Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teen Dies After Being Hit by Pitch

Teen Dies After Being Hit by Pitch

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Teen Dies After Being Hit by Pitch

The teen was the catcher and was wearing a chest protector during the all-star team's indoor practice on Friday night. The players were getting ready for a tournament in Florida later this month.
    Practicing baseball indoors in December so they can play in a tourney in FLA... Overzealous? Ridiculous? Allow kids other parts of the year to do other things?

Baseball is a spring/summer activity for those north of the Mason-Dixon line. At least it should be IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Practicing baseball indoors in December so they can play in a tourney in FLA... Overzealous? Ridiculous? Allow kids other parts of the year to do other things?

Baseball is a spring/summer activity for those north of the Mason-Dixon line. At least it should be IMO.
    I'm not sure this discussion is appropriate here. This tragedy could have happened anytime, any place, to anyone...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

My son's 12U team is starting practice indoors this weekend. They will practice for 1 hour, one day a week. Is that overzealous or ridiculous? My son also plays basketball during this time.

There are some teams in the area that practice a lot more than that and started before Thanksgiving. Heck, there are some teams that have kids that only play baseball and they are together and practice together year round and play a fall schedule on top of the regular spring season.

Kids sports are a lot different than when I was a kid. I'm not saying I like the way things are now. I'm not saying I dislike it...it keeps them busy and active in sports year round and in some areas, it keeps the kids out of trouble and off the streets.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

My thoughts and prayers are with Thomas Adams' family during this very difficult time. It is an unfortunate tragedy and I hope the family can make it through this difficult time.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He could have fallen off a rope and and the same result, it's a shame but blaming baseball or baseball coaches and today's methods is misguided IMO.

Folks have been playing baseball inside for over 100 years and in fact it was the most popular winter sport above the Mason Dixon line in the early part of teh 20th century and from that we got softball.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53963

A real tragedy. My heart goes out to his parents, his teammates and his coaches.

Every time my son goes to the mound, it crosses my mind. Never crossed my mind when I was pitching. I think my biggest concern is how lively the bats are and the fact that the ball gets back on the pitcher so quickly.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

There is no other option to practice baseball in the midwest & northeast, etc. during the winter and early spring months. I played baseball in Ohio for middle school, high school, and in college and we practiced every day indoors. There was never any incident. He was no more at risk of being struck in the chest with a pitch indoors than he was outdoors warming up a pitcher outdoors, in a game, or even batting I know there have been some incidents with kids getting struck in the chest and it stopping their heart. It is a contact sport, so there is low percentage risk involved. But unfortunate as it may be, there was no correlation with the practice being indoors.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Something seems fishy here, like there could have been a pre-existing medical condition. Catchers get hit in the chest all the time. Was it a nasty foul-tip, just a really fast pitch, or what?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Something seems fishy here, like there could have been a pre-existing medical condition. Catchers get hit in the chest all the time. Was it a nasty foul-tip, just a really fast pitch, or what?

It's not "fishy". The article states there was no pre-existing condition. He got hit and he died. it's an accident and a horrible thing to have happen, but it isn't fishy at all.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

It's not "fishy". The article states there was no pre-existing condition. He got hit and he died. it's an accident and a horrible thing to have happen, but it isn't fishy at all.
    When I read back over my post it seems like I was making light of it. I'm not. You're absolutely right, it was a horrible accident. It just seemed a bit odd, but odd accidents do happen.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

In the summer I would umpire little league games to make extra money. A lot of the kids started wearing "heart guards" because doctors discovered that a blow or trauma to the chest with a baseball would stop the heart, condition or not. If you google or research it, it's all there. This was just a freak accident.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

'can't open the original story, but the report I heard (not sure if it was ESPN or where) said that there's a place in the heart's normal rhythm when a blow can make the heart skip a beat, and this kid's heart didn't start again (at least that's the way my non-medical mind understood what was said). The report said a chest protector is useless in such a case. Obviously it's extremely rare, but still scary that it can happen. And, of course, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    In the summer I would umpire little league games to make extra money. A lot of the kids started wearing "heart guards" because doctors discovered that a blow or trauma to the chest with a baseball would stop the heart, condition or not. If you google or research it, it's all there. This was just a freak accident.
    In this case, the kid was wearing a catcher's chest protector--which is actually FAR more substantial than one of the youth "heart guards" you were describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    In this case, the kid was wearing a catcher's chest protector--which is actually FAR more substantial than one of the youth "heart guards" you were describing.
    I've looked at those "heart guards" before and actually thought about buying one because I knew accidents have happened that have killed more than just a couple kids across the country. I decided against buying one because my son plays catcher and I figured he'd be safe because he wears a chest protector. I might go out and buy one tomorrow. In all previous accidents I've heard it was a batted ball that hit the child in the chest that caused the heart to stop.

Add to that what RANDY said about bats being so lively these days and it is truly something to have concern about. It's scary to think that this kid was wearing a chest protector and this tragedy still occurred. I'm thinking that this problem will only get worse as kids get bigger and aim to try and play against tougher competitiion. I think more research needs to be done on this and I'm hoping that we'll see better protective equipment in the near future to prevent these tragedies from occuring.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?