Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds in talks with Angel Pagan and Shane Victorino

Reds in talks with Angel Pagan and Shane Victorino

Per MLB TRADERUMORS.

The Reds have had conversations with the representatives for Victorino and Angel Pagan, GM Walt Jocketty confirmed to John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer. "Nothing formal though," added the GM, who confirmed speaking with Ludwick's agent as recently as last week.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#hYct4Oevs2348Wjh.99
    I know Victorino was mentioned before, but I believe this is the first I heard of Pagan?

It was also noted the reds are targeting a LF Lead off hitter, and Denard Span was someone they were eyeing before being traded to the Nats.

Hopefully Pagan is a Red in 2013...lol...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds in talks with Angel Pagan and Shane Victorino

Victorino would be my guess right now, they liked him at the deadline but didn't want to pay the price. Plus Pagan has a 4 year offer from the Giants and Phillies according to Rosenthal.

I think Victorino could actually be cheaper.

Salukifan2

If youre gonna get the pagan from the playoffs jump on it

No way Pagan fits into WJ's plan. This is just him playing the market. I could see Walt stealing Victorino on a one-year deal similar to the Madson signing last year, a value re-builder.

Ideally Walt finds a stop-gap CF for cheap (Crisp could be had for very little) and makes a bigger deal for a LF. There's enough in farm to get a Willingham or even Upton without completely draining the system. Choo could be had for less. And at the very least, he can wait out the market and sign a Ludwick/Ross type.

This team needs a Victorino or Pagan type of personality. Pagan won't quite be worth what he'll get and Victorino has declined a bit. Coco is an amazing defensive CF.

Any of them and I'l be happy.

I want Pagan.....I think he can just slide over to LF, when/after Billie arrives. Now, talk about a nice top of the order. Woot Woot

I would love Pagan, but he will cost more and I don't know the budget. Victorino is better than what we have, but I think his career has jumped the shark. All things being equal I'd prefer Pagan. And I agree with Tuff that he can just slide over to LF when Slidin' Billy is ready for the show.

Depending on the necessary prospect haul, I would prefer Fowler over them both, but that's a whole other topic.

A question about Billy Hamilton: why couldn't he just slide over to left?

We keep hearing about he's being converted to CF, but that it isn't his natural position. So... why don't we just make him a left fielder? Are we really all being sucked into the "he's fast, so CF" mind trap? If we did sign a Victorino or Pagan, why not let them stick at the position? CF is widely known to be the hardest outfield position to play, so why does Hamilton need to play there? Couldn't he do LF just as well?

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    A question about Billy Hamilton: why couldn't he just slide over to left?

We keep hearing about he's being converted to CF, but that it isn't his natural position. So... why don't we just make him a left fielder? Are we really all being sucked into the "he's fast, so CF" mind trap? If we did sign a Victorino or Pagan, why not let them stick at the position? CF is widely known to be the hardest outfield position to play, so why does Hamilton need to play there? Couldn't he do LF just as well?
    He doesn't. It's just that LF is a less demanding position to play defensively, so that's a position you can "hide" a power hitter who doesn't field well.

It would not be a bad move for the Reds to improve the top of the order with a legitimate OBP guy to hedge the bet that Billy Hamilton isn't a sure-fire, future Hall of Famer. He's still a prospect... one I'm thrilled about, but I don't think you can plan ahead assuming he's a guarantee to dominate at the MLB level when he makes it. If you improve CF or LF with an OBP guy you either have an option to help if Billy struggles, or you have a beastly top of the order with both of them.

All that said, I think if the Reds are going to look for a legitimate and confident solution for the spot, I think it's going to have to happen through a trade.

Wrong all the time, but I don't see the Reds opening their wallets for Victorino, Pagan, Bourn, etc. If they go the FA route, it will be a marginal improvement. If they go the trade route, it might really cause some ripples.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Depending on the necessary prospect haul, I would prefer Fowler over them both, but that's a whole other topic.
    Seems like an awfully good candidate.

Pagan has just signed a 4 year deal to stay in San Francisco. Another candidate gone.

Turn Off Ads?