Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next 4 Weeks

The Next 4 Weeks

Over the next 4 weeks we are going to see our Reds really tested. Starting tomorrow night we'll see 16 straight against teams over .500. While the Reds are facing possibly their most difficult stretch the Cardinals will have a much easier road to the All Star break.

Thoughts and/or predictions?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Next 4 Weeks

Predictions are tough in a long season, but I think they will be over .500, thanks to their consistent and deep starting pitching. LOTS of injuries so far (Marshall, Phillips, Brox, Ludwick, Cueto, Heisey :-)) and yet, they have the 2nd best record in the bigs.

Should be a fun run.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

4. Likes:

kbrake (06-17-2013)

I think they will do well as long as something works out for the bullpen. Admittedly that's a rather big "if."

That said, if they just won half of their remaining games this season, the Reds would have 88 wins. That would be a disappointing finish, but I'm pretty confident that they can stay at least a couple above .500 the rest of the way -- which would put the squarely in the WC hunt, if not much better than that.

I think it is going to be a fun summer of baseball.

Reds only have 14 homes games between today and August 1. They have 25 road games, mostly out west too. We will know by August 1 whether this team is a playoff team or not.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I could see around 10-6, although anything .500 or above I could live with. Hopefully the offense can pick it up some.

I'd say .500 or more. If the bullpen situation is figured out (and by "figured out" I mean the bullpen doesn't blow too many more games that were seemingly in the bag), and if Dusty does the right thing and lets Paul split starts with Heisey.

Speaking of which, if Heisey comes back that's a big unknown factor here. The guy hasn't started since, what, late April? If he comes back, we just don't know what he'll bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'd say .500 or more. If the bullpen situation is figured out (and by "figured out" I mean the bullpen doesn't blow too many more games that were seemingly in the bag), and if Dusty does the right thing and lets Paul split starts with Heisey.

Speaking of which, if Heisey comes back that's a big unknown factor here. The guy hasn't started since, what, late April? If he comes back, we just don't know what he'll bring to the table.
    Judging by what Chris has done while healthy, I wouldn't think he would bring much more than bad baseball to the table.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

10. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (06-17-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Hopefully the offense can pick it up some.
    I think this will be key.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-17-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Reds only have 14 homes games between today and August 1. They have 25 road games, mostly out west too. We will know by August 1 whether this team is a playoff team or not.
    Agree, easily the most difficult stretch of the year and much better opposing strating pitching on deck. Reds are clobbering the weak teams, I think the quality of opposition will bring up the level of the Reds on the field play.

With the Reds starting staff, not too worried although this is not a good stretch to enter with the current bullpen issues.

This is easily a WC team worst case barring something unforeseen, a complete meltdown due to more injuries piling up. The club has no depth left in AAA to shore up any position or the bullpen.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Pirates have a bunch of starting pitchers on the DL. Not sure when they come off.

Burnett
    Wandy R.
    Gomez
    McDonald

I'm guessing the Reds see Liriano, sub like Morton or Cumpton, and Locke. Correct?
    Game 1: Leake vs. Liriano - I'll give edge to Pirates in that one.
    Game 2: Latos vs. Morton? - Reds win
    Game 3: Arroyo vs. Locke - Pirates win

1-2

At Arizona
    Looking like we'll see Kennedy, Skaggs and Corbin in that series.

Kennedy vs. Bailey
    Skaggs vs. Cueto
    Corbin vs. Leake

I don't think the Reds have ever faced Kennedy. They've had 1 game each against Skaggs and Corbin with okay results.

It's away, so I'm guessing 1-2 again.

Then at Oakland for 2 games:
    Latos vs. Milone
    Arroyo vs. Griffin

Reds never seen either pitcher. Reds don't do well against pitchers they haven't seen.

0-2 or a split. Plus it's an away game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Pirates have a bunch of starting pitchers on the DL. Not sure when they come off.

Burnett
    Wandy R.
    Gomez
    McDonald

I'm guessing the Reds see Liriano, sub like Morton or Cumpton, and Locke. Correct?
    Game 1: Leake vs. Liriano - I'll give edge to Pirates in that one.
    Game 2: Latos vs. Morton? - Reds win
    Game 3: Arroyo vs. Locke - Pirates win

1-2

At Arizona
    Looking like we'll see Kennedy, Skaggs and Corbin in that series.

Kennedy vs. Bailey
    Skaggs vs. Cueto
    Corbin vs. Leake

I don't think the Reds have ever faced Kennedy. They've had 1 game each against Skaggs and Corbin with okay results.

It's away, so I'm guessing 1-2 again.

Latos vs. Milone
    Arroyo vs. Griffin

Reds never seen either pitcher. Reds don't do well against pitchers they haven't seen.

With our pitching staff alone, 2-7 is never a valid projection for a 9 game stretch. It may happen, but odds totally suggest otherwise.

Though does this mean that since you forecast a 2-7 stretch today, we will hear you rejoicing if they go 3-6? ...cause sure that would be a fresh change.

16. Likes:

Homer Bailey (06-18-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-22-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    With our pitching staff alone, 2-7 is never a valid projection for a 9 game stretch. It may happen, but odds totally suggest otherwise.

Though does this mean that since you forecast a 2-7 stretch today, we will hear you rejoicing if they go 3-6? ...cause sure that would be a fresh change.
    Dude should give up his Reds Fandom Card for the rest of the season if they finish over .500!!!

this is when winners win and losers tread water....we could lose 10 in a row and i still would not count us out....even if the cards win 10 in a row.

Latos vs. Milone
    Arroyo vs. Griffin

I'm not saying the Reds will win, but read up a little on Griffin. He's not exactly tearing it up this season. Out of the 2, I would guess the Reds win that one.

Wow, that's a bit pessemistic. 2-7?
    I'm hoping for 5-4. We can do that. Anything less than that would be a dissappointment, IMO. Of course, better would be good too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?