get in the grove which isn't what you want in that type of position. So unless Arroyo is going to start, he should be left off the post season roster altogether.

That means Hamilton being on the post season roster would likely be what knocks Arroyo off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    So if they go with 11 pitchers I would suspect:

Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Hoover
    Cingrani
    LeCure
    Marshall

That means Hamilton being on the post season roster would likely be what knocks Arroyo off.
    I can't see Dusty leaving Arroyo off to put Hamilton on. I also don't see Hamilton on there leaving Ludwick off; Hamilton definitely adds an extra dimension to our game, but Ludwick might well be needed down the line.

As far as the pitchers you have automatically. Do you really think we should have Cueto, Cingrani, and Marshall? Lots of recent injuries with only short recovery time; what happens when 1 or 2 of them gets hurt again. Marshall struggled quite a bit last night as well.

I do agree that Arroyo isn't a great match for the bullpen, but I can't see him being left off the post-season roster.
    Reds record for games attended in 2014: 11-3

Most memorable game attended this season:
    Cueto out-pitching Dickey with a 19 pitch/3 strikeout 9th inning by Chapman

Turn Off Ads?