Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Favorite Jocketty transaction...

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade for Scott Rolen

17 17.53%
  • Signing of Aroldis Chapman

34 35.05%
  • Trade for Mat Latos

35 36.08%
  • Trade for Sean Marshall

1 1.03%
  • Signing of Ryan Madson

1 1.03%
  • Trade for Jonathan Broxton

0 0%
  • Re-signing of Broxton

0 0%
  • Trade for Shin-Soo Choo

9 9.28%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Jocketty deal?

Re: Your favorite Jocketty deal?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I do not think Scott Rolen stopped Joey Votto's panic attacks. My guess is Votto was dealing with a lot of stuff, in the wake of his father's death and who knows what else, and my impression is that he was clear-headed enough to find ways to deal with it professionally and on his own, something that's not always easy for athletes, who are encouraged to show no sign of "weakness".

That's not to minimize the Rolen effect. I love him too, and I agree that things like Phillips's handling of the media absolutely smacks of his influence. But panic attacks and depression are not the kind of thing that are cured by a strong clubhouse presence. Joey Votto is today's Joey Votto because he is tough and had the courage to deal with his stuff instead of bury it. Maybe the fancy coffee helped too.
    Good point and I agree. I was wrong to suggest that Rolen had any influence on Votto's panic attacks. In fact, I'm guessing Votto still suffers from them, as it is very rare for someone who suffers for them to ever stop suffering from them. And I am speaking from personal experience.

I should have said that Rolen likely has helped Votto deal with his panic attacks, and not let them affect him on the field. Thanks for the correction.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

I picked Chapman, but it was a difficult choice. Was considering Rolen and Latos too. At the end of this season Choo might be everyone's choice

This is like asking someone to pick their favorite Victoria's Secret model.. so many good choices.. Also, the poll doesn't even include Ludwick, which was a good move.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Im sorta bummed Jim Edmonds isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Scott Rolen transformed the culture of the organization. He gave the young talent an example, every day/night, of how a Hall of Famer prepares, plays, and carries himself as a ballplayer.

By far my favorite deal Walt has made.
    This, but also loved the Latos and Choo deals.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    This is like asking someone to pick their favorite Victoria's Secret model..
    Can Adriana Lima pitch?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Chapman was unforgettable for me. First time I really thought the organization was getting serious.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Can Adriana Lima pitch?
    Kate Upton can do whatever she wants.

Rolen. It was a sea change in the way the organization was run. It was Walt's first move to put his stamp on the organization. Just from hearing some reports I think Rolen was very instrumental in Votto's development and ultimately Votto's decision to sign a long term deal in Cincy.

I think the Latos move may have the most positive impact on the club going forward. And the Choo move signals that not only do the Reds have a nice club, they have a club looking at the playoffs as the minimum for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Really? No way? So all of our players are all of a sudden this good because of what Scott Rolen told them along the way? Joey Votto is Joey Votto because of Scott Rolen? Jay Bruce is the same way? Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman and Mat Latos are only as good as they are because of the magical words of Scott Rolen?
    Yeah I think it is a real stretch to claim that Scott Rolen had much if anything to do with making all those guys into star players. Scott Rolen is not Yoda. If his leadership was so magical why didn't his Blue Jay's teammates respond in a similar way? Why was 2011 such a bad season for the Reds with Yoda right there providing his leadership?

Scott Rolen had the good fortune of arriving in Cincinnati at the exact moment when a big crew of highly talented young players were breaking onto the scene, which confused some people into thinking that Rolen was the reason for those players' success. Some fans seem unable to distinguish the real cause and effect of the Reds' ascent into an upper echelon team. Rolen came to the right place at the right time. Considering the Reds paid him $27 million while he spent long stretches unable to play due to old age and really didn't play all that well when he was on the field, it was left to Rolen's excellent leadership to keep his acquisition from being a bust. The Latos and Chapman deals have been light-years more impactful on the team's success than the Rolen deal.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Kate Upton can do whatever she wants.
    So, you're saying it's fine with you if she wants to do the Doug(ie)? :O)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Can Adriana Lima pitch?
    Not really worried if she can or not
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So, you're saying it's fine with you if she wants to do the Doug(ie)? :O)
    Something to this extent.

Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Good point and I agree. I was wrong to suggest that Rolen had any influence on Votto's panic attacks. In fact, I'm guessing Votto still suffers from them, as it is very rare for someone who suffers for them to ever stop suffering from them. And I am speaking from personal experience.

I should have said that Rolen likely has helped Votto deal with his panic attacks, and not let them affect him on the field. Thanks for the correction.
    I feel like I'm always yelling at you and you're always supernice about it. I'm not doing it on purpose, I swear.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I feel like I'm always yelling at you and you're always supernice about it. I'm not doing it on purpose, I swear.
    I'm used to being yelled at by women and having to be nice about it

Just kidding, to be honest, I never thought you were yelling at me until you just brought it up, I guess because you always bring up good points.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?