Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

Fix offense and defense wherever possible.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    That's my point. This simply isn't a pressing need. Give me a real, major league SS, a real LF that isn't a statue and some SP's...

My point isn't that EdE is the best we can hope for. Fine, if improving 3b is feasible, I'm all for it, but it's hardly a top 3 issue on this team.
    I'll take more offense at any position right now. Add to it better D and it will make this team better, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yep. This wouldn't be the only move. If they just trade for Rolen and go into 2010 with crap in LF and SS again, I'll disagree with this trade.

If EE goes, I'll be rooting hard for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

The key here is that this has to be done to go hand-in-hand with other moves. If it's the only move, then I feel like it's a move to make a move. As long as the other more pressing needs are addressed, then fine. But not by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    I would love to have Scott Rolen....

Seven years ago.
    If EE and one other prospect I'm all for it. I'm not an EE fan these days. Still can't play defense and as we've seen the past few days defense has killed us. We need offense two and Rolen gives you both. I like the move for 2010, but for sure not a long term solution. I could go either way here, but wouldn't mind seeing it. He does get paid a lot. Depends on payroll and a few things I'm not privied too!

One added plus to trading EE is that we'd be off the hook with waiting out his expected breakout season. There would be a similar bonus in dealing Homer for an upgraded arm.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Hard to see this as anything other than improving the team for both the remainder of 2009 and 2010.

Rolen is a better bat and a better glove than Encarnacion -- even at his age.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    One added plus to trading EE is that we'd be off the hook with waiting out his expected breakout season. There would be a similar bonus in dealing Homer for an upgraded arm.
    Except EE is older and has been playing for the Reds for a few seasons without much improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Hard to see this as anything other than improving the team for both the remainder of 2009 and 2010.

Rolen is a better bat and a better glove than Encarnacion -- even at his age.
    I agree. I'm trying to remind myself this is not the Scott Rolen that was being acquired from Philadelphia to St. Louis, but even in doing so, I can't help but think this makes the Reds a better team now and more importantly, next season. To me, this is a good trade regardless of what they would do elsewhere, though I hope they would make other corresponding moves (which it seems they intend to do).

This is more to the point I've been making about my belief Jocketty has had 2010 in mind all along.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Except EE is older and has been playing for the Reds for a few seasons without much improvement.
    My point exactly. Keeping him on the books will keep us thinking (or hoping) that he'll eventually break out. Now, we would deal him and not have to worry about him anymore.

My point exactly. Keeping him on the books will keep us thinking (or hoping) that he'll eventually break out. Now, we would deal him and not have to worry about him anymore.
    I just wouldn't think of EE like I do Bailey. But IF they do make this trade AND a couple other moves 2010 will look a lot better (to me at least).

If they trade for Rolen and re-sign Gonzalez, they can have a great defensive left side of the infield on the DL next season. I have always liked Rolen, but a 35 year old third baseman with a history of back problems sounds scary to me.

I like the way you think

All for it. This solves third base for the rest of this season and 2010. We have an eternity to worry about anything beyond that.

Do this, then get to work on SS and LF.

This would be a very good trade for 2010 if too much isn't going to Toronto.

It improves third base and gives the Reds a better hitter at the position.

Perhaps Todd Frazier would become a third baseman and would eventually replace Rolen.

Third base may not be the highest order of need, but it would be an improvment. It could not, however, be the only upgrade. It would hopefully be one of several.

Turn Off Ads?